Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Anyone else have crazy/deadbeat/stupid in-laws??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2012 8:50:16 AM PST
if you do, how do you deal with them?

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:51:45 AM PST
Well, not in-laws, but actually blood relatives. But even if they were in-laws, I deal with them like I deal with everyone I don't like: I avoid them.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:52:46 AM PST
My mother is super crazy, I avoid her at almost all costs.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:53:09 AM PST
Kendahl says:
I had a crazy mother in law. I blame her about 90 percent for the break up of my marriage...

So I guess my answer with how to deal with them (divorce) doesn't really help you. Sorry...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:53:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 8:57:11 AM PST
yea that's what i'm trying, its been a pain b/c my wife insists that she's "big on family" so she keeps in contact with them....and when she talks to them that's when all the horrible stories come out

a father in law with a redbull addiction, doesn't take care any family/home business,quit a high paying fed job and got scammed online last year
a 23 yr old brother in law who believes he's gonna be a college professor but never leaves his room
mother in law is just crazy/stupid...that lady has no common sense whatsoever

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:56:46 AM PST
As long as you aren't dragged into the drama, you'll just have to deal with it. Otherwise, tell them you would rather not be involved as nicely as you can and avoid them whenever possible.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:00:07 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Yes.

One day at a time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:01:48 AM PST
Meth Panther says:
Keep your head down and your mouth shut at family gatherings. And keep alcohol nearby.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 9:05:40 AM PST
JO MOMMA says:
If i knew my In-Law's, i would have never married my wife. But at the time, they were not talking so it dodnt bother me. No i have to pretend that i care and see them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:10:18 AM PST
Frankenzubaz says:
The trick to dealing with crazy kin/kith is to double down on the crazy. Then they won't bother you, ever again.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 9:11:17 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 19, 2012 9:13:04 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 9:15:44 AM PST
Luckily my father-in-law is a gamer and my mother-in-law and I get along very well.

So it works out. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:33:10 AM PST
JWK says:
Both in-laws? No. My mother-in-law? Yes. I don't even have to try to avoid her. My wife's been trying to avoid her for 10 years.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 10:03:42 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
We allowed my in-laws to move in with us in our attempt to give my teenage sisters-in-law a better chance at having a successful future, and while we do seem to be making progress with the girls, my wife's mother and stepfather are turrible, just turrible. My mother-in-law has some sort of crippling anxiety/depression, and claims to have panic attacks whenever she goes outside to do anything productive. As a result, she sits inside on facebook all day and reposts dumb pictures, half of which talk about not putting up with people that drag you down or how much mondays suck, despite being a complete mooch and not having been employed for years. Of course, everything that's wrong with her life is someone else's fault. The way she tells it, you would think we kidnapped her and are now holding her hostage as we torture her daughters by making them feel stupid. The reality being that they were about to be evicted from their animal-waste covered house that was crumbling down around them, her own sister (my aunt-in-law) refused to take them in, and the girls are having a difficult time because their old school never actually taught them anything, despite me helping them every night with their homework.

My father-in-law at least has managed to get a job and works hard at it, but still acts like a child whenever it comes to doing chores or simply cleaning up after himself. We also know we can't trust him at all after he was caught rifling through his daughter's wallet. He and his wife smoke like a chimney, and have actually taken money from their daughter's allowance (that we give them for doing their chores) to buy cigarettes before he got his job. Despite his many faults, though, he still attempts to be a good parent to the girls (read: he will actually do things and spend time with them rather than treat them like a nuisance), who he isn't even the biological father of.

The girls themselves can be frustrating, but we at least know that their issues stem from them being a product of their environment and they are young enough to be able to change if we can get some discipline and practical knowledge into them before it's too late.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 10:08:34 AM PST
Stud Lee© says:
My wife tells me that I don't have to deal with her parents because they're crazy, so it's all good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 10:43:20 AM PST
That's a sad story, Emu. :-/

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:13:51 AM PST
Xavier 7 says:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU......

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:15:57 AM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
More power to ya on helping out with that situation man. Good luck to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:17:13 AM PST
And yet you're not even half as Emu as some of the renobs we have around here. My hat is off to you sir. And by "hat" I mean "pants".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:22:31 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Thanks. Every day is a reminder of how lucky I was with the family I was born into.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 11:38:05 AM PST
My mother in law, grandmother in law, and grandfather in law are all bat crap crazy. My wife was raised by her grandparents so I get to interact with all of these people unfortunately. EXAMPLE
Mother-in-law has two sons under the age of 18. One is mentally handicapped (severely). For christmas she buys him one of those electric Amish fireplaces (don't know if you guys know what i'm talking about but they are pretty common around here) and a stuffed ground hog because that is what he wanted. Yes strange gifts for a 16 year old boy but not so strange when you factor in he is mentally handicapped. To make sure his 15 year old brother (who is perfectly normal) doesn't get jealous, she also buys him an electric Amish fireplace and a stuffed groundhog as his christmas presents (among other things).

Grandmother-in-law: Constantly complains about not having enough money to do what she wants to do and constantly complains that her car payment is too much. She decides last month to go buy a new car....with a LARGER car payment...and not but just a little...by 250 a friggin month more.

Grandfather-in-law: Puts up with the rest of his family. Bat crap crazy

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 11:39:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 11:49:06 AM PST
Gomb says:
Haha wow you guys have some loser families! Do your wife's leech inlaws even contribute rent? If not I would put the kaibosh on that real fast.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 11:49:18 AM PST
Well luckily my wife's parents are awesome but the same cannot be said for all members of her family. We got a couple right wing fundamentalists religious types and even a convicted pedophile. Actually there are a lot of wonderful in-laws in her familiy but about 3 or 4 people that I wouldn't mind getting trapped in a burning building.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:52:41 AM PST
I love my wife's parents, I like her mom better than my folks that's for sure. But for the most part her family are kind of fundie bigots/southerners.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 11:54:53 AM PST
crazy thing is my wife is seriously embarrassed by them....she begs me not to tell my family about what they do......my wife's older brother is very successful (6 figure job,his own business) but the younger brother is 23 and believes EVERYTHING he reads on yahoo news and other weird websites and refuses to get a job or go to school....or get a girlfriend, but for the past week he's been 'practicing' for black friday by sitting outside in a lawnchair in the cold
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions