Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Getting to know the Playstation Vita

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 73 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2012 6:35:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 7:57:54 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Hi there. I might get a Vita this week. Some other folks are thinking about it too. I don't have a real working knowledge of this thing and I had some questions. They've probably all been answered but I'm making this thread for quick reference anyway.

1. Memory cards - Does *everything* need to save to a proprietary memory card or just game installs and saves? Can I save music, pictures, etc to something else? Not sure if there's even another slot. If I had Plus I guess I could keep saving to the cloud as long as I was connected to WiFi (Not getting 3G model).

2. Camera - can I snap pictures and take short videos? Not looking for professional grade or anything, just taking a picture of my dog if he's being interesting. I assume if you can, there's no flash.

3. Downloading things - I thought I heard it was faster to download Vita stuff to your PS3 and then transfer it over - is that true?

4. Accessories - Is a screen protecter essential? I'm also thinking about a grip thing to snap it into. Some of the bigger ones have extra battery power. I don't plan on taking it out of the house often. Any recommendations would be great.

5. Remote play - anyone have a list of games that currently take advantage of this feature?

EDIT - I've got a Vita now. Sweet deal on the AssLib bundle for $180, Amazon.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:37:32 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:39:02 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
1. Everything on the proprietary memory cards: music, movies, games, saves, dlc, etc.

2. Not sure.

3. I downloaded stuff directly to the Vita with little problems. It didn't seem as long as downloading on the PS3 though.

4. If you can take care of your stuff, then you don't need any protective items. The grips are a waste. I tried out the two cheap ones, and they aren't worth it. I never got around to trying the Nyko one. One has small nubs that make the thing worthless, the other one with the longer, Dualshock styled grips has a hard time holding the system in place and there is noticeable rocking. I reviewed the one with the handles.

5. Never did remote play.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:39:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 6:40:56 AM PST
1. I believe everything saves to the cards

2. You can take pictures and videos but the quality is pretty poopy if you don't have the right lighting

3. I don't see a speed increase between my Vita and PS3. Also, include the transfer time. Some games you need to DL on the PS3 and then transfer to the Vita, but if its available I just download it directly to the Vita.

4. Yes, I REALLY love the Hori screen protector. Much nicer than the Sony one in my opinion. I also had a weird "grainy" look from the Sony one. I reviewed them both, but I think I got a faulty Sony one to start with.

5. Playstation Vita Remote Play Compatibility List

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/general-vita-discussion/146032-playstation-vita-remote-play-compatibility-list.html
Confirmed Working

ALL PS1 CLASSIC TITLES

#'s, A-E
Anarchy: Rush Hour
Bejeweled 2
Bionic Commando: Rearmed
Blazblue: Calamity Trigger

F-J
God of War Collection
GundeadliGne
Gundemonium Recollection
High Stakes Poker on the Vegas Strip
Hitogata Happa

K-O
Lair

P-T
Peggle
PixelJunk Monsters
PixelJunk Shooter
Retro/Grade
Robotics;Notes (JP) -After 1.10 Patch-
Sim City 2000
The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Tokyo Jungle (US) (EU) (JP) [US & JP Remote Play coming soon via patch]

U-Z

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:40:09 AM PST
Everything but system updates.

Yes.

Yes.

It's handy but not essential.

I don't use it so I have no list.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:40:37 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Probably, but whenever I grab a camera he stops doing whatever I was going to take a picture of. The assumption is that at least one or two times I would already have a Vita in my hands.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:42:06 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Vintage VNH Multi-Color Neck Strap for Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax and Sony Cameras (Multi)

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:43:27 AM PST
Stud Lee© says:
Does Tokyo Jungle get better later in the game? I started it, but it seems rather boring. I bought the Sabre toothed cat, but his hunger just won't stop and you have almost no time to do anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:44:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 6:47:15 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Wait - LAIR is on the list!? My mind is now made up.

Thanks for that list - I already have four or five of those.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:53:15 AM PST
prsmooth says:
1. Yes, unless you transfer it to PS3 or PC.

2. Yes, you can take photos (no flash) and videos.

3. Its better in the sense that if your PS3 is wired to your modem or router then that's the best route. Otherwise, just download from PS3 vita. I have done both and for larger downloads (several GB) , I would go the PS3 route if its hard-wired.

4. Yes, a screen protector is important. You don't want it to get scratched. The samething goes with the rear touch pad. If you are concerned with scratches, I personally get a crystal or silicone case to protect the body.

The Sony or Hori screen protectors are good.

I have this crystal case which protects the body and has a removable flap for the rear touch pad: Mad Catz ArmorShell for PlayStation Vita - Clear Gamestop has it as well (that's where I bought mine).

I would also recommend a case. The Pull N Go is a great case since it has two cases in one. It has a small case that can hold 4 games and good padding for your PS Vita.

5. I haven't used Remote Play , so I can't comment on that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:56:43 AM PST
Soulshine says:
So wait - all those 2-packs of screen protectors - one is for the rear touchpad?

I guess I didn't think about that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:00:46 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Thanks Fox - that CTA one was the one I was thinking about so now I'm glad I saw your review.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:03:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 7:05:23 AM PST
prsmooth says:
The Sony and Hori protectors I mentioned only protect the screen.

I don't use a protector for the rear touch pad since I have the MadCatz crystal case which protects the rear touch pad when I am not using it. When I need to use the rear touch pad, I just remove the flap on the back and put it back on afterwards.

I haven't tried protectors for the rear touch pad, but its something you want to consider if you want to put it in your pocket without a bulky case.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:14:43 AM PST
Funny thing about the Camera... it's quality is terrible, however the camcorder quality is actually quite good in comparison... not sure why.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:16:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 7:19:14 AM PST
I'm also thinking about picking up the White one on BF (does anyone know what time I need to be at gamestop, or if its available online?)

QUESTION: How is the vita screen in sunlight? I used to own stock in and OLED company, and I still don't know anything about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:18:57 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I think the $200 AssLib bundle will be everywhere. Rumored to be Friday's deal of the day on amazon and I saw a Sony commercial that said that was the price Friday and Saturday without stating any retailer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:19:22 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Nearly impossible to see in direct sunlight.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:19:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 7:19:51 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Some Gamestops are opening at midnight. My brother's one is, I have to take him to work that night for the midnight opening. So I'm just having him pick mine up. So call yours and find out their hours for that day.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:19:50 AM PST
The vita isn't TOO bad in the sunlight, you can still play it without many issues. Can see your own reflection though, that drives me crazy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:20:28 AM PST
prsmooth says:
I agree with Fox about this. Its hard to see the screen while in direct sunlight.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:22:52 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Games are so dark though that it's really hard to see in sunlight though. I was squinting with the screen 3 inches from my face and I was still having a hard time seeing what was going on.

It's not a system made to be played out doors in light.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:24:52 AM PST
I edited part of my post because I realize I will never be able to see any screen well on the beach. I' was hoping it might be a little better than the 3DS was, visible with just an umbrella would be nice. Probably not, oh well. Doesn't really change my plan to buy one.
Actually: I think I had my macbook working just fine in the sun once.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:26:54 AM PST
Chocolette says:
This is at highest brightness?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:27:56 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Yes, yes, yes, yes, it wouldn't hurt, barely any.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:28:34 AM PST
When you're outside it is very difficult to see the games. It's like looking at a cell phone in daylight, tough to do.

The games look nice and bright when you're not in sunlight though. You could also try a non-reflective screen protector. I think mine is glossy, so I can't play it outside very well.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Destiny Beta: Go Confirm Your Platform/Region! 94 44 seconds ago
its obvious sony is stupid 17 2 minutes ago
FACT: Xbox One has a better Fall/Holiday lineup compared to the ps4! 90 4 minutes ago
OT: Vegas 37 6 minutes ago
Global Top Sellers 28th June 2014 Software 21 7 minutes ago
Opinions: When will the digital library really open up for the PS4? 37 9 minutes ago
How Might PS4 Dominance Change The Industry? 20 10 minutes ago
$0.99 Playstation Flash Sale 46 13 minutes ago
OT: Her bewbs may not be much to write home about, but she gives one great Amazon Monkeybar 9383 30 minutes ago
Who else is watching EVO right now? 38 42 minutes ago
Rogue Legacy coming to PS4, PS3, and Vita July 29th. Cross Buy and Cross save. 8 1 hour ago
Game Trailers: Top Ten Swords 13 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions