Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

When was the first time video game violence shocked you?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-119 of 119 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 15, 2012 12:12:08 AM PST
State of Emergency.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 12:40:34 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 15, 2013 7:30:58 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:35:44 AM PST
Technosapien says:
Sub-Zero's fatality in MK1. I was a little shocked, but thought it was awesome!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:14:41 AM PST
WolfPup says:
I think it was worse than that even :-D

I thought the exact opposite about losing the script-I've never seen anything as viseral as God of War 3. 2, Chains of Olympus, and Ghost of Sparta are all awesome too, but 3...wow.

Raven's excellent Wolverine game comes next closest I'd say, and of course The Force Unleashed is amaaaaaazing, but GoW3 takes the cake in terms of ummm....

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 6:19:19 AM PST
Journey

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 6:45:53 AM PST
D says:
Mortal Kombat was intense for the time, but I think Doom was the first game that actually shocked me. Timekillers was also ridiculously violent, I'd say maybe even a bit more than Mortal Kombat, mostly because you could lose limbs mid-combat and be decapitated at any time. That dismemberment was actually part of the gameplay was pretty nasty. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2_hzLmkpHs

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 6:46:53 AM PST
Windwaker, didn't expect that sword to the skull.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:37:00 AM PST
pyroguy says:
for me, it's the sequence before that, where Isaac is walking through the nursery and sees a mother calling over her Necromorph-ish child, and all you see is the mother exploding and her blood splatters the entire window

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:45:06 AM PST
Probably Doom. Odd since I was utterly unaffected by Wolfenstein 3D.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:46:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 7:48:08 AM PST
Because it was just over the top and brutal for no reason. By "the script" at one point Kratos was a mildly sympathetic character, after that he became the bad guy. He murdered a bunch of people who were defending their home, why would I want to continue "being" that guy? Awful.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 9:31:33 AM PST
Mortal Kombat - I forget whether it was the Cage's Uppercut Fatality or Scorpion's Fire Breath Fatality. I was already used to Street Fighter II by this time. Tripped me out.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 9:37:23 AM PST
Pulling the spinal cord out of Johnny Cage as Sub Zero most likely (I think that was Sub Zero).

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 10:16:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 10:19:16 AM PST
captain ku says:
i mean twisted metal black beware of the evil clown.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:26:36 PM PST
I don't get the hate that Kratos receives as a character. His brother was taken from him (then killed), he's obligated to murder innocents to repay his debts to Ares, he accidentally murdered the wife and child, he gets reunited with his daughter only to be forced to abandon her to save her, he goes through countless trials in his servitude to earn forgiveness, he got tortured by the Furies by having to relive his misfortunes, the Gods didn't keep their promised reward of taking away his nightmares, he's forced to kill his own mother, etc. All of this turns him into a man with unrivaled, ambitious rage, and all the while he has nothing to lose. That's what makes him so compelling IMO. Fate destroyed everything he ever loved, and he struck back with a vengeance, no matter what was at stake (most of the time anyway). He may be a monster, but he's a sympathetic monster given what he went through.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 11:53:48 PM PST
yea thats the part that got me

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 12:16:18 AM PST
Lionheart says:
Been playing videogames for a long, long, time. So let's see. Probably the arcade game Street Fighter Two, which came out a few years before Mortal Kombat. Also played Doom II somewhere around then, I think, but that was more comic-book style violence. Not really shocking to blow up monsters. Street Fighter was just plain ugly, though, bare-knuckled brawling, Vega's slashing, etc. There was also a violent arcade game about the DEA back then, though I don't remember what it was called right now. But you were killing the heck out of a lot of drug dealers, I remember that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 12:17:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 12:17:57 AM PST
Are you thinking about N.A.R.C. perhaps?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 6:24:19 AM PST
pyroguy says:
I've seen alot of walkthrough videos with that scene in there, definitely a "crap-your-pants" moment

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 9:26:55 PM PST
G. Krein says:
Nothing shocked me, I think all the blood, guts, and gore is awesome in a game.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  69
Total posts:  119
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions