Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

The Walking Dead Season 4 official but comes with surprising (possibly bad) news

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2012 12:45:46 PM PST
It's no shock that The Walking Dead has officially been renewed for Season 4. In fact, given what a huge hit it is, it's odd it took this long for AMC to make it official. But there was a big surprise in the press release AMC just put out announcing the renewal: Executive Producer/Showrunner Glen Mazzara is leaving the series. Mazzara of course replaced original showrunner Frank Darabont, in what was a widely-publicized shakeup behind-the-scenes on the series.

The press release reads:

"AMC also jointly announces with Glen Mazzara today that for future seasons, the two parties have mutually decided to part ways. Glen guided the series creatively for seasons 2 and 3. AMC is grateful for his hard work. We are both proud of our shared success.

Both parties acknowledge that there is a difference of opinion about where the show should go moving forward, and conclude that it is best to part ways. This decision is amicable and Glen will remain on for post-production on season 3B as showrunner and executive producer."

Glen Mazzara has released the following statement: "My time as showrunner on The Walking Dead has been an amazing experience, but after I finish season 3, it's time to move on. I have told the stories I wanted to tell and connected with our fans on a level that I never imagined. It doesn't get much better than that. Thank you to everyone who has been a part of this journey."

The Walking Dead's creator, Robert Kirkman, has released his own statement as well: "I am in full support of both AMC and Glen Mazzara in the decision they have come to and believe the parties came to this decision in the best interest of the future of the show. I thank Glen for his hard work and appreciate his many contributions to The Walking Dead and look forward to working with him as we complete post production on Season 3. I am also excited to begin work on another spectacular season of this show that I know means so much to so many people. This show has always been the result of a wide range of extremely talented men and women working tirelessly to produce their best work collectively. I believe the future is bright for The Walking Dead. Thank you to the fans for your continued support."

Lastly, Gale Anne Hurd, who continues on as an executive producer, said in her statement, ""I am appreciative and grateful to Glen for his hard work on The Walking Dead. I am supportive of AMC and Glen's decision and know that the series is in great hands with one of the most talented and dedicated casts and crews in the business. I look forward to the show's continued success.""

For such a big hit -- this fall it achieved the astounding feat of becoming the biggest scripted series on television among among adults 18-49 -- The Walking Dead has been through a lot of creative turbulence in its three seasons on the air. Darabont was replaced by AMC in the first half of Season 2, with Mazzara (who was already writing for the series) taking his place as showrunner. It's not clear yet who will replace Mazzara for the fourth season and if it will be someone already working on the series or someone brand new to The Walking Dead.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/21/the-walking-dead-renewed-for-season-4-showrunner-glen-mazzara-leaves-series-over-difference-of-opinion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wasn't pleased with Darabont departing the series because of the changes it brought. Certain actors were only there because of him and thus were killed off so they could depart alongside him. Darabont had a vision and a direction but AMC stupidly pushed back. I was nervous going into season three but so far things have been pretty good.

That might be changing though with Mazzara departing as well who was second in command under Darabont. The big thing that jumps out at me is how they (Mazzara and AMC) weren't seeing eye to eye on the show which is rather similar to what went down with Darabont. AMC wanted smaller sets, more indoor scenes, and a smaller budget but Darabont said no telling them that his way was the way to make it work on TV. And he was right.

Mazzara has followed suit as well with season three featuring the prison, plenty of outdoor scenes, Woodbury, and more. Whatever scaling back AMC wanted it apparently didn't happen on the level they were hoping for because now Mazzara has departed mid season (again like Darabont).

Could AMC be shuffling around show runners now to find the person who will bend to their will? I'm starting to think so and I hope the show overall doesn't suffer because of the stupidity AMC keeps showcasing. They've got a hit on their hands and from the sounds of it they are trying to maximize profit while spending as little as possible letting the name of the show do the heavy lifting.

A standard has already been set and if the show starts to dip below that standard I can promise you viewers will stop watching. AMC is already messing up badly with shows like Breaking Bad which is taking nearly a year break during it's mid season and other show heads have talked about the push back they've got from AMC about how their shows were being done.

I'm starting to think that Walking Dead might have an easier time on a network like HBO or Showtime.

Thoughts?

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:48:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 12:48:15 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
AMC is doing everything they can to ruin this series. Ok, getting rid of Darabont midway in season 2, that's fine, the farm part was beginning to get stale, but if this guy is the creative visionary of the series, then they need to keep him because the second half of season 2 and the first half of season 3 have been great, action packed and intense. I hope that this doesn't hurt the show.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:49:27 PM PST
PacinoBully says:
This will be their 3rd one right? Not a good sign. Show doesn't show any signs of suffering from all the behind the scenes drama. Hopefully that continues to be the case. *knock on wood*

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:53:14 PM PST
Carlito says:
Except that Darabont's first half of the second season was paced terribly and was pretty boring, passed to Glenn and it's not like the show isn't without flaws. If Glenn was second to Frank (both who had major pacing lulls) I think you can make a case that the network pushed the action and quick pace (good) against Glenn/Franks crawling snail pace (bad except for intros to characters in season 1).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:53:54 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:10 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:54:50 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Right but the second half of the second season up to now has been pretty action packed. We don't know if that's Glenn or AMC's doing, but I'm going to guess Glenn since him and AMC are bumping heads.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:57:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 12:59:34 PM PST
Ice King says:
I think pretty much any show would do better on HBO or Showtime.

And AMC does seem to have a pretty high opinion of itself. It's like they forget that they're really only a great network for a few hours on Sundays then it's back to showing heavily edited movies everyone has seen a million times and probably owns on DVD with inconvenient annoying breaks every five to ten minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:59:00 PM PST
Carlito says:
You know, i was under the impression that Darabont was fired for numerous reasons, one of them being the conflicts between the studio and Frank over pacing, but after looking it up, I was mistaken so it could very well be that Glenn left because, much like they did to Frank, they're telling him to cut budget again even after record ratings/ad revenue for AMC.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:00:13 PM PST
Actually Darabont was involved with the whole story line for season 2 and everything you saw play out was his vision being carried forward. Season three was Mazzara standing on his own without Darabont and he did a great job (so far). I'm really looking forward to it returning next year but I'm a little worried about season four now.

Also I rather enjoyed the first part of season two. It was a nice slow down to get to know the characters better and see where they all stood with each other. Things got muddled though with Darabont leaving and the script needing to be rewritten in a few places to take out certain people because they no longer wanted to be there without Darabont. It was a little too drawn out but I appreciate what he was going for and that it really carried that sense of character building that the comics have.

@ Pacino

Yup whoever takes it over now will be the third show runner and I hope they don't just start changing things because AMC wants a smaller budget on the biggest show on TV right now.

@ JBitties

Walking Dead isn't about action or quick pace though. It never has been and never will be. Period. End of story.

They are dealing with a well established franchise with a massive fan base and suddenly changing the overall tone and pacing will do nothing but ruin the whole experience. Walking Dead has never been about the walkers either, it's been about the characters and how they survive in this world. The walkers just happen to be there much like how Star Wars just happens to take place in space; space isn't the main focus of Star Wars but rather the focus is on Luke Skywalker and his battle with Darth Vader.

I really hope the show doesn't become all action and a quick pace designed to move things along at a relentless pace because then the characters become lost in the shuffle and thus the main element of the show is lost.

This is why I've been telling people to read the comics for years.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:02:40 PM PST
Any network that has the name American Movie Classics and plays Arachnophobia doesn't understand what the term "classic" means...

And I agree with you completely, AMC is only good for a few hours on Sunday and then the rest of the time they are just another channel no one cares about. They took a gamble with Walking Dead, it paid off big time, and now I worry that they are squandering it thinking the fans will stick around no matter what.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:08:12 PM PST
Carlito says:
The WD comics, no, they're not about that, but the TV show is. I understand you liked the first half of season 2 but the over whelming opinion is that, while it was good, it didn't stand up to season 1, the second half of season 2 or even season 3 to this point because it was a boring, plodding, mess.

And it's not about all action all the time, I need character development too but the snail pace the story took did nothing to enhance anyone outside of Daryl (who wasn't until recently not even a comic character) and Andrea (who's been destroyed this season character wise). The one thing the second half managed to do great is A. make the fan base hate a missing child B. Hate Carl C. Hate Laurie D. Excitedly await the death of Dale and E. Pray to the heavens that something, anything happened in the second half (thankfully it did).

The show isn't the comics, the story it tells especially recently keeps moving further and further away from the comics (get ready for Daryl to be a...scratch that...THE lead) and it's a different vision because in the end, Kirkman owns everything great about the comic but the show is not his show and it's handled by different artists, with different licenses that they're allowed liberties with.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions