Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Does anyone know if this Seagate Portable Hard Drive will work on my Wii U?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 9:56:47 PM PST
Jawwaad says:
Seagate Expansion 750 GB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (STBX750100)

Target has them on sale this week for $39.99. Does anyone know if I can use this on my Wii U?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 9:59:31 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
You should be able to. It supports hard drives up to 2 TB I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:00:48 PM PST
Jawwaad says:
Thanks Bear. 750 GB is more than enough for me and at $39 plus my discounts, I had to get this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:05:15 PM PST
Are you getting error code 150-1093 from your shiny (very shiny) new Wii U? Reader Matt did, and it was a bummer. Games were freezing at load, leaving him with a confusing error code and no Mario.

Nintendo support told him that this code results when you try to load a game from an external hard drive that isn't powered. Nintendo has warned that only hard drives plugged into the wall or into two USB ports with a Y cable will be supported, and now we see the problem.

The short-term solution is simpler than getting a new hard drive or cable, though. Just go into your system settings and transfer the game's data to your system when playing. "This process takes approximately 2 minutes to complete," Matt tells us. It's another annoying user experience hiccup - why not just tell users "hey, go plug in your hard drive?" - but at least it's easily dealt with.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/20/how-to-live-through-wii-u-error-code-150-1093/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This should answer your question about what drives are supported and what happens when you use one that isn't supported.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:10:49 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
Wow this is kind of lame. Most external hard drives are now powered through the USB port. I guess the Wii-U can't transfer data and supply 5 volts through the USB at the same time. I'm starting to become more and more glad I didn't get one right away.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:12:16 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
It looks like your hard drive may not work after all according to Keji's article, unless you get a Y-cable for USB or just transfer games to internal memory first. Still it's a good price for a 750GB external HD.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:14:53 PM PST
Well you can't play games off of drives that don't have an external power source but you can still use them to store data and such. I'm thinking this has more to do with transfer rates than the Wii-U not being able to supply enough power through the USB port (it's a USB port, kind of hard to screw that up). Now I could be wrong here but I think the USB powered drives like the one Jawwaad posted have slower transfer rates than ones with an external power source. Heck I'm not even sure if I could install PC games on a drive like that and be able to plug in and play on my system.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 10:14:58 PM PST
C2G / Cables to Go 28107 USB 2.0 Mini-B Male to 2 USB A Male Y-Cable (6 Feet, Black)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:17:35 PM PST
Jawwaad says:
Damn, I know nothing about external hard drives. So is this article saying that I need a hard drive that I plug into the wall?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:18:52 PM PST
I'm pretty clueless on external drives as well but I think if you used something like what Jason posted along with that drive you should be good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:20:24 PM PST
That or use the cables I linked to above.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 10:20:59 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
Reading some of the comments on the article Keji posted, it looks like some people can't get it to work even with Y-cables.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 10:24:31 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
Another solution could also be to buy a powered USB hub, plug that into the wall and the Wii-U, and plug the hard drive into that. That would probably work better than a Y-cable.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions