Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: 70 year old man marries 15 year old girl he bought for $20k; complains he was ripped off when her family takes her back

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2013 1:16:09 PM PST
Eww...

http://www.examiner.com/article/man-70-marries-15-year-old-girl-then-complains-to-officials-when-she-leaves

A man, 70, married a 15-year-old in Saudi Arabia, but then complained to local officials that the family had ripped him off in the deal they made. CNN reported the details Jan. 8 of the situation that has caught the attention of human rights workers and many worried about the continuing issues around the world with child marriage. The man refused to give his name to CNN, but said that the girl's family had sold her to him for an amount of about $20,000.

According to CNN, the man complained to a local official after he says the girl's family took her back. The man, 70, married the 15-year-old girl who is said to be from the Al-Hurath village in the Jizan province of Saudi Arabia. The human rights workers told CNN that they don't believe the man's account in its entirety. They believe the man and the teen had a fight, and she went back to her family on her own. They are reaching out to her in hopes they can offer help to her. Despite the enormous age difference and accusations that the girl was sold to the man, she will have to go to court to formally dispute the marriage.

At this time there is no minimum age requirement for marriage in Saudi Arabia, though there are groups that have tried to push through and advocate that something be set. Conservative religious scholars in the area have opposed this. This report has definitely upset many on Twitter, who find it abominable that all of the adults involved in this situation let this happen to the young girl. Though there are no names publicly released, people hope that human rights workers are able to connect with the young girl and help her resolve these issues. Many are shocked that it is possible for a 70-year-old man to marry a 15-year-old girl when it seems it is not what she wants.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 1:51:13 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
The age difference between this marriage is definitely a big one but I wouldn't really say that's a bad thing since the adult age is lower in other countries. It's definitely terrible that selling a daughter into an arranged marriage would still be legal in other countries.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 1:53:50 PM PST
Soulshine says:
If we were able to list all of the human rights violations in that kingdom this particular story would hardly be a blip on the radar.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 1:57:03 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
On a street corner of Saudi Arabia:

Street Vendor: "Brides! Get your nice, affectionate brides here! Wrapped for freshness. Brides."

70 year old man: "Oh, I can't believe that family ripped me off like that! I want my 20k back!"

Man's son: "It's ok father, we will get the money back."

*street vendor moves closer to old man*

Street Vendor: "Acid! Get your Acid here! Boiling hot acid, here! If you can't have her, no one can! Acid!"

Old man: "I'll take a gallon!"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 2:40:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 2:42:01 PM PST
ice grizzly says:
ok... in NY Lawrence Taylor was caught with a 15 year old girl. He paid money to have Sex with her.

If you walk around Oakland, Chicago... there are lot of girls willing to be a bride (either one day or for a weekend... or even longer than that) for money !!

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 2:45:33 PM PST
Older headlines from abroad:
Garut District Head to Report Teenage Ex-Wife to Police
Yuli Krisna & Rezza Estily | December 04, 2012

Bandung. The controversial head of the West Java district of Garut, Aceng Fikri, is planning to report his teenage second wife, whom he divorced after just four days of marriage, back to police on extortion and defamation allegations.

"We'll file the report on Wednesday on the basis that [Fani] has committed an unpleasant deed, and that there are elements of extortion, deception and defamation here,"

Aceng in July married Fani, who said she had agreed to become his second wife after he promised to pay for her to go to college and take her on an umroh (minor Islamic pilgrimage) to Mecca.

However, four days after the wedding, Aceng divorced her via text message. He told the media that Fani was not a virgin and that he had spent Rp 250 million ($26,000) for the wedding.

"Even sleeping with an artist doesn't cost that much," he recently told Majalah Detik. "After I bought her, I found out that she was `not as advertised,' so I returned her."

The statement has enraged the public, and even caught the attention of President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, who told Ahmad he was following the case.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 3:56:57 PM PST
Frank says:
Well Mohammed himself had a child bride. It's a culture thing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions