Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Fire Emblem Awakening vs Persona 4 Golden

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 4, 2013 1:30:22 PM PST
J. Gury says:
Which one should I get, I am a fan of JRPG's, but I have never played either of these series games. Which do you recommend?

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 1:31:36 PM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Both are good and you can't go wrong either way.

If you want a strategy RPG, get Fire Emblem.

If you want a turn-based RPG, get Persona 4.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 1:31:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 1:32:09 PM PST
I'm personally having a hard time getting into Persona 4 Golden due to the high school setting... but I've heard so many rave reviews around here I'm going to try and give it a fair shot.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 1:34:15 PM PST
Bobbum Man says:
It made me feel very creepy interacting with all of those 15 year old girls. Game could have easily been set in a college 18+ environment.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 1:34:30 PM PST
J. Gury says:
I actually am in high school so that wouldn't bother me as much.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 1:34:44 PM PST
They are so different from each other that it is difficult to say which is better for you without knowing your tastes. You can't go wrong with either one though. They are both magnificent.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 1:35:12 PM PST
If I were you.....I would get them both and play them both each day. <_<

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 1:36:03 PM PST
Do you prefer strategy RPGs or classic turn based combat?

I personally loved Persona 4 Golden but I haven't played Fire Emblem so I can't comment on that.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 1:36:51 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Fire Emblem is a strategy RPG like Final Fantasy Tactics, XCOM or Disgaea. From what I hear, it's a particularly great one. There's a demo for it in the 3DS eShop, and it's really good.

Persona 4 Golden is a VERY Japanese RPG with social simulator elements. From my time with it, 60% of the time you're managing your daily life as a high school kid, making friends, going to extracurricular activities, etc. The other 40% you're dungeon crawling in an alternate reality. The story is bizarre, but very entertaining, and definitely takes center stage. In fact, the first three hours of the game are all story with very little gameplay. One of the best and most unique games I've ever played, but it's definitely not for everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 1:37:18 PM PST
J. Gury says:
I like both the same honestly, my main problem is that my gaming funds are not as high as I would like.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 1:38:34 PM PST
King George says:
Is persona 4 like ff6 type turn based combat? I played fire emblem it was great but I miss old turned based games like ff4 6 etc

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 1:49:54 PM PST
prsmooth says:
Persona 4 is a great game which will provide at least 70 hours in a single playthru (it took me 102 hours on my 1st playthru). That doesn't include new game + which you may want to do to unlock high leveled personas and try different endings.

I haven't played Fire Emblem yet, but I should be getting it today. I plan to play this sometime soon probably after Castlevania. Its gotten good reviews across the board , so if you like srpgs it seems you can't go wrong.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 1:53:30 PM PST
Tough choice. I haven't picked up either[yet] but Fire Emblem interests me a lot more.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 1:55:03 PM PST
Gameresq says:
I am currently on Chapter 26: Endgame in Fire Emblem: Awakening with about 52 hours clocked. This is easily the best Fire Emblem game to date. I have not played Persona 4, but I can strongly recommend Fire Emblem if you like SRPGs.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 1:57:48 PM PST
It's not so much that I'm no longer in high school. It's that I don't dig a high school as a setting... unless it's completely over the top like Lollipop Chainsaw.

If it wouldn't bother you though, I'd go for Persona.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 2:17:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 2:18:42 PM PST
Zero says:
Fire Emblem and Persona are tied for my favorite series of all time. For Persona 4, it is my favorite in the series, and I am still playing through Fire Emblem Awakening. Both games are extremely fantastic in my opinion, and I recommend getting both at some point, even if you have to get one and then wait a while to get the other. If you can only get one at the moment, I recommend Persona 4 Golden. This game is my favorite game of all time. The cast is amazing and has variety, and has some of the best character developement I have ever seen in a video game. This game also has intentionally made me laugh more than any other game has with some of the events in the game. Fusing Personas, grinding in dungeons, and social links are all addicting, and social links add even more depth to the characters. Even though I haven't beaten Awakening, I can imagine that Persona 4 Golden is a longer game, and you would probably put more time into it than Fire Emblem in a single playthrough. It matters which type of game you prefer, but in my personal opinion, Persona 4/Persona 4 Golden is the closest thing that I have ever played to being a perfect game.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 2:19:12 PM PST
aidenraine says:
they're both shining examples of great games in their genre. you really can't go wrong with either, so you might as well just flip a coin.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 2:22:07 PM PST
saskamazon says:
I just picked up P4G today ... got lucky & a local small game store had the preorder skin - so I decided to grab it. not sure I have the approx. 100 hours just now, but I may try & play it in small increments.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 3:01:18 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Good luck trying not getting hooked!

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 3:36:03 PM PST
Really tough choice here, man. Both are great games with excellent stories and addicting combat. I'd personally lean towards Persona 4, but that's only because the "slice of life" high school story is so refreshing to me (I play a lot, A LOT of medieval fantasy games).

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 3:53:38 PM PST
Paper Tiger says:
I had never played either series until the latest handheld editions and they are both excellent games. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I think Persona has the better story and more likable characters though.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 9:33:51 PM PST
Ham Salad says:
Lair.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 10:33:25 PM PST
Dj Chiszle says:
Get Persona 4 the golden. Why? because it's the best game ever in all ways possible and it's Persona. You can't keep it though, Because I love it and it's mine!
Only game I ever put 100 hours into in less than a week. Smh

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 11:34:30 PM PST
Jinglecell says:
Persona is a great game, although I'm stuck at the moment. I think I'm underleveled, or I'm not going about the right strategy. To tell you where I am without spoiling, I am in one of the dungeons and I'm having to play two boss battles back to back (the first time this has occurred in my game). I've put the game down since I'm having so much trouble.

Despite that, the graphics are gorgeous and don't seem that dated (for a handheld anyway). The colors are amazing and the gameplay is straight up fun. And while the high school aspect doesn't sound so appealing, it grows on you. I found myself at times looking forward to see what happens as the story goes along and building stronger relationships with my friends. I usually don't go for stuff like that in a game, but here... it works.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 11:40:13 PM PST
Dj Chiszle says:
What I did on my first and only play through so far was to go through each dungeon 1 extra time. After the first time when I was forced to do it to progress I would go through 1 more time before continuing the story. I was about level 80 or 90 something towards the end and it was pretty easy for me on normal
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Mar 4, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions