Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Pick my next RPG!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 53 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2012 4:47:43 PM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Hello guys, token girls and guys pretending to be girls. I feel like playing an RPG after I'm done with Assassin's Creed 3. So help me pick next one! Some of these I already have progess in, and I've noted which ones. Basically I just went through my How Long to Beat backlog and made some notes.

3D Dot Game Heroes - Can't remember where I was. Given how this game is, I may have to start over.

Blue Dragon - I believe I stopped on disc 2.

Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice - Not too far into the game.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga

Dragon Age II

Eternal Sonata - I believe I was near the end of the game.

Fable III

Hyperdimension Neptunia

Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2

Infinite Undiscovery - Can't remember where I left off.

Lost Odyssey - Right near the end. I was grinding for to learn all the skills and some other achievements before finishing.

MagnaCarta II

Nier

Resonance of Fate - Can't remember where I left off.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - Tried it on the 360, but that was a rental. Didn't get very far and I would have to start over since this is for the PS3.

Tales of Graces F

Tales of Vesperia

The Last Remnant - Can't remember where I left off.

Trinity Universe

Valkyria Chronicles - Can't remember where I left off.

White Knight Chronicles - Beat the main game, trying to plat it. I'm being stubborn with this one because it is so hard to plat.

White Knight Chronicles II

Xenoblade Chronicles - Stopped at Sword Valley

Yakuza 2/3/4 - I think I'm about 75-80% done with Yakuza 2. I combined these since I'm not playing 3 until I beat 2.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 4:49:43 PM PST
Technosapien says:
Xenoblade

Yakuza games are not RPGs

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 4:52:29 PM PST
Big fan of Disgaea 3. That would be my choice, but, the problem is that you could get so addicted to the game, like I did, and forget about the other games.

Might finish Blue Dragon if it was up to me and then move on.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 4:53:40 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
TOVesperia. LO is a bit too slow for me, I'm still somewhere on the 1st disc.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 4:53:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 4:54:42 PM PST
new Tron says:
Finish Xenoblade. Then play Fable III. Then Divinity II after that.

Nier is awesome too. Very narrative driven.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 4:54:37 PM PST
Anything but Magna Carta 2. What a piece of garbage that game is. I think I put about 20 hours into it before I just couldn't deal with how incredibly boring it is.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 4:54:39 PM PST
I abstain from voting. Or can I do a write-in nominee?

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 4:56:02 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
Finish Yakuza 2. You're almost there anyway. Outside of that, your backlog looks a lot like mine, so I dont really have any good advice, lol.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 4:56:11 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Xenoblade, Tales of Vesperia, or Divinity 2.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 4:59:06 PM PST
Any time I put down a game midway through, I can't just jump back in where I left off. I have to start from the beginning. I sort of envy people who can pick up games after a period of time has passed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 5:02:52 PM PST
Technosapien says:
I do the same thing. The longest I can take a break from a game is maybe a couple weeks. Any longer and I have to start over.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 5:05:36 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
NIER, NIER NIER NIER NIER!!!!!

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 5:10:42 PM PST
Horowitz says:
Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga, Nier

One of those. I'd add in Lost Odyssey and some others, however you already played those a good deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 5:17:20 PM PST
Dragon Age 2. Ignore the backlash, it's a fine game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 5:20:33 PM PST
Cue 5-paragraph essay from DV...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 5:21:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 5:27:46 PM PST
Yeah, I remember DV loves Dragon Age 2. Personally, I think the people who bash it are completely off the wall.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 5:23:37 PM PST
Paper Tiger says:
Tales of Vesperia

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 5:35:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 5:35:17 PM PST
If I may quote one of the better reviews of DA2 ( http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/138283-dragon-age-ii-making-the-case-for-quality-games/ )

It isn't particularly often that I feel a game should be forgiven for its monstrous shortcomings, but if one did, it would be this one. For that reason I am going to ask that you take any criticism here with a grain of salt, as this really is one of the most awe inspiring play experiences that I've had in some time-but not at all for the conventional list of reasons.

This is not a game about clever battle mechanics, classical riddles, or exceptionally original environments. The music is so-so, and the graphics push no particular envelopes. For any conventional player concerned with aesthetics and innovation, these are valid complaints about the game, and that is even before taking issue with the story's dubiously implemented (if subtly brilliant) plot structure. In short, I find it hard to fault any player-even a fellow reviewer-for openly and honestly disliking the game. It's just frankly not all that good under the parameters that we are used to using in evaluating games.

The problem is that those parameters are not the right ones for talking about Dragon Age II.

ENDQUOTE

That more or less sums it up. By the standards with which we evaluate other video games, Dragon Age 2 isn't so hot, but it is nonetheless a great game. The people who bash it are mostly just looking at it wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 5:46:29 PM PST
I think some people were just disappointed by the decisions made in DA2 as compared to DA:O.

@ McAwesomeo

I'd recommend going back to some of those you were nearly done with (like LO) and finishing them up before moving on to something new. Finishing stuff just feels good, and it seems like you're pretty close to done with several of those on your list. Good luck! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 5:50:32 PM PST
My choices would be Div 2, ToV, or Valkyria Chronicles. Xenonblade was hugely overrated, especially by people on this forum. Still very good, just not nearly as good as some make it sound. I'd also have Disgaea 4 and ToGf on my list, but I don't have either yet...and thus haven't played them yet...to recommend.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:24:11 PM PST
Horowitz says:
I thought I agreed with you on pretty much everything. :P

Don't ignore the backlash!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:30:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 6:30:53 PM PST
Sorry man, this is where we have to disagree. I thought you didn't like Far Cry 2, while I thought it was a fine game. Had a ton of problems, but it tried a lot of new things.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:52:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 6:53:29 PM PST
Horowitz says:
I wanted to love FC2's ambition and open world, but so many poor design choices held me back from caring to ever play it again.

I may be a little hard on DA2, as it's not a broken game or anything, but it felt like they phoned it in with such a lazily crafted game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:03:36 PM PST
Not as good as DA:O. Not nearly as bad as fan reviews made it seem.

One thing it has over DA:O, for example, is an AWESOME final fight!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:08:39 PM PST
I personally enjoyed it because it had a quality Bioware story, and the game play itself was different, but enjoyable. Not my personal favorite game of the generation or anything like that, but a great game regardless.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  53
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions