Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

General Wii U impressions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 112 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2012 7:45:28 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
i havent seen any threads like this yet, so, for those that got it, what are your initial impressions?

NSMB: played single player and some 2 player, pretty fun so far. it looks great and feels like a general mario game. pretty impressed so far, half way through the second world.

Scribblenauts: played for about twenty minutes, and it is fun so far. havent really gotten into it yet, but plays well.

Tekken tag tourney 2: controls great. touch screen helps for me because i suck at fighters, makes combos easier. only played through the story mode (if that is what it's called)

Nintendoland: played with a friend last night. fun mini games, shows what the system can do.

what are your thoughts?

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:47:20 AM PST
AC from NJ says:
Ugh!!!!! Mine is in a box waiting to be wrapped and put under the Christmas tree!!!!! Can't wait to play it with my kids!

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:47:24 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I played AC3 almost exclusively, and I must say that I agree with the Kotaku or Destructoid article that said playing console games on this tablet is game changing. It's incredible. And walking around with the game running? Epic.

I played a little Nintendo Land, but I want to get the wife in on it. I have a bunch of games coming by Wednesday: ZombiU, NSMBU, Sonic kart racer, Darksiders 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:51:32 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
i wanted to get a game like AC3 for it, but i am not a fan of the series, dont like Mass effect, and have darksiders 2 for 360. i think the next game i am going to pick up is the sonic racing game. i am waiting on zombiU.

i love how i will be able to play NSMB on the tablet while we watch tv. atleast i am under the impression that i can. same with the browser.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:53:04 AM PST
Soulshine says:
What do you mean "walking around with the game running"? Like playing it just on the tablet screen?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:53:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 7:54:05 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Yeah, like I can take it to another room and still play it on the tablet.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:55:35 AM PST
Phranctoast says:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500430

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:56:04 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
I watched my brothers set it up and transfer from the Wii U. Then I got bored and went back to my house after it became clear they were going to be spending even more time setting up.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:56:38 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Ok - that is a really cool feature. Especially with games that aren't non-stop action like Assassin's Creed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:00:36 AM PST
Mel says:
awesome for toilet

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:01:56 AM PST
S. Brown says:
After spending a few hours setting it up (downloading the update and transferring content from my Wii) I finally got around to playing some Nintendoland last night. The minigames seem fun, though not overwhelming. I don't see Nintendoland having the kind of replay value that Wii Sports had.

The interface on the system seems clunky, but that may just be because I'm not used to it yet. Transferring data from the Wii was an overly complicated process and I'm not sure why it had to be so. Load times seem unreasonably long within the system menus, also, but that may be something that is just a first-day bug.

I'm not sure why playing Wii games requires you to load what essentially amounts to an in-system emulator. When I play a PS1 game on the PS3, it just loads up like a normal disc. With the WiiU, you have to go to a separate menu system. Seems like they could've integrated the two better.

The system shows some promise, and I admittedly haven't played anything other than Nintendoland, but I'm very skeptical about the dual screen system being utilized much outside of first-party Nintendo games.

In short, I don't regret my purchase, but I do feel a bit underwhelmed with the U so far.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:03:27 AM PST
I had some friends and family over last night and we played lots of NintendoLand. It's way more fun than it has a right to be but I just don't see this as being any more than something you play with a few people around.

Mighty Switch Force Hyper Drive Edition- Not too far into it but it's a lot like an expansion of the 3DS game. Platforming with intense timing.

Nano Assault Neo- I like this quite a bit. Arcade type shooter with a Super Stardust vibe.

Will play NSMBU and more ZombiU later today.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:08:38 AM PST
M. Lewis says:
"Ugh!!!!! Mine is in a box waiting to be wrapped and put under the Christmas tree!!!!! Can't wait to play it with my kids! "

You may want to turn it on and at least let it run through the initial update or your kids will be waiting a while on Christmas morning.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:20:18 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
My Wii U arrives today...sometime before 3:00. Very frustrating to wait...

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:24:24 AM PST
Susan_G says:
I have done zero research on the Wii U - but we may get one, just b/c we've owned every other Nintendo console since the beginning. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't run Gamecube discs like the Wii did, but can anyone confirm one way or the other? We have a broken Gamecube, and our Wii recently broke, and I've been holding off on buying anything new until we decide whether to get the Wii U. Not sure if we'll still need to replace the Gamecube (the kids have a few beloved games they don't want to part with).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:24:43 AM PST
Cinema Fan says:
Kids need to learn patience.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:25:14 AM PST
Frankenzubaz says:
Can't wait? Actually, it sounds like you can. "hey, look, kids, Santa was nice enough to set it up and test it out for you for a month. Now that's quality assurance!"

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:26:47 AM PST
Susan_G says:
Cinema Fan - ha! Very true, but I'm not sure Xmas morning is the time to teach them that. It's actually a really good idea to run the initial setup now, to make sure everything is working properly, and also so the family can enjoy playing games together on Xmas day rather than sitting at the screen staring at a progress bar.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:26:48 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
My uncle used to do that to us all the time. He would hand us opened games and tell us how good they were.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:28:23 AM PST
No Gamecube games for Wii U but if you can find a cheap, ORIGINAL MODEL Wii that will play those games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:29:16 AM PST
That and I could see Ninty repackaging Gamecube games for the WiiU down the road. Maybe even do some upgrading a la Sony's collections.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:42:00 AM PST
Frankenzubaz says:
Must be a regional thing, referring to the privvy as a tablet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:54:37 AM PST
M. Lewis says:
As already mentioned, the Wii U does not play Gamecube games. You mentioned you had both a broken Gamecube and a broken Wii. Broken how? If it has a physical problem you can probably replace the parts yourself. For example replacement DVD drives for the Wii run about $26 here. Not too hard to do yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:59:20 AM PST
Frankenzubaz says:
That game sitting there for a month, all paid for, with no one playing it: That's just a waste of money, right there. And a waste of time. And since time is money, that's double money, right down the drain!

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 9:04:17 AM PST
Junkiiiii says:
I hate when I don't preorder things I really want. Every store around me is completely out. Or everyone I called/visited lied to hold some for Black Friday.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Well I am for good this time 2 3 minutes ago
Madden 15 Thread 65 10 minutes ago
OT: This is the story, of a lovely thread, with 10,000 very lovely posts. All of them had words of fun, like the last one, the first one with downvotes! 8591 10 minutes ago
Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition thread 494 10 minutes ago
Xbox Gamers Are Helping Sony Beat Microsoft 1 12 minutes ago
EA Sports under fire for sexist selfies in NHL 15 1 16 minutes ago
Bayonetta 2 NA Official Release Date 14 24 minutes ago
Weekend Gaming 8/29 - 8/31 90 30 minutes ago
I Now Own a Playstation 4! 28 1 hour ago
10 things yoy LOVE & 10 Things you HATE... 22 1 hour ago
Diablo 2.1 patch tomorrow! 137 1 hour ago
Just picked up a mint Xbox 360 MW2 Console w/ 250GB HDD and 3 controllers for $10 33 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  112
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions