Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

You got social issues in my game: Square to consider player feedback on same-sex marriage for Final Fantasy XIV

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 7:53:11 PM PST
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/20/square-to-consider-player-feedback-on-same-sex-marriage-for-fina/

Square to consider player feedback on same-sex marriage for Final Fantasy XIV

by Jef Reahard on Nov 20th 2012 11:00AM

Square to consider player feedback on samesex marriage for Final Fantasy XIV
Among the many additions coming to Final Fantasy XIV's A Realm Reborn reboot is the ability for player avatars to tie the knot. The option isn't being extended to same-sex avatars, though, at least initially.

Square Enix's official position on the matter was gleaned from a recent two-hour producer video which we've embedded after the break. "As for same-sex marriage, this is an extremely controversial topic that has been under discussion in the MMO world for the past few years," the firm says. "First we would like to start out with opposite-sex marriage, and then consider the feedback from our players in order to make a careful decision. I can't say whether or not it will be possible at this point in time. I'd like to keep dialog open with our players as we deliberate the matter.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:04:33 PM PST
Oh, just put it in there. I don't remember the original Fable or The Sims having any trouble with this.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:34:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 8:36:51 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
I'm OK with girl on girl.

Kidding. Of course it should be in there for everyone. Why not? Japanese I think are a little more conservative than the US on gay rights and whatnot though.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:43:08 PM PST
They should just stick it in the game without wasting time worrying about it. I doubt many people are going to decide whether they want to play Final Fantasy XIV or not based on this. They need to concentrate more on making the game good because they certainly need more subscribers.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:45:10 PM PST
Of course I'm OK with same sex marriage!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 9:12:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 9:13:00 PM PST
DVvM says:
If you're going to have marriage in your MMO, let anything marry anything.

I mean, is same sex marriage weirder than interspecies marriage (something that you could easily have in a fantasy MMO)?

So if a man marries a man, a woman marries an elf, or a bugbear marries a mushroom... it's all good.

Or you could just not have marriage at all, that's also fine.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 9:14:34 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
If Skyrim does it (and was massively successful), then there should be no problem doing it in a Final Fantasy game.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 9:19:41 PM PST
I'm amazed in this day and age we're still discussing the subject of gay marriage as if there are any grounds to deny it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 9:38:44 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, Final Fantasy XIV is potentially much more interesting to Japanese people than Westerners, and Japan seems to be much less socially progressive than the West, so it's conceivable that it's mostly just controversial among Japanese MMO enthusiasts.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 9:54:16 PM PST
KrisCo says:
It would be super hypocritical of me if I said no. Couldn't diss my parents like that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:01:19 PM PST
I'm not sure how the servers are setup on the game but I'm guessing US players are on US servers, Japanese gamers are on Japanese servers, and so on. If they deem that their region isn't that interested then why not allow it on US servers only?

I mean it isn't like Square just crapped out Final Fantasy XIV and had to basically rebuild the whole thing while begging fans not to abandon them right? I doubt something like allowing gay marriage in their game is going to do any more harm than Square has already done to their own title.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 10:04:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 10:06:48 PM PST
I think game developers should do whatever they decide to do, not what people want them to do. Thats like saying if a music artist decides to make a cd without drums, then people would try to force the artist to make drums be played in the cd. Yes we are all used to having drums and having drums sounds like a smart way to go but... What the artist wants is what the artist wants, video gaming is still an art.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:06:30 PM PST
" a bugbear marries a mushroom."

What I do in my MMOs is MY business!

Oh....

Never mind. Carry on...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:11:33 PM PST
You're not even close on that comparison... There's nothing artistic about a decision to not have gay marriage in a game like this...

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 10:32:45 PM PST
How so? Is a game not art? if not...tell me why its not? If you created something....a book, movie, game, song, clothes or whatever would you have forgotten something? We have all scene glitches in a game where a character gets stuck or or where the item somehow vanishes and we may have read a book with a typo or bought clothes with a tear but this is not the situation.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 10:35:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 10:37:24 PM PST
I wear a size 12 in womens, its hard to find a shoe in my size for women and it dont matter if its high heel or flats, certain makers dont make size 12 shoes in womens, they stop at 10. Do I think they forgot about size 12 women...no. The brand is not for me, they didnt intend it for me and I have to find another brand somewhere else to find what I need. They know good and well that I exist but they dont make it for me so I have to search harder.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 9:24:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 9:24:21 AM PST
"they didnt intend it for me"

does that make you feel left out and lonely?

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 9:25:52 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Bitter and I can finally get married!

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 9:35:19 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
I hope game devs aren't feeling like they are being strongarmed into putting things in their games which they didn't originally intend. If they want to create a fictional land and setting where gay marriages don't exist, they shouldn't feel any more pressure than if they decided to make the main character a gay person. Its up to the devs what gets put in the game and then you can vote with your dollars.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 9:42:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 9:45:04 AM PST
I think relations should only be between a man and a woman And another woman...

The Ff series has been very accommodating to the love triangle, they should stick with what they know...

But in all seriousness I don't mind, homosexuality is fine...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 9:46:37 AM PST
They didn't... but oooh Skyrim did.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 9:50:02 AM PST
It's Final Fantasy. Lately I can't even tell the difference between the men and the women.

Seriously, though, this is a series where a kiss is the farthest most relationships get (with the notable exception of Wakka and Lulu in X-2). I'm totally in favor of same-sex marriage, but it seems like they may just be going for ratings. If Persona did something about it, that would be more in line with the themes of the series.

@DVvM: Google "yaoi." Just not at work, lol.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 12:52:19 PM PST
jSten says:
But can we marry an in-game body pillow yet?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 1:03:12 PM PST
You're comparing the idea of a musician doing an entire album without drums to a minor system in an MMO and you're wondering how these aren't the same? There's no artistic choice in not allowing gay marriage in Final Fantasy XIV unless the game is built around marriage and relationships. No one is buying Final Fantasy XIV because of the marriage system or anything like that however people would be buying the album your described because of that musician's choice to not use drums.

You're comparing apples to drywall here.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 1:19:18 PM PST
Hopefully they add same sex marriage in the game!

So uh, is anyone's avatar looking?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions