Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: $80 for a Simple Income Tax Return file?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 12, 2013 11:49:27 AM PST
Fidel Amaya says:
Should i just file my own taxes? Paid a guy $80 last year and i regret it since most everyone i know said a simple return isnt that hard to file. HR Block maybe?

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 11:52:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2013 12:59:33 PM PST
Well, how complicated are your taxes? Do you have lots of deductions? A professional may be aware of deductions than you would not think of.

That said, I have always filed my own tax returns. If you're looking for a no-cost solution, I think that FreeTaxUSA is a good way to e-file. You just enter your information and it keeps a running total of your refund in the corner. It is also free to use for federal tax returns.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 11:54:34 AM PST
The 1040 EZ form will take you less than thirty minutes; however, if you have school loans, deductions because of school expenses, or anything that COULD be deducted it is a great idea to consult a tax attorney (or H & R Block in your case most likely).

Tough to answer this question to be honest because any advise to do it yourself could be a bad one if you have deductions that would cover that cost.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 11:57:32 AM PST
I use TurboTax and I really like it. In fact, it just emailed me a link to jump right back into setting up 2012's taxes.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 11:58:18 AM PST
Fidel Amaya says:
Im single. No loans or anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 11:59:13 AM PST
Do you go to school?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 12:02:06 PM PST
Fidel Amaya says:
Not at the moment. Didnt attend school in 2012.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 12:04:46 PM PST
Joshua C says:
If you make less than 50k (i believe)as an individual, it's free to file your Federal return through many places online(I usually go to HR Block). It handles your deductions, the submission, everything.

The IRS website has a full list of places that do it, and all you need is information off of your previous year return.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 12:05:10 PM PST
My guess that filing it yourself will probably be the same as paying $80 in that case, but it's hard for anyone to say here without intimate knowledge of your finances and the current tax code.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 12:06:16 PM PST
Fidel Amaya says:
My income was $22,000

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 12:09:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2013 12:10:40 PM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
It's a lot less than that actually. I think it's around $25,000.

Edit: Nevermind, that figure may actually just be my state.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 12:45:44 PM PST
Joshua C says:
Found the links
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File:-Do-Your-Federal-Taxes-for-Free
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File:-Frequently-Asked-Questions

It's open to anyone with an AGI of 57,000 or less, but ONLY for your federal. States vary on this (for instance, I cannot free file my State taxes unless I do them myself.) If your income was 22,000, free file is pretty much the way to go.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 12:50:16 PM PST
RdRunner71 says:
Definitely check out the free online ones. Have been using taxact.com for several years, Fed is free and easy. Probably H&R Block and others have free options as well.

For the state, my state (IL) is free through the Department of Revenue website, probably similar for other states. Would check that out before paying for the state through taxact or wherever.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 1:03:19 PM PST
I file with http://www.taxact.com/ (the site the IRS links to). It's way less than $80 to file. I think I paid $30 last year. This year I'll be paying $22 (not sure if I got a discount for filing last year). They do automatically load your previous year's tax information in if you filed through them last year, so it'll make your next year's faster. It sounds like you have simpler taxes than I do (I have student loans I get to deduct, but that's it), this is a really easy site to use.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 1:36:13 PM PST
I've always used OLT.com because my taxes couldn't of been simpler. But this year I'm thinking about going to H&R because I bought a house last year and the wife was in school. So there's a lot more to it now and I'm not really sure what to do.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 3:35:58 PM PST
You should be able to do them on your own with little problem, given what you've told us. Paying $80 is practically fleecing you since it would be a 5-10 minute job to do one like that, based on my experience from doing taxes when I was in school.

If you're worried about getting it wrong and don't want to use an online tool, you can look into seeing if there is an office for the VITA program in your area, as they do simple returns(federal, state, and local, at least at the branch I worked for) for free and will, usually, take care of filing them for you too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 3:43:14 PM PST
I trust anything named VITA with my money. I'll just lose thousands of dollars.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 3:54:23 PM PST
To be fair, the program has managed to last 40+ years without going belly-up, so it has a better track record than certain other vitas.

It is run by the IRS though, so your money may only be marginally safer.

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 8:46:36 AM PST
Anyone who can't figure out how to do a simple tax return on their own probably shouldn't be working and should be in a group home. Sounds like they're too dangerous to be in society.

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 8:55:18 AM PST
pyroguy says:
I always use the H&R-Block TaxCut program that I get in the mail every year

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 7:25:46 AM PST
Fidel Amaya says:
Ok I dont want a check, i want Direct Deposit. Turbo Tax has an Efile option right?

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 7:35:59 AM PST
If you look on slickdeals there is always a way to get H&R tax programs for free. They use direct deposit and it is really simple even if you have alot of deductions. They also have the option of importing your previous tax information into their system if you keep on using them every year.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 7:38:57 AM PST
klopas says:
I always free e-file through the IRS website.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File:-Do-Your-Federal-Taxes-for-Free

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 7:39:07 AM PST
I use H&R block online to do my taxes. The bulk of what I pay them is to carry over my prior year information & to file my state return. Its easy to use, catches a lot of decuctions, and I can do it right on my lunch break.

The annoying part; at the end it tells you "YOU SAVED $XXX BY USING OUR SERVICE INSTEAD OF A CPA"

I am a CPA :(

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 7:41:40 AM PST
If you're doing a simple tax return, no deductions, and have no student loans, it should take you all of 15 minutes to do yourself and there likely isn't anything a tax pro can do better than you can.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  Jan 12, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions