Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

If I didn't like Farcry 2, will I like Farcry 3?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2013 2:45:39 PM PST
Ham Salad says:
Farcry 2 had some decent action and gameplay. But IMO, the story, dialogue, and other elements of how the whole game was setup made me lose interest in it very quickly.

I've heard only great things about Farcry 3, but I'm a little leery about getting it knowing how bored I was with Farcry 2. Is Farcry 3 that much better of a game?

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 2:47:18 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Several VGF regulars picked Far Cry 3 as their 2012 GOTY, myself included, and I hated 2. Like with a passion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 2:47:49 PM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
Much much better, and I am one of the (seemingly) few who liked the 2nd one. Everything that was annoying has been removed or improved upon in the 3rd game. If you like open world games and FPS there is really nothing better out there.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 2:49:39 PM PST
I. Flores says:
Is FarCry2 the one available for "free" on PSplus a while back?
If it is, I played it for a couple of hours, and then quickly deleted off my hard drive.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 2:52:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 2:55:27 PM PST
Jack Pacini says:
Most definitely. No malaria, a HUD, all around much more forgiving, yet still a decent challenge.

Edit: Plus it's actually fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 2:53:19 PM PST
Yup, that was it. However, I'm actually waiting to see a demo for the game on Steam so I can check it out. I hate shooters, but the love being shown here in the VGF is making me want to take a look regardless. Not all FPS's are bad, just look at Bioshock.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 2:55:21 PM PST
Far Cry 3 is a great game, and fixes most of the problems of the second. I highly recommend it.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 2:58:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 3:00:08 PM PST
Voice of god says:
I gave up on Far Cry 2 after about six hours when I realized I wasn't having fun. There were too many flaws and terrible design choices, like enemies that respawn instantly when you walk 20 feet away from them and nonexistent stealth.

Far Cry 3 fixes every problem I had with 2. It is excellent and fun. If you think you will like that type of game, you will like Far Cry 3.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 3:01:43 PM PST
ebrown0104 says:
In theory, I liked Far Cry 2. In practice, it wasn't that good. The stupid checkpoints made any kind of exploration a chore - drive down a road, get shot at, keep going, get shot at again, die, start all over. The worst was when you'd clear out a checkpoint, go 500 feet, turn around, and 10 guys magically reappear.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 3:13:37 PM PST
Chris... says:
Far Cry 2 is probably my most hated game of the current console generation. Far Cry 3 is my 2012 GOTY.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 3:30:49 PM PST
JJ4prez says:
Couldn't stand 2, FC3 is my game of the year, and 3rd for my game of the generation.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 7:35:17 PM PST
Ham Salad says:
Great, thanks for the input! I'll have to pick this up sometime then.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 8:00:03 PM PST
Definitely worth it, great game with one of the best villains in a while. Story is much better in the first half but the game is so fun that it's ok.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 5:48:01 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Definitely agree, although I do think the second island is harder because of the different enemies...I do love the first islands story.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 5:57:26 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
The spike in difficulty between islands is super high. You go from being able to sneak right up to a pirates face who is looking at you crouch-walking through the bushes to the privateers who can see you from a mile away through dense foliage. I think the privateers are the enemies from Far Cry 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:02:43 AM PST
Voice of god says:
I didn't think enemies were any more perceptive on the second island. There just isn't as much foliage to hide behind.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:04:26 AM PST
they don't miss...they're way more accurate....its great they don't charge you with molotovs

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:15:40 AM PST
not to say the 2nd island is frustrating or a return to FC2 style uber-enemies, it's just the first island was pretty easy and the second island is more of a (fair) challenge.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:16:28 AM PST
Cats Go Nyan says:
Yes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:29:07 AM PST
It wasn't that big, plus you are able to get closer before anyone reacts to you on the 2nd island.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:32:20 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I just meant that it seemed that the first island was easy and the second island was like normal. The enemies are more perceptive, shoot accurately at longer distances, are harder to lose, and swarm easily. Also, they have all those heavy guys. Those guys are a pain to bring down. I liked in Spec Ops: The Line that when those heavy guys showed up, I had sticky grenades to lob at them. That made them way easier. Some of those heavies in Far Cry 3 took 4 explosive arrow headshots to bring down.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:41:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 6:42:08 AM PST
Z93, single shot to the head, makes pretty quick work of the heavies. Once I'm spotted I might hold up in a 2nd floor and wait for the heavy to get close enough that I can jump out and kill them with a takedown.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:02:04 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I thought both islands were pretty easy, but I was playing on easy =p

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:04:18 AM PST
Pansy

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:19:06 AM PST
"In theory, I liked Far Cry 2. In practice, it wasn't that good. The stupid checkpoints made any kind of exploration a chore - drive down a road, get shot at, keep going, get shot at again, die, start all over. The worst was when you'd clear out a checkpoint, go 500 feet, turn around, and 10 guys magically reappear."

This exactly how I feel about FC2, 3 is an awesome game and my GOTY as well. The story gameplay and setting are all much better.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions