Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Refreshing change: Expert on MSNBC demolishes link between violence and video games

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 4:31:44 PM PST
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/expert-on-msnbc-demolishes-mythical-link-between-violence-and-video-games-movies/

Clinical psychologist Dr. Stanton Samenow appeared on MSNBC's The Cycle on Tuesday to address the pervasive opinion - expressed frequently in the media and by lawmakers - that violent video games and films are partially responsible for the manifestation of violence in mass murders like Adam Lanza. Samenow flatly dismissed the notion that video games or films are in any way linked to the violent action of disturbed individuals.

asked Samenow about violence in video games and its link to violent episodes by unstable individuals, to which Samenow replied that the mind of a killer is more important to understand than their video game playing habits.

"This casting about for circumstances outside the individual that allegedly propel him to become something that he wasn't just doesn't even make common sense," Samenow replied.

Samenow said that his experience interviewing violent offenders taught him that killers are obsessed with violence, but to say that watching violence made them that ways is a "complete and total stretch."

S.E. Cupp said that when she thinks of a "culture of violence" she thinks of regimes in Sub-Saharan Africa that impress children into military service, rather than Western artists and entertainment producers.

Samenow agreed. "In our society, nobody is forced to become violent," Samenow replied. He said that, while disturbed individuals may be inspired by art, millions of people consume the same art and experience it only as entertainment.

Steve Kornacki asked if Americans just had to live with occasional acts of violence as a cost of living in a free society. "Well, unless you want to start imposing censorship on a pretty wide scale, I would say yes," Samenow replied.

He said that he went to the movies last night and saw six previews, most of which had violence in them. "What are we going to do? Have no more violent movies? Have no more violence in television? I mean, it's not a reasonable thing to even talk about," Samenow concluded.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 4:36:47 PM PST
AJF says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 4:38:09 PM PST
Aku says:
You're mediocre.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 4:41:38 PM PST
Rev. Otter says:
1982 -- Pac Man is the most popular video game in America
2012 -- America leads the world in obesity

wake up sheeple!

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 4:43:47 PM PST
And if you check the link you'll find out MSNBC has a woman named, oh my god, Krystal Ball.

That poor woman. She needs to marry or change her name immediately.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 4:46:23 PM PST
I have the sudden desire to strap a chainsaw to my rifle and chop some people up. DAMN YOU GEARS!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:08:29 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Wrong forum man, wrong forum (I agree with you though, go Nintendo)

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:26:35 PM PST
AndrewA says:
They'll be thanking gamers when the Covenant attack.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:43:17 PM PST
"He said that, while disturbed individuals may be inspired by art, millions of people consume the same art and experience it only as entertainment."

This! A thousand times, this!

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:51:33 PM PST
okierj says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:01:20 PM PST
I think I'll trust the guy with the PHD over you, thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:29:17 PM PST
Bad idea. Trust the people with the research and knowledge to back up what they say.

Plenty of studies about this link are done by people with PhDs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:34:55 PM PST
Of course I understand what you're saying, the Argument from Authority and all that. I was just talking about between okierj and a child psychologist who has a PHD, I'll listen to the guy with the PHD.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:40:37 PM PST
I know. I was just giving you a hard time.

*pulls up couch*

Now how does that make you feel?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:46:17 PM PST
Sad, lonely, violent. :'(

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:43:16 PM PST
Frank says:
Expert, in MSNBC, that really says a lot...

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:54:36 PM PST
I realize the title doesn't carry the prestige of "Expert" on Fox News, but the guy's finally ignoring the hype in favor if a little common sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:20:15 PM PST
AndrewA says:
Fox news actually had geoff keighley on when they did the sex box mass effect thing. Surprisingly he was the only one who had played the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:05:18 AM PST
I remember that. I also remember them completely talking over him and ignoring everything he said, poor guy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:08:20 AM PST
FOGE says:
Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:15:11 AM PST
ChuChu Train says:
Wait a minute... The side affect must come a generation later cuz thats what they did in the 60s and 70s! Zomg its baby boomers fault!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:16:45 AM PST
FOGE says:
Its their fault that we are at the fiscal cliff.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:22:37 AM PST
ChuChu Train says:
fiscal stiff! We went over the cliff a couple years ago. Trimming off a trillion or 5 over 10 years doesn't make sense anyways. What is that 100 billion a year reduction while we spend over a trillion a year like a drunk sailor?

Lemme park my boat under a waterfall and bail out the water with a spoon. Then add 1 spoon a year to remove water while the waterfall continues to grow in size increasing the flow of water.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:36:07 AM PST
Kr155 says:
unfortunatly random mass killings have been going on long before video games. sadly even school shootings.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:38:06 AM PST
And then, after his segment they had a commercial break. When they came back from that, there was a "panel" of people (not including him) going around talking about it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Destiny PS4 VGF Clan 6618 6 seconds ago
Beat Dragon Age: Inquisition today 60 1 minute ago
OT: Week 16 of the NFL Season: Regular season is drawing to a close. Playoffs are shaping up to be interesting. WHO YA GOT! 89 2 minutes ago
OT: NYC's MTA set to tackle a serious public transportation issue - Manspreading 4 3 minutes ago
The Last of Us 2 confirmed? 21 4 minutes ago
Winter Sale haul 42 8 minutes ago
Ps4 now $349 at Walmart sale 8 13 minutes ago
❀ Best VGF Holiday Names of 2014 ❀ 5 14 minutes ago
7 Reasons Why the PS4 Will Dominate in 2015 15 14 minutes ago
Knack is currently on sale for $20(yes, $20 not "19.99") at Best Buy. 2 16 minutes ago
Final Fantasy Type-0 Collectors Edition 12 18 minutes ago
I need a game like skyrim to play... 54 26 minutes ago

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions