Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: What makes a good boss?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 5:51:59 PM PST
I got a new job about a month ago, and I'm now in charge of a group of faculty who have a reputation for being difficult, resistant to change, and poorly motivated. It's basically my job to connect with them, turn them around, and get better results. This is the hardest leadership job I've ever had. I've been reading a lot about being a good leader, but I thought I'd ask the wise folks of the VGF your thoughts too.

So, has anyone ever had a really awesome boss? What did he/she do to get the best out of you (salmoning does not count here people). What did your crappy bosses do to make them crappy?

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 5:57:46 PM PST
"salmoning does not count here people"

Ah, well in that case I can't help you.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 6:01:05 PM PST
Best bosses I've ever had empowered me to do what I needed to do to perform my job. Also, no micro-managing. Maybe have a team meeting with them to ask them what they feel they need to do their job the easiest/most efficient way, and what isn't working out with what they do, and then ask them what can be done to improve it. Basically, try to motivate them to contribute by hearing what they say. Of course, you can openly facepalm in front of them if they start talking about getting paid lunches or such.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 6:02:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 6:05:29 PM PST
Jawwaad says:
I think a good boss is someone who doesn't put themselves above the workers but rather interacts with them like everyone is on the same level. At my day job, my boss is like that but has the respect from us workers that he is the boss. He talks to us with respect and talks with us rather than at us. He's a good dude and he has my utmost respect as a boss and a person.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 6:06:57 PM PST
When I worked with other people I always felt like complementing each other helped the most. If someone complements you, give them a complement back. Maybe it will catch on and the group will act as team.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 6:09:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 6:10:27 PM PST
"What did he/she do to get the best out of you (salmoning does not count here people)."

does spooning?

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 6:15:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 6:17:31 PM PST
A customer says:
A lotta hit points.

Oh.

Having worked in construction my entire life, the best bosses are the hardasses. Coddling and encouragement does not get the job done in our field. If the workers can't handle it, then they're weeded out. That simple.

Case in point, the best boss I ever worked for was a former Marine Corps gunnery sergeant. You better believe we got shit done.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 6:34:14 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 6:51:58 PM PST
I don't think I've ever had a decent boss. At Papa Johns I went from boss to boss. Some were atrocious, often blaming other people for their faults, ect.... We were often extremely understaffed and I became quite good as a result of having to constantly work under pressure, but that was less good management and more my own internal need for perfection.

As a CNA I had many nurses, but they were not really bosses in any sense, some were catty and whiny, others could care less what I did.

As an activities assistant, my bosses were just awful. They often left me unable to do the job, and that's when they weren't demanding increasingly more work out of me.

As a Lab Tech, my boss didn't really teach or train me. I was kind of on my own to learn everything, I didn't really "thrive" without leadership.

So that was my experience, the solution? I'm earning a pHD, so that I can become a PI with my own lab and be the boss.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 7:33:32 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Hands off, trusting, always available to help.

My current boss is perfect.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 8:12:46 PM PST
Jane Jammer says:
"The biggest thing to remember is that this is a team effort and no one person is more important than the rest."

In the military this is usually true, I did my time in the Navy and being on a hose team in a main space fire is different than working in the private sector. As a "boss" you are usually the team leader. They answer to you and you answer to your boss, if the job doesnt get done your boss is not going to blame the team he/she will blame you.

I have 37 direct reports where I work, 6 are managers with roughly 110 people reporting to them. When I meet with them(my team) and we set up projects the manager answers to me not his team memebers. If they dont get the desired results its the managers butt not his teams. I leave that up to them to hash it out come review time.

The best advise I could give somebody being put into this type of position is to treat people how you would like to be treated and remember that everyone is different, but it is also a job and one day you may get to promote these people or even fire them. You are not their friend you are the boss and they will be looking to you for leadership, not a drinking buddy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:48:59 AM PST
WeScYdE says:
Currently i am in the military going on 15 years, We constantly go to school at my rank on how to be a better boss and take care of our troops. I think the one thing that is constant is to know what your people are good at and maximize that. Know what their strenghts and weakness are so you know when a certain request comes or certain assigmnent you know who will be good for that. Also recognize your people when they do a good job. In my current job i get to see what people feel are lacking and that is at the top of the list in the military. If they do a good job tell them. Also do not show a favorite ever! Most people want to be heard and able to give their opinions, now they will not all be good but as a group you can discuss those and that way you dont have to be the only person saying no that sucks.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:51:24 AM PST
new Tron says:
1. Willing to get in the trenches with their employees and get their hands dirty, if it comes to that
2. Uses positive reinforcement
3. No micromanaging

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:51:49 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
Give them caramel treats whenever they do a good job.
Hit them with a ruler when they do a bad job.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:53:37 AM PST
The exact opposite of what ever MY boss does makes a good boss.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:58:48 AM PST
WeScYdE says:
Also a couple good books we have been recommended that i have read are lincoln on leadership and there is one we got in school called strengh based leadership:

Strengths-Based Leadership
Lincoln On Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:03:57 AM PST
My boss lets us know what needs to be done, gives us the tools to get it done and just lets us at it. We succeed the vast majority of the time. She is awesome.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:05:05 AM PST
90% of the job is being a psychologist.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:06:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 8:13:14 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:07:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 8:14:26 AM PST

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:07:16 AM PST
"A *Bittersweet®* Yule in Tulle!!! says:
My boss asks me "what project are you working on"???"

Pretending I'm a girl on the internet, duh.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:09:42 AM PST
Hahaha Puke...That's a real knee slapper!!!

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:14:39 AM PST
I've never really had a crappy boss. I've either been very lucky or I'm very flexible. My current boss is a bit of a scatterbrain but she doesn't have much of an affect on my job. Once you become a boss .. who YOUR boss is isn't as important. In my experience anyways.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:27:07 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
The best boss I ever had was great because first and foremost, she never micromanaged. She trusted me fully to do the job, and I didn't let her down. Also, she had my back when our director made unreasonable demands...as the subject matter expert on reporting for my organization, my boss trusted what I said, relayed it to the director and all was well. A prior boss I had in this same job was a total brown-noser and had my back until the powers that be shot me down...then she turned on me in a flash.

Also, my good boss was also a mentor. She would share her knowledge and expertise in order to make me a better person.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:43:49 AM PST
damn, i thought this thread was gonna have some sexy-cougar-boss jokes
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
olly Moss poster of the last of us is amazing 1 5 minutes ago
OT: Hey kiddo's... just so you know, it's okay to enjoy your scotch any way you choose. 27 9 minutes ago
Xbox - Destiny Beta discussion thread 122 12 minutes ago
OT: I'm tired of being harassed on this forum 92 14 minutes ago
OT: Man, Taylor Swift is Attractive. 37 16 minutes ago
I hope Wolfenstein: The New Order is the start of a sea change for first person shooters 180 17 minutes ago
OT: These Are the 10 Unhappiest Cities in America 18 18 minutes ago
I finally finished college - How the hell do I celebrate? 20 24 minutes ago
Sonic Wii storybook games good? 3 28 minutes ago
OT: The VGF has become a wretched hive of scum and villainy 3 31 minutes ago
Weekend Gaming 7/25 - 7/27 156 45 minutes ago
NES Remix 1 & 2 getting retail release in North America this holiday 1 54 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions