Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

So, I beat Spec Ops The Line. Spoilers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 70 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 12, 2013 4:47:42 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Hmm. I didn't get that emotional impact that I heard about. Actually I thought most of the game was confusing and hard to understand until those Twitter-like sentences popped up during loading screens and explained what was going on. I had no emotional attachment to Walker, or the choices that were out in front of me. I guess that Lugo was a caricature of how the player was supposed to feel, but I never got there.

Ok shooter, pretty short as I beat it from Chapter 2 last night in one sitting.

I did like that I could just reload chapters and do something different than I did before and get the trophies without playing the whole game again.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 4:52:30 AM PST
You're a monster!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 5:19:23 AM PST
The only part that I really felt "emotionally attached" about was when I killed all those innocent citizens with white phosphorous. I actually felt bad about that. For me it was just a good story, pretty engrossing overall. I also loved the way the music was incorporated.

At the end I chose to shoot myself in the head.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 6:49:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2013 6:50:55 AM PST
One of the best games iv ever played.
Gameplay was outstanding, shooting mechanics was amazing, graphics were great, music was the best iv heard in a game, and the story was fascinating.
If you didn't think the story was emotional you sir have no soul.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 8:43:17 AM PST
I'm in total agreement with you here! I was so looking forward to this game that when it was all over I was like, that was it? I was expecting this great emotional roller coaster and didn't feel it at all. I'm glad I'm not the only one without a soul!

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 9:31:19 AM PST
I think everyone here know my stance on games like this, but on the recommendation of numerous reviewers and VGFers, I am giving this game a try.

So far I am unimpressed.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 9:35:56 AM PST
Like some here have noted none of the characters really endear themselves but the way they did the ending was extremely F@!# up! Part of me understood but another part was "I went through all that just for this!!!???"

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 9:36:32 AM PST
I guess it's a lot more subtle than people are letting on. I admit myself initially I couldn't understand all the hubbub about the story until I restarted the game a few times and then took note of the loading screen sub-titles and also how the hallucinations played into the game. It's definitely a modern-day heart of darkness vibe style game and it does it very well, and it's a solid shooter too! I'd say the sad thing is the replay value kinda goes downhill though given that you know what's going on after the first jaunt.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 12:44:18 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 12:54:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2013 12:58:25 PM PST
"Like some here have noted none of the characters really endear themselves"

Some stories do not require characters that endear themselves. We get used to having relatable characters in video games because we control them directly. When there is a disconnect between the character and the player it can sometimes be confusing (even though in movies and books we don't feel that way).

In Spec Ops particularly, your role is that of a gamer playing a military shooter. You're playing yourself. It's similar to Assassin's Creed where you play Desmond playing Ezio. The message the game conveys use Walker as a proxy (and later "Konrad").

In short, too late, your negative reactions to Walker are intentional. The game is criticizing you for enabling Walker's madness. In this respect it is absolutely groundbreaking, because books, movies, and music are passive media and don't require the observer to make the action happen. Whether you like the game or not, it's a big step in the evolution of gameplay narrative.

@Nate: I don't know this is intentional or not, but a lot of players also think that the "video-gamey" mechanics and unrealistic situations were intentional as well. I can't tell for sure, they could just suck at making convincing military games, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 12:57:13 PM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
Are you upset over the fact that you don't stop periodically to eat, drink, and take a dump as well?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 1:18:58 PM PST
FOGE says:
You know it's a video game right ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 1:21:15 PM PST
FOGE says:
Great post! That was exactly what I got out of the game as well. I found the emotion came from the setting and events more than the characters in respond to what some say about them not being "endearing."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 1:23:18 PM PST
"You are a good person..."

That quote, coupled with the loading screen background of Walker and the other AI-teammate looking all bloody battered and bruised on the sand dune surrounded by wreckage was particularly jarring I have to say.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 1:40:07 PM PST
I don't want to spoil it, but I was a little jarred by the fate of Konrad. I came into the game knowing the premise (I wish I hadn't because it blew a few of their surprises) but I thought that I'd be facing a real nemesis in Konrad, like he'd be the Andrew Ryan of the game.

Great game. Couldn't have been anything else but a game, makes me proud to be a gamer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 2:14:35 PM PST
No, because those would be boring parts. But when games try to be realistic or authentic and they get things so badly wrong, I can't help but notice. I'm the same way with movies that try to depict nilitary stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 2:16:52 PM PST
See mu above post. I also notice when my AI teammates cross into my line of fire.

This is basic stuff here.

That said, I absolutely loved the opening monologue.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 3:06:24 PM PST
You know, one detail that I liked was during the part where you're dropping Willy P rounds with the mortar, you can see your reflection in the monitor you're using.

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 10:10:05 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I never exactly felt emotional, but I still thought the story was pretty incredible and absolutely engrossing.

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 12:23:25 PM PST
Just got to the part where the loading screens are starting to change.

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 6:35:05 PM PST
Well then.

I fail to see what all the hype was about.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 6:58:08 PM PST
I think a lot of people were really happy that someone did a first person shooter that exists largely to condemn the genre of first person shooters and the reasons people play them.

It's very rare you get a game that self aware in any genre, let alone the single most popular current genre.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 7:29:00 PM PST
Its such a boss game, glad I got it for $15 black friday. I beat the game in 1 sitting, even after seeing the ending on youtube prior to playing the game the story & characters were so interesting that it kept my attention up until the ending[which still has me scratching my head in alot of ways]. Really good game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 4:47:16 AM PST
The game tries to make the player feel guilty for things that the game requires them to do to complete it, and then says stuff in loading screens like, "This is okay, it's entertainment."

Well yes, it is.

Some of the loading screens made me chuckle. Some of them tried to get a response and failed miserably. "You are still a good person." "This is all your fault."

I do not believe that being self-aware is a reason to not criticize what I believe are huge failures of what this game tried to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 4:56:36 AM PST
I don't think you were required to kill the mob of people that strung up your partner...but I did anyway without hesitation. Kinda felt like it wasn't worth it, but after rushing to get there only to be just a little too late I felt justified in laying those suckers down.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  70
Initial post:  Jan 12, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions