Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Obama's speech last night in CT...thoughts? Opinions?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 512 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2012 6:11:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 6:13:11 AM PST
Did you guys watch it? What did you think?

A few quotes:

"These tragedies must end. And to end them, we must change."

"In the coming weeks, I'll use whatever power this office holds..."

"We can't accept events like this as routine. Are we really prepared to say that we're powerless in the face of such carnage? That the politics are 'too hard'? Are we prepared to say that such violence visited on our children year, after year, after year is somehow the price of our freedom?"

Brace yourselves. The hard push for gun control is coming.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 6:14:24 AM PST
We'll see what happens. Lot's of people saying he's going to ban guns period...lol good luck with that. It's nearly impossible to amend the constitution much less remove guns from america. Now he could possibly fight to put tougher restrictions on guns but unfortunately that's going to be tough too. One of those senators said they were going to ban assault guns like the ones used in the shooting...I may be wrong but wasn't the shooter just carrying two basic handguns and a rifle that he left in the car?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:16:21 AM PST
Considering that so many conservatives were expecting gun control to be a lynch pin of his administration and considering that it took his having to go to town for four separate gun slayings in his four years in office, I think that he will probably push for something but it won't be so over dramatic as people thing. The guy leans left to be sure, but he's still center left.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 6:18:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 6:18:56 AM PST
In the 60's and 70's we needed guns to protect us from our government .. in the 80's we needed guns to protect us from the cold war impending invasion of "commies" ... in the 90's we needed guns to protect us from a "race war" that never came and now we just need guns to protect ourselves from all of the other nuts with guns. Water finds it level eventually and we're all victims of our own fears.

If anything is ever going to change in this country people need to start being honest with themselves. There is something very wrong with America. And it's not movies or video games.

I found the President's words comforting. Hopefully the folks in Newtown did too.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 6:19:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 6:21:03 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
I didn't watch it but I heard snippets on NPR this morning.

How does he plan on using his power to keep these kinds of things from happening exactly?

Edit: Interestingly, my brother-in-law who lives in Canada was pestering me about "isn't it time for gun control" on Friday. My answer: "Nope".

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 6:19:45 AM PST
Bertie_16 says:
The shooter used an assault rifle to shoot all the people and used the hand gun on himself. So in total he had three weapons on his person and one in the car.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 6:20:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 6:20:24 AM PST
And the problem about gun control is that you would be relying on law abiding citizens to obey, for a criminal or someone who is going to commit a crime or murder it's highly doubtful they would use legal means to get a gun for what they want.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:21:33 AM PST
FOGE says:
He left the rifle in the car. He used handguns in the shooting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:21:46 AM PST
Except that doesn't seem to be a problem in ANY OTHER INDUSTRIALIZED NATION.

Unless we want to compare ourselves to Serbia or the Sudan or Mexico. Is that America's benchmark? Why is it possible for every other nation to keep the guns out of the hands of criminals but we can't?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:21:49 AM PST
Really? Capitalizing on the emotional wake of a tragedy like this is something politicians are good at.

Look at the above statements, those are the kind of phrases uttered by would-be dictators to usher in totalitarian policies. It's always "for the children" or under the guise of "protecting the citizens."

What happened in CT was truly horrific and sad. I offer my condolences to everyone involved. However, this crime should not be an excuse to surrender more liberty to the federal government.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:22:31 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Exactly.

There's two solutions:
1) Remove all guns.
2) Put MORE guns in the hands of sane people.

Gun control as envisioned by its advocates is really the worst of both choices.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:24:02 AM PST
While it might help to soothe and calm some of the people in that town and the country sadly I think no words of comfort will soothe the heartache of the families that lost children or loved ones in this horrific tragedy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:25:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 6:26:21 AM PST
Because guns are as American as apple pie, they're a part of our culture and were written into our governing documents. How would you propose that the government "keep guns out of the hands of criminals" without infringing on your rights?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:26:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 6:26:10 AM PST
Simple. I don't consider it a "right" to own a gun.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:26:45 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Unfortunately, the Constitution disagrees with you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:26:49 AM PST
Really? The plain text of the second amendment isn't enough for you?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:26:55 AM PST
I hope your joking about the last part of your statement, I mean what country has truly secured weapons from criminals? I mean England/Japan/France/Germany/Spain/Russia/Italy most of their criminals seem to get weapons just fine so I don't see them doing any better of keeping guns out of hands their criminal.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 6:27:15 AM PST
I love how people keep referring to the Constitution. You do realize that was written in 1776 and probably needs to be updated. Our forefathers wrote in the right to bear arms to protect ourselves from the invading nations, as we were a new one at the time, not so we can all buy guns and kill each other haphazardly.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 6:27:34 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Gang violence might be a gun control issue.

Mass murder of small children is a mental health issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:28:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 6:28:27 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
****ing constitution. Those laws are more for criminals than regular civilians.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:28:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 6:31:21 AM PST
Ice King says:
I think everyone is being a bit sick about this tragedy.

There seems to be some kind of competition to have the biggest tribute to the victims, and everyone is playing.
Facebook was flooded with pictures of the kids along with generic platitudes about meaningless things, every news show has been running montages of them nonstop, SNL opened with a group of children singing Silent Night, and Fox decided not to air Family Guy and American Dad.
There was even a warning before Dexter saying something about sensitive people and the recent CT shooting. I guess it was for the people who had never seen the show before and decided that the season 7 finale would be a great place to start.

This is going to end up like every other tragedy we've had before, everyone is going to publicly cry about it and say we need to do something for a few weeks until the next distraction comes along and we forget about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:28:49 AM PST
Look up some statistics on how many people are killed each year with guns in those countries and then come back and tell me they aren't doing a better job than us keeping guns out of the hands of criminals. I'm not joking. Are you?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:29:44 AM PST
You asked a question and I answered it. I don't use a 300 year old piece of paper to dictate how I personally feel about myself or my country. We may as well use the bible to dictate our laws .. oh wait ...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:30:18 AM PST
This guy used legal means. His mom was an avid gun collector, he just grabbed a couple of her guns and a few boxes of ammo and went to do his awful thing. Restrictions on gun ownership would have made this guy's thing harder to do, but regular criminals would still have no problems getting guns.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:30:49 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Exactly, my brother-in-law on Friday said, "I'm glad to not have to worry about owning a gun" and I asked him how the murder rate in our hometown was going. He said they were going to have a record year this year. "But that's all just gangbangers". Yeah, no need to worry.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  512
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions