Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

I have mixed feelings about Journey.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 84 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2012 6:25:27 PM PST
I thought Journey was a game.

After beating it in less than 2 hours I realized that there's no gameplay involved whatsoever. The only thing you do is push forward on the left stick.

Don't get me wrong, it is an interesting/different experience, but definetely not a game. More like "interactive art".

It seems to me that Journey is a reflexion of the meaning of life; explained withouth words. I don't know what to think about it. I played because people said it was easily GOTY material, but honestly I would have regreted paying $15 for this. Thanks, Gamefly.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:26:54 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
If all you did was push forward you did it wrong.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:28:33 PM PST
So in the almost 9 months that the game has been out you didn't read or hear anything about the game?

In the words of Keyshawn Johnson: Come on man.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:34:29 PM PST
John McClane says:
But it makes Sonymites ginies tingle.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:34:31 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Welcome to the gaming industry! You should also check The Walking Dead for almost no gameplay :D

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:36:19 PM PST
Voice of god says:
I really want someone to give an awesome line read of that on MNF.

COME!... On man.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:58:18 PM PST
Ed Jones says:
I hate Nascar games. All I do it go left. Same reason I hated the first Mario game. Going right also makes me sad.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:07:19 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
You actually wasted a Gamefly rental on this crap?

C'Mon! Man!

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:15:32 PM PST
1#Pen Name says:
Xbots still circle jerking this game.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:18:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 7:21:38 PM PST
DVvM says:
I like that Journey exists.

I don't especially like playing it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 7:19:56 PM PST
Yes, I read that it was an awesome game and how no one should die before playing it.

I guess I am a victim of over hype.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 7:21:21 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
That's actually a good way to look at it. I enjoyed it, but it's unlikely I'll play it again unless I suddenly develop the urge to try and get all the trophies. One would be as easy as turning the game on and have the girl sit there meditating and hope that somebody else sits next to her meditating as well (for 5 minutes, lol).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 7:26:48 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
We're always victims of hype, that's why I avoid ''gaming press'' as much as possible and only look for gameplay stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 7:35:52 PM PST
Damn it! That was the next game on my list.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 7:38:43 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
If you're like me and don't really care about SUPER DEEP STORY as long as there's almost no gameplay involved, then stay the hell away of it. You can always follow a playthrough in Youtube and the experience will be pretty much the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 7:49:37 PM PST
At least you can actually die now though. That's something, I'd say.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:00:53 PM PST
You can also jump, as much gameplay as an early platformer. I'm not saying that the game isn't more art than mechanics but I think your particular interpretation is wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:03:00 PM PST
For a game all about choices I'd say trying to watch it on YouTube misses the entire point.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:06:28 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
The game has basic mechanics but I think you missed the point of the game if you can't get over just "moving forward." It was a little more involved than that. I can definitely see how Journey would be a game not everyone would enjoy though. At least you gave the game an entire run through before giving your thoughts on it since some people haven't even done that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:09:52 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
There are plenty of playthroughs with different paths .. it's just a matter of searching them. Oh well, at least that's what I'd recommend to the OP, since he likes gameplay above all (which is ironic, these are games after all)

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 8:13:15 PM PST
Technosapien says:
Play it again. For some reason, it took me a second run through to realise what an incredible game Journey is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:14:54 PM PST
I...just...butt...no.

Should I put someone on ignore purely for bad taste?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:16:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 8:36:23 PM PST
Yeah, I don't see why not. I have.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:28:10 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
do as you like .. you should be old enough to decide.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 9:33:47 PM PST
I actually went into the game thinking I would dislike it because of the lack of gameplay. I ended up loving it. There's something very...moving...about the experience. I'm not sure why. I definitely wouldn't call it a game, and as such I find the "GAME of the year" wins/nominations frustrating. It's more of an..."experience"? Not sure what to call it. But I did find the experience pretty satisfying, perhaps because I went in with pretty low expectations.

I've actually had the exact same experience with The Walking Dead. Also not a game. Also an "experience". Also had low expectations, also loved it (so far...done with eps 1 and 2).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  84
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions