Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Dark Souls too hard?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 114 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2012 8:21:14 AM PDT
Frankenzubaz says:
Dark Souls has come down in price enough that I'm thinking of picking it up. But...I kinda suck at games. I had to put Dragon Age on easy. Witcher 2 is giving me the bizness on normal. Should I just save myself the grief?

I hear so many great things about it, though. I'm not totally against a challenge. I beat Skyrim on master. I can handle a steep learning curve, if it gets easier once you know the ins and outs.

What do y'all think?

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:21:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 8:22:19 AM PDT
Mel says:
too easy
of course, I had beat Demon's Souls and already had the mechanics down.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:23:38 AM PDT
Benpachi says:
I didn't think it was too hard, but I lost interest in it shortly after ringing the second bell. I'm sure it got much harder after that, but like Demon's Souls, just pay attention and take your time and you will be fine.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:23:57 AM PDT
It's not too hard...all you need is a little patience. Once you learn the mechanics it is easier.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:24:57 AM PDT
It's mechanically the same as Demon Souls. And a Great game.

The only part of It I did NOT like... was the dark tomb... ooooh how I hated that part.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:25:52 AM PDT
Kin-foot says:
Dark Souls is unforgiving but not hard IMO. You make a mistake, it will cost you, and you will die. If you get to the spot where you did die, you can recollect your souls, making grinding easy.

It will seem difficult at first but as you learn, understand the world, understand the gameplay, it gets easier.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:26:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 8:26:58 AM PDT
new Tron says:
No it's not too hard. Its difficulty is incredibly overrated.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:27:31 AM PDT
Mel says:
haha, I have no desire to play that part again, it took a few tries.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:27:54 AM PDT
Chris... says:
Riding a bike is hard until you learn how to do it. Same concept applies with the Souls games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:28:34 AM PDT
I disliked being without my shield.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:28:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 8:29:48 AM PDT
Mel says:
the thing that makes the game most difficult is really the mechanics, because the devs are a little lame and explain nothing. They do a much better job of explaining a few things in Dark Souls, unlike Demon's Souls.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:30:14 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Dark Souls requires patience and perseverance. Yes, it's difficult, but it's not unfair. Once you get the lay of the land, it's not really so hard. Just be prepared to do the same level over and over until you're familiar enough with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:30:36 AM PDT
Mel says:
I disliked being blind and clueless

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:30:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 8:31:58 AM PDT
Frankenzubaz says:
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and add it to my backlog. I doubt it'll ever get much cheaper than 20 bucks new.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:31:33 AM PDT
Mel says:
Dark Souls felt like a legend of Zelda game to me. Enjoy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:43:30 AM PDT
Frankenzubaz says:
yeah, but now you can empathize with Romney voters. So there's that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:44:08 AM PDT
Mel says:
HA

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:44:58 AM PDT
"yeah, but now you can empathize with 95% of voters. So there's that. "

There, fixed it for ya :3

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:46:07 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
It's not a hard game. It's a challenging game. There is a difference. Hard is difficult to overcome and relies more than a little on luck. Challenging can be overcome by persistence and cleverness as well as some agility and cunning. If you are looking for a challenge in a sea of games that do nothing but hold your hand, and have game-length tutorials, then Dark Souls is a great change of pace. For $20, you can't really go wrong. A lot of people on this board put hundreds of hours into the game, myself included.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:46:15 AM PDT
Nope, not too hard.

Just play cautiously and remember that the wiki/google is your friend in times of need.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:47:48 AM PDT
Mel says:
I put 30hrs in and want to put more hours in on PC, IF I ever get this backlog tamed.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:48:37 AM PDT
I got 60 hours in mine... I should probably og back and finish it. I'm at the final boss, I never even fought him yet. plus there be the DLC

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:51:11 AM PDT
Mel says:
This really added to the enjoyment of the game for me, some complain about it being outdated, but I had no issues
Dark Souls: The Official Guide

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:52:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 8:53:37 AM PDT
I think I have around 85 hours in on the PC version right now.

Will you be getting this on PC Marcus? If so the following patch is a must:

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix

Adds resolution upscale t 1080 and beyond. It also unlocks the framerate to scale to 60 and - even at 30 FPS - has better optimization. No more 15 FPS locks for anything below 30.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:53:22 AM PDT
Love this guide if not only for the item locations.

It's very concise and easy to follow.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What is gamergate, and what is going on with gaming journalism? 14 2 minutes ago
Do You Plan On Buying A Xbox One? Congratulations! You Just Bought The Worlds Most Expensive Doorstop. 15 3 minutes ago
OT: Take a Look Inside Satanists' Kids Activity Book That Might Soon Be Handed Out to Public School Students 79 6 minutes ago
PSN: Flash Sale, Racing games (MotorStorm Apocalypse, NFS Most Wanted, $5, Sonic All Stars $10 and more) 17 7 minutes ago
PS4 vs. Xbox One -- An unbiased look at which games are currently available on each console 449 7 minutes ago
Consoles are dying confirmed 270 9 minutes ago
Forza Horizon 2 demo 42 11 minutes ago
sunset overdrive is silly, stylish, and incredibly smart 62 14 minutes ago
OT: In a forum where the trolls roam freely and the console war rages, there is one last bastion of hope. Where the righteous make their final stand. They call it "the OT." 2453 21 minutes ago
D4 (Xbox One) Getting Great Reviews 53 28 minutes ago
Weekly Sales Chart 13th September - Destiny PS4 1M+ USA 98 30 minutes ago
Weekend Gaming 9/19 - 9/21 73 1 hour ago

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  114
Initial post:  Nov 2, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions