Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Dark Souls, new start

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 51 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 8:39:53 AM PST
Iso says:
So, I beat Dark Souls on PS3 with my no magic, all melee, no assistance, all manly run. Now that I got it on PC, I am unsure on how I want to play it. I want to experience as much as possible, so maybe I should be summoning the help at the bosses. Maybe some spells or whatnot.

Help me decide which way to go.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:47:49 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Magic is incredibly fun and rewarding in Dark Souls. The first time I played it I did the same thing you did. I didn't even have XBL, so I was offline the entire time, no magic at all on my first run (not even the light spell for the Tomb of the Giants) and I did all melee as well.

Magic will make you feel even more bad ass than swinging the Black Knight Great Axe around.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:49:23 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:32:56 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:49:45 AM PST
"Magic will make you feel even more bad ass than swinging the Black Knight Great Axe around."

Until you face a crystal enemy that is nearly immune to spell damage, hehe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:50:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 8:50:51 AM PST
Iso says:
Same here, this is my issue. Maybe I should just play it the way I always play it then...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:51:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 8:52:41 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Melee is easy; magic requires a good understanding of the magic types and time invested to get the spells and of the overall game and enemies themselves (as Capt pointed out). They're not just like weapon drops, you have to fulfill certain requirements, like saving people, to even be able to buy spells/miracles, even then you have to have high enough stats before Big Hat Logan will even teach you.

A hybrid character would be a good introduction to magic. Bring some spells along to use and get the feel for it, but always have your back up melee weapon on hand.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:52:27 AM PST
You can still make a melee caster that uses one of the enchantment spells or miracles.

My faith build uses that sunlight enchantment thingy for my sword and deals pretty decent damage with a +15 weapon. He's still melee, but I also have WoG and lightning spears to throw if I really need to.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:53:49 AM PST
Iso says:
So all magic might be even more difficult eh?

I may need to reroll.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:57:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 8:57:35 AM PST
Correct. And it is entirely possible to have a melee-centered magic or faith build. I just depends on how you want to play. Maybe you'll opt for magic shield or weapon instead of going for long ranged spells.

You can just go for enchantments, melee-ranged spells, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:00:11 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Also, spoilers:

I think that big hat logan is one of the hardest fights in the game, and if he wants all the spells, he'll have to fight him.

end spoilers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:02:17 AM PST
Reply to spoilers:

I walked in like a boss in Havel's armor with either a CRS or Crest shield, ran up to him, and beat the everloving poo out of him with my +10 fire washing pole.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:03:10 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Nice. I had to pick him off with arrows from the archway because I went up there totally unprepared and he unleashed one of his homing soul masses on me and took me down to like 20 HP and I had no Estus left.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:04:25 AM PST
Ouch! Well, yeah that would make it mighty difficult. I still had to chug my estus.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:04:57 AM PST
Iso says:
Well, which starting character would be the good for the all magic focus?

Or should I go faith based?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:05:42 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
You need an Intelligence of 15 before you can even buy spells from Logan.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:06:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 9:08:35 AM PST
Up to you, it depends on the spells you want. Faith only has 3 ranged spells and I believe it is much more melee focused.

However, that means you don't have access to the much more expansive sorcery library either. They're both fun. I recommend trying them both out.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:09:11 AM PST
Iso says:
Like buffs and whatnot?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:09:45 AM PST
Iso says:
Well I picked the one character that is basically naked at start, only three levels away from that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:13:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 9:16:49 AM PST
Faith has some slick spells like:

Kharmic Justice
Regeneration and healing spells
A homeward spell
Wrath of God
Lightning Spears
Sunlight weapon enchantment
One that increases signs seen
Gravelord sword dances
And some others I can't think of at the moment

Magic has:
Ranged magic spears, homing spells, single-target spells
Shield and weapon enchantments
fire defense
Falling damage reducer
light spell
one that makes you into an object

EDIT: Also, being in one of the three friendly faith based covenants will increase your chances of co-oping with people in that covenant as well I think. - Princess Guard, SunBros, and Whites.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:16:49 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Ha, the Depraved character.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:17:41 AM PST
And if you go faith, you'll always have divine weapons vs the undead and those dang respawning skeletons.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:19:09 AM PST
Iso says:
Hmm choices.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:20:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 9:21:12 AM PST
I say, make a cleric and try it out, then make a sorcerer and try it out.

See which you enjoy more, and go from there. You can always play through one and then create the other. At least this way you start with a spell or two and have quick access to that path.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:21:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 9:22:27 AM PST
For PvE magic is great! I found it a lot easier to take out 4 kings and S & O with my mage.

If you go this way remember to get the Master Key and to also buy the residence key from the first merchant in undead burg. That way you can free Griggs of Vinheim in Lower Undead Burg, and so you can free Big Hat Logan in Sens.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:28:08 AM PST
Chris... says:
Pyro is probably the strongest sorcery out of the three but it's range and area of effect is the smallest of the three. Pyro is also the easiest to use and upgrade as all that's required is the glove.

Magic and Faith can be buffed with equipment and weapons/armor to be one just as strong as Pyro but it's going to require you pump a lot into Int and/or Fatih to use the stronger spells.

I would start out with Pyro then once you're able to join the warriors of sunlight and obtain the lighting spear miracles I would kick pyro to the curb and pump everything into faith.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  51
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions