Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Digital Downloads on Consoles

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 11:13:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 11:49:48 PM PST
Is PSN the only one that doesnt charge taxes? I cant remember if XBLA/GoD does? Very disappointing that the WiiU does, btw.

Purchased Scribblenauts Unlimited , Rabbids Land - Nintendo Wii U and Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed Bonus Edition - Nintendo Wii U from eShop.

This will only make me less willing to purchase from the eShop along with only 1 console license.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 2:20:30 AM PST
jpot says:
I never had taxes be charged on xbox live or psn.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:05:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 6:14:17 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
MS doesnt charge taxes, it uses funny money. I think that is how they avoid it.

I've had taxes withheld on PSN purchase of my CoD Blops map packs. 7 % state rate.

Thats why i avoid buying anything on PSN. I don't pay taxes on Steam purchases.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:07:55 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 3, 2012 6:08:04 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:12:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 6:15:00 AM PST
Beau H. says:
It depends on the state you live in. From a quick interwebs search it looks like ID, KY, NE, NJ, SD, TN, VT, WA, and WI all have statues that directly assess taxes on digital goods. In addition, it looks like AL, AZ, CO, NM, UT, and WV use their general tax laws to govern digital goods. Also, IN, LA, ME, and TX also subject digital goods to sales tax.

Take a look at this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_of_Digital_Goods

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:14:26 AM PST
I think some items on PSN are taxed unless they're on sale.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:16:31 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Yeah, I get smacked with state taxes on PSN as well. I think that's relatively new as well, like that past year or so.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:29:50 AM PST
I've only had to pay taxes on PSN, never on Wii or XBL. Haven't bought anything from the WiiU though. Of course, I'm perfectly happy with paying taxes since, you know, that's what keeps the country running.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:30:13 AM PST
Junkiiiii says:
"MS doesnt charge taxes, it uses funny money. I think that is how they avoid it."

I don't know how serious you were mayo but just in case, MS does charge tax. They hit you with it when you first purchase the points.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:33:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 6:42:12 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Don't you mean the retailer charges tax?

Hmnn..i've avoided that by buying points from Amazon i guess. I have not bought points directly from XBL, but i hear NY pays taxes on point purchases over LIVE.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 8:53:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 8:53:43 AM PST
I don't get charged sales tax on PSN but I believe on certain purchases on XBL I have. But the WiiU on all three purchases I was charged sales tax. So what gives?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 8:54:45 AM PST
It's the law.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 10:42:17 AM PST
saskamazon says:
PSN has never charged me tax, Nintendo eshop sure does though ...

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 10:48:06 AM PST
The PSN use to charge tax for purchases that were straight from a credit card. If you used a PSN card, it wouldn't charge tax. Now they don't tax either way.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions