Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

VGF Tabletop RPG thread; looking for guinea pigs, I have cookies.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 2467 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 17, 2012 4:13:38 AM PST
I had planned on playing some sort of cleric.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 4:19:04 AM PST
Cool, you'll like playing a cleric, Cap'n. They're pretty versatile. I wan't to start making my paladin, but I'm not sure if we're gonna use point buy or rolling for stats. I found my bag o' dice from back in the day and I'm itching to roll them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 4:35:32 AM PST
Oops! Sorry, I did miss it. I just sent you an email with a link to the website and my server info.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 4:36:27 AM PST
I am excite!

I spent the weekend thinking about my backstory and am going to post some ideas here sometime today.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:54:13 AM PST
Thanks.

So between a cleric and an oracle, even if they aren't dedicated healers, do you guys think we have sufficient healing mettle for our group?

@Evan
Daft mentioned a few pages back that he prefers roll 4d6 drop the lowest, so I think that's what we're doing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:09:33 AM PST
If they spec just a little bit for it, we should be good. I mean, I'm a big fan of keeping as many potions as possible.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 1:34:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 5:05:04 PM PST
@Daft
Okay, so slavery is illegal in this kingdom, and it sounds like people aren't really bought and sold (at least not commonly) in the neighboring two, but how often are servants treated as property by nobles? The backstory I'm writing right now is of a vishkanya (who are listed as an uncommon race and described as exotic in the materials, so I'm treating them as being exceptionally rare, at least in the city she grew up in) who, along with her mother, was captured and sold not long after her birth. They're passed around from hand to hand on the black market for a while as an exotic pair (with her mother receiving the usual attentions), until her mother passed away of illness when she was five, after which point she landed in the hands of a minor courtier who fancies himself a collector of peculiar things. He takes her in as a sort of prize of his collection, and later has her tutored in singing with the purpose of her becoming a sort of household entertainer. In some ways, she's almost treated as part of the family, though in others she's still treated as property; I'm just wondering how that would fly in the three kingdoms you mentioned if she was legally treated as a servant, at least after the courtier purchases her on the black market.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 4:52:48 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
I'm thinking my oracle will be from a lo-tech village. Maybe a barbarian clan or something. However, that's about as far as I've gotten so far, lol. It would be cool to get a bigger world picture though. Maybe an email detailing whatever has been made up so far?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 5:30:49 PM PST
"Daft mentioned a few pages back that he prefers roll 4d6 drop the lowest, so I think that's what we're doing."

Ok cool. At least that means the possibility of a 3 in a stat is pretty damned low, ha ha.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 5:32:34 PM PST
I believe the probability is under 0.001.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 5:36:30 PM PST
DVvM says:
A good alternative I've used to "4d6 drop low" is actually "roll 24d6, note every die roll, drop low 6, assemble remaining 18 into six triplets however you like, use those for your stats."

It doesn't really produce characters significantly more powerful than "4d6 drop 1" and it's a little more homework, but I feel it gives you a little more customizability.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 5:46:15 PM PST
So I joined Roll20.net and the more I'm looking into this the more excited I'm getting about the idea so count me in!

Is there a group that has been put together yet on there? And looking over this thread some (mainly the last page or so) it seems like people are starting to pick classes, race, and what have you, guessing Roll20 does character sheets or are we on our own for that?

Sorry about being woefully behind on this and if this information has already been covered lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 5:49:18 PM PST
I've been using these:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetindex.php

with info from this:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 5:54:25 PM PST
DVvM says:
I've been using this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Agyi5tgUTatCdHRjUDdreGliOU41RTVnZ1VXNWFnQkE&hl=en_US

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 5:54:41 PM PST
Sweet man thanks, and we're doing pathfinder then I take it? Never ran anything on that before so it looks like I've got lots of learning to do.

Who is going to be the DM?

Also those Dark Souls fixes worked like a charm. My roommate was worshiping me when he got home from work and I had completely fixed his setup lol. Now the only problem is his controller's right analog stick keeps wanting to always look down so he has to get a new one lol. That's what happens when you buy MadKatz!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:05:50 PM PST
Lol, I'm glad everything else is running great!

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 6:07:00 PM PST
Roll 20 is streaming a DnD game on twitch if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.twitch.tv/roll20app

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:09:03 PM PST
Daft is the DM.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 6:13:12 PM PST
DVvM says:
I don't know the setting well, so I'll ask the DM: "Is there a place north of where the campaign takes place that I can be from, and whose language I can speak in addition to common (and any bonus languages from high INT)"?

If so, can I have a name for that place and that language so I can put it on the character sheet?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:17:30 PM PST
Yea it is running beautifully however we discovered co-op sucks in Dark Souls. Nothing like getting ganked all day trying to beat the Rooftop Boss together...

@ Christmas

Thanks dood!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:26:00 PM PST
All the Pathfinder stuff is available online at the link Capt posted, but the PDFs of all the books are only $10 each.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:26:56 PM PST
Cool. Definitely will not being doing the video chat thing, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:31:07 PM PST
I'm looking over some of it now but didn't realize the PDFs were up for sale.

This all feels a little daunting but I'm sure I'll be picking things up as I go along and learning from you guys as well. I'm terrible when it comes to just reading things and then applying it straight away to the game without having someone else there to put a spin on things if that makes sense.

Really impressed with how all this stuff is online now though, would have made things so much easier back in the day lol.

And I don't even have a web cam for the video chat but voice chat I'm all over.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:34:57 PM PST
Capt already set up a Vent channel for us, too.

Mechanics are similar to 3.5. For now, just take a look at races and classes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:38:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 6:47:16 PM PST
How far north are we speaking? Myr is up towards the antarctic, but it's kinda barren because of the hostile environment. In case someone is wondering that is familiar with the IP, I've got my own world that I'm using that I had created years ago when I was going big into D&D, and we're just going to be using the Pathfinder ruleset so don't be too shocked if my map doesn't match up with yours. It's much easier for me to use something that I already have and am familiar with.

@John: Are you talking about slavery as in, "I own you so you are nothing more than an item to be used as I see fit until I break you" or "You work my fields and follow all of my orders, but I house and feed you as long as you behave"? I've got both kinds, but I really need to know what you're looking for. We've got both, but the differences between 'cultures' are diametrically opposed to one another. I would advise not going option 1 unless you want to have had some serious stuff done to you and those you cared for. Let's just say that those people make the Zhentarim look like carebear human rights activists.

Edit: If anyone has any questions that they don't want to share here, either message me on facebook(I'm Jason V****) or you can email me at daftpathfinder@hotmail.com
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  2467
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  May 25, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions