Grand Theft Auto V Details Revealed

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 7:28:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 7:29:12 AM PST
FOGE says:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/08/grand-theft-auto-v-details-revealed

Grand Theft Auto V Details Revealed
Multiple playable characters for the first time.
by Andrew Goldfarb
November 8, 2012

The first official details about Grand Theft Auto V have been announced. In the newest digital issue of Game Informer, Rockstar has revealed that the game will have three playable characters -- Michael, Trevor and Franklin. Players will switch between characters "constantly" with a single button press, allowing them to see missions from different perspectives.

Michael is a retired bank robber in his early 40s who is now in the witness protection program, and whose wife has burned through his substantial fortune, causing him to get "back into the game." His friend Trevor, the second protagonist, is around the same age as Michael and described as a "drugged out psychopath" who's a career criminal and prone to violence.

The final character, Franklin, works as a repo man and is younger, in his mid 20s. Franklin is described as "the young and capable one of the bunch." All three come together to perform heists, which are described as "a big theme in the game."

Game Informer's Cover

Players will experience missions as different combinations of the three characters, and each will have a different skillset. For example, in one heist mission, Michael rappels down the side of a building while Franklin uses a sniper rifle from afar and Trevor flies in a helicopter above. Players can switch back and forth between Michael grabbing a target inside the building or Franklin trying to snipe enemies inside. Once you escape, the player can choose to fly the getaway helicopter as Trevor, snipe other pilots as Franklin or fire a gun from the back of the vehicle as Michael.

Los Santos will be the biggest open world in Rockstar's history, "bigger than Read Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto IV and San Andreas combined." Players will also be able to explore underwater areas of the city.

Rockstar has also changed driving mechanics, noting that cars "hold to the ground a bit better" and have "a little more physics on them," making driving feel more like a racing game. Shooting and melee combat have also been improved, as have pedestrian models (some pedestrians have now been mapped using motion capture for more realistic movement). Rockstar also hasn't employed any celebrities to provide voices for the game.

Heists will be a key element, but players will also experience elements similar to Red Dead Redemption's dynamic encounters, including stopping to check on broken cars and picking up hitchhikers. Players will also be able to chase and catch muggers or rob cash vans.

Characters can be customized by changing clothes, but height and weight customization isn't included. The phone will also return for obtaining important info, but will now be more modern, with features more like what you'd see on a smartphone. Some items previously only accessible from the phone in Grand Theft Auto IV will simply be accessible on the map. For the first time, Grand Theft Auto V will also have an original musical score.

Each character will have their own social circle -- Michael has his wife and son (Amanda and Jimmy), Franklin has a "crazy friend" named Lamar and Trevor has a paranoid conspiracy theorist friend named Ron. Separately from missions, players will be able to switch between characters and see them living their daily lives. You'll be able to switch between characters at any time when you're not in a mission. Each character also has unique hobbies that only they can participate in, though Rockstar is still "ironing out all the details" on exactly what those will entail. There also won't be romance in the game as there was in Grand Theft Auto IV, and while there will be multiplayer, Rockstar hasn't released details just yet.

Outside of missions, players will be able to participate in multiple activities including yoga, triathalons, jet skiing, base jumping, tennis and golf. They can also cruise around the gigantic map in vehicles, with a confirmed list so far that includes several bikes, cars and trucks as well as helicopters, planes, ATVs and jet skis.

Players won't be able to own real-estate, but there will be plenty of other things for them to spend their money on. There will also be appearances from characters from Grand Theft Auto IV and Episodes from Liberty City -- just not major characters like Niko Bellic. Rockstar explains that the five Grand Theft Auto games on PlayStation 2 are one universe, while Grand Theft Auto IV and V exist in a separate "high definition universe," so don't expect to see C.J. or Tommy as there won't be any crossovers.

Grand Theft Auto V will hit stores in Spring 2013 and has only been confirmed for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 thus far. The game was originally announced in October 2011, followed by the first trailer in November. The idea of multiple playable characters was actually rumored early on, first suggested the day after the original announcement.

Rockstar will release the second trailer for Grand Theft Auto V on November 14th. For all the details in the trailer, check out our live Rewind Theater of the trailer that day, plus a ton of additional info throughout next week.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:29:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 7:29:54 AM PST
jtshiel says:
Cock blocked by the work filter :(

Edit: Oh you provided the story, thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:31:58 AM PST
FOGE says:
Haha yeah. I always edit it a few seconds later to add the story. Youre welcome :)

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:34:26 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
Yoga? YOGA FIRE!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 9:26:26 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
keji posted this yesterday, but good info nonetheless for those who missed that thread.

I'm too lazy to find a link.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 10:07:44 AM PST
Kr155 says:
I like how they keep it fresh by changing up the theme, and bank heists is a good theme.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:14:11 AM PST
Mel says:
uh, oh
they changed teh formula, INTERNeT petitions!

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:44:09 AM PST
LogJam says:
Sounding righteous! Can't think of anyone more pumped for this game than you, Fogies

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:07:53 PM PST
Frankenzubaz says:
No romance? Are hookers considered romantic?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:09:25 PM PST
FOGE says:
Not sure if you played GTA IV, but there was a mission called Three Leaf Clover. It took like an hour or more to beat and it was phenomenally fun. Pretty much like the shootout in Heat. Everyone raved about how amazing it was. Its awesome that Rockstar listened and is giving us more. I am excite.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:10:01 PM PST
FOGE says:
Hahaha yeah. I may be a tad obsessed with GTA. I've been a fan of the series since GTA2.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:15:21 PM PST
Dang, I liked "owning" property/neighborhoods.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:23:54 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
I really wish they'd get rid of the pointless minigames or at least make them do something for your character. Yoga?! Tennis?! Golf?! Come on. I really doubt people play GTA so they can get their Yoga on.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:29:51 PM PST
Mel says:
yoga with farts, worth it

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:33:15 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
...No?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:35:47 PM PST
Mel says:
sorry dude, you're just a bad gamer, no taste

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:39:41 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Coming from a guy who wants Yoga with farts? Can't say I care about your "taste"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:03:18 PM PST
Mel says:
You're too simple to even understand doing Yoga after a cop killing spree. You aren't on the same level as me. I'm better than you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:19:49 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Riiiiight.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:46:42 PM PST
Kr155 says:
Yeah i played that. It was a highlight of the game. I wasnt a huge fan of 4, but I did like that mission. and it sounds like over all they are improving V in all the right ways too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:55:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 1:55:38 PM PST
Kr155 says:
I bought GTA IV because it included the best billiards and strip club simulators on the market at the time :)

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 2:49:17 PM PST
KrisCo says:
Whenever I think of yoga, I think of Korean men screaming at butts.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 3:36:17 PM PST
Holy Crap!! Rockstar always raises the bar. I liked GTA4 although I, like many other people, missed the huge world and tons of side quests that San Andreas had. After Red Dead Redemption I just KNEW that GTA 5 would be bigger and full of more stuff to do. With the multiple playable characters,.. i was kind of hoping they would introduce a female playable character for the first time in the series,..but oh well. No big deal. Saints Row 3 got boring FAST. But I still play GTA 4 sometimes just to do vigilante missions or screw around with the physics and stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 4:49:21 PM PST
FOGE says:
Haha yes it was. I was quite fond of the bowling actually. It was the first next gen game I bought and at the time it blew me away. I'm sure GTA V will do the same.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 12:04:04 AM PST
Nicos says:
It would be pretty neat if Daniel Lamb showed up. At the end of Manhunt 2 IIRC he was headed to San Fiero. I guess technically he would fall under the "non-HD" GTA-universe.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions