Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Roll 1d10 for damage! Crimson Shroud review roundup (3DS eShop)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 78 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 12, 2012 7:28:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 2:51:25 PM PST
Edit: This thread has morphed into a discussion on tabletop RPGs so come on in, have some pie and regale us with tales of your deeds with 20-sided dice. Oh, and still feel free to talk about Crimson Shroud if you played it.
------------------------------------------------
Nintendo Life- 90

"As an RPG that digs into the table-top history of the genre, Crimson Shroud is both a great deal of fun and an artistic triumph. "

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/eshop/crimson_shroud_eshop

--------------------------------------------

NintendoWorldReport- 85

Thankfully, despite having systems upon systems upon systems, the game really isn't as complex as the string of tutorials at the beginning would have you believe. I was overwhelmed at first but, after some practice and going over the in-game tips, the battles become second nature.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/32763

----------------------------------

Machinima- 85

The Crimson Shroud is a game that's completely comfortable to be exactly what it is: an extremely hard, dense celebration of what makes tabletop RPGs so fun. There are gameplay issues that will aggravate some, but any gamer who's spent a Friday night rolling dice will be more than willing to forgive them.

http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/2012/12/10/crimson-shroud-review/

----------------------------------

GamesRadar- 40

Crimson Shroud is clearly Matsuno's labor of love, but it's a shame so many of its features failed in execution and proved more annoying in practice.

http://www.gamesradar.com/crimson-shroud-review/

-------------------------------------------------

1Up- B

I love the idea behind Crimson Shroud, and I love its trappings. But -- perhaps in a first for a Matsuno-helmed project! -- it could really benefit from being a lengthier game. Five hours and four floors of a dungeon just doesn't give all the ideas on offer here sufficient room to breathe. Even so, any RPG fan should consider checking it out if only to enjoy the chance to see the genre's roots explored in such a fascinatingly literal form.

http://www.1up.com/reviews/love-hate-crimson-shroud-takes
---------------------------------------

Joystiq- 60

I think it's fair to say that it's an acquired taste. Most people will know whether or not like they like it from the first moment that they get a good look at the art, which is extremely rough. Crimson Shroud really isn't interested in fancy pyrotechnics or other frills. Its storytelling, combat, and exploration are about as raw as it gets.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/crimson-shroud-review/

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:35:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 7:36:12 PM PST
Glad to see the (mostly) positive reviews. I've been looking forward to this one! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:37:12 PM PST
Hey, on a side note...have you seen the final issue of NP yet? You MUST see the Nester comic at the end.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:44:20 PM PST
I've been so overwhelmed with work that I don't even know if my last copy of NP has arrived yet. :( I'll get my life back next week, and then I'll definitely check it out. *sobbing*

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:45:37 PM PST
Oh, you'll sob more when you get around to reading it. One cool thing about this issue is that it comes with a poster showing every single cover of NP including the strategy guides. I'm going to frame mine.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:48:27 PM PST
Pretty solid reviews overall. After reading NintendoLife's review, I'm really interested in playing this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:50:36 PM PST
Should be out tomorrow.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:52:21 PM PST
Siliconera has a playtest up, too, and they seem to be pretty positive about it (though they don't give scores).

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 6:31:15 AM PST
I like the idea of a tabletop experience like this, is this game more Japanese than Western?

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 6:32:03 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Where's the Nintendo Power review?

too soon?

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 6:32:39 AM PST
I thought my wife got me a 3DS for Christmas, but I'm almost 80% sure now that isn't the case.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 6:33:28 AM PST
I'll let you know.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 6:51:27 AM PST
I'll take a 2d4 dagger over a 1d10 short sword any day, better average damage.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 6:54:30 AM PST
Iso says:
What is this?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 7:13:06 AM PST
Short swords don't do 1d10 damage. I think two-handed swords do that. I am a couple of editions behind on D&D so I could be wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 7:15:59 AM PST
Greatsword

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 7:17:32 AM PST
I haven't played in years (possibly decades! gods I'm old) so it wouldn't surprise me if you're right.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 7:45:03 AM PST
Nerd.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 7:53:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 7:54:23 AM PST
Coffee says:
What sort dagger does 2d4 damage, and shortsword does 1d10??! Talk about power-creep...

*edit* annnnd now I see your other post...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 8:04:43 AM PST
Chocolette says:
I went to the Nintendo Store in NYC recently and they have a section with all their old consoles/handhelds and what looks like a copy of each Nintendo Power. It's a gaming museum!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 8:23:09 AM PST
I once had a kender with a +3 dagger. Overall he did more damage than the fighter in our party with a longsword. Then the dagger was lost when my mender became one of the undead.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 9:43:46 AM PST
2d4 has an average damage of 5. 1d10 has an average damage of 5.5.

@Jason.
In 3 and 3.5, daggers do 1d4, and shortswords 1d6. The only sword that does 1d10 is a bastard sword (and maybe a katana? I think those are mechanically identical to bastard swords).

And there aren't any swords/daggers that do 2d4. Dunno about 4e.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 9:44:16 AM PST
Greatswords are 2d6.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 9:49:12 AM PST
Gah, really? I guess memory really is the first thing to go.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 10:01:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 10:02:06 AM PST
Small greatswords do 1d10, and I don't know what it was in previous versions. You could still be right.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  78
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions