Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

EarthBound Creator Confirms Something Is In The Pipeline

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 3:00:39 PM PST
>>"Looks set to be a re-release

The EarthBound series, known as Mother in Japan, has only ever had one game released in North America way back in 1995 when EarthBound (Mother 2) emerged on the Super Nintendo. The game has a large cult following in North America and is incredibly popular in Japan.

Creator of the series, Shigesato Itoi, has confirmed via his Twitter page that there is going to be more from the series in the near future, however it is not going to be Mother 4, it looks to be a re-release instead.

Since I'm allowed to drop it on you all now, I'll just go ahead and say it. The "Mother re-release" I'd mentioned a bit before, we're making progress on that. It's not 4! We're trying to get Mother working again right now. I still can't mention any details, but I have to make clear that this isn't `4'!

It could be likely that the Mother series is being prepared for a Virtual Console release in Japan, perhaps on the 3DS. If this is the case then it would make the game a lot easier to distribute to regions outside of Nintendo's homeland and the West could finally get hold of more EarthBound games.

What are your thoughts? Would you like to see EarthBound appear on the Virtual Console? Let us know in the comments below."<<

[via twitter.com, siliconera.com]

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/12/earthbound_creator_confirms_something_is_in_the_pipeline

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 3:03:00 PM PST
I saw this earlier this morning. After the huge push from the Earthbound community only brought indifference from Nintendo I refuse to get my hopes up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 3:10:53 PM PST
JWK says:
I've wanted this since 2005/6 when it became apparent that Mother 3 wasn't ever going to come to GBAs anywhere outside of Japan. I'm hoping for this to happen. I really am. But I have a sinking feeling that progress will be made, the games will be ready for distribution as a Wii U compilation disc, everyone's happy and screaming from the rooftops... and then Nintendo of America says, "Nope. Not gonna localize it." Because it doesn't have Mario in the title and they're tools.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 3:23:57 PM PST
I loved Earthbound. One of my favorite games of all time. I would like to see a actual sequel, but doubt that will happen.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 3:24:57 PM PST
Gameresq says:
I will buy it on release day.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:29:31 PM PST
yeah! I can finally play it. I remember my friend talking so much good about this game back in the day and I was like "pssh I got my Chrono Triggers and my Secrets of my Mana." I guess he was right, since it's over $100 now for a used copy=greatness.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:16:07 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
There is a sequel. It's called Mother 3 and even though it was never released in North America there is an English translation patch for it.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 5:25:12 AM PST
I read the post and all I got from it was, "We're trying to get Mother working again right now." I've never played the games, but I'm guessing that Mother is the name of either the antagonist or protagonist. Otherwise, this statement just takes on some weird overtones. In case anyone is wondering if I'm joking, I'm not. Never played the series and only know of it by people talking about it on here.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:49:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 5:49:57 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
Mother is not the name of the protagonist or antagonist actually. Mother 1 and 3 were never released in North America but Mother 2 was as Earthbound.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:20:54 AM PST
I really want to play all these games just to see what all the hoopla is about. I'd buy this DAY 1!

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:26:45 AM PST
This is good news for me! I have never played this series but I have heard really good things about the games so I would definitely be interested.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions