Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Assassin's Creed III growing on me

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 112 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 1:53:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 1:54:32 PM PST
OP says:
You guys are making it sound like it's worse than the Thomas Hickey chase, which was terrible (mostly because of the optional objective and the fact that you don't even know what the map looks like when you're doing it, so there's no real way to plan ahead).

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 1:56:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 1:57:38 PM PST
For the big Scottish looking dudes with a backpack and an axe (redcoat): Try my trick. Do the "break defense" attack (It's "A" on the XBOX) twice to knock them down then assassinate them.

For the guys that the game considers "officers" (usually one per squad): Press down to get your fists out and then counter/disarm. Immeadiately mash attack on them and they'll die fast.

For the "Jagers" (the cool-looking guys with a wrapped face and colonial hat): Two words: Indiana Jones. When they attack you, counter them and press the "Y" (top button) while you have your pistol pulled. You'll shoot them in the face and remind everyone that you're an assassin and don't mind being a dishonorable piece of @#$%.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 1:59:34 PM PST
OP says:
Eh, I think you can treat Jagers like officers. I'll have to try that technique with respect to the axe guys.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:02:59 PM PST
FOGE says:
Good advice. Took me a while to figure that out on the axe guys. Still tough to assassinate them on the ground when they're in a group.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:15:33 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
With those insta-countering big guys, I just counter with square, and immediately follow-up with triangle which makes Connor fire an arrow in their face. It's an instant kill and all it requires is having some spare arrows, and making sure the bow is equipped.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:18:05 PM PST
That works? No delay while drawing the string?

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 2:19:48 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Most of the big guys need to be disarmed, you can have a weapon equipped when you disarm, you just knock there weapon down instead of using it as your own.

Also, if you have a sword/tomahawk equipped when the big axe guys do their yellow attack you can roll behind them and then slit their throats before they can recover.

There is one set of big guys that attack with daggers though, and they have to be countered with an attack, they can stop your disarm.

It definately gets confusing at times.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:19:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 2:20:46 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
There is a bit of a delay, sure, but the other guys have NEVER attacked me while I've been in the middle of that animation. Not sure if I've just gotten lucky there, or if you're momentarily invulnerable, though. I'm assuming the latter. And this works on every enemy mentioned above (big guy with axe, officers, Jagers).

Just remember to loot the guys you shoot to get your arrows back. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:21:04 PM PST
Damn I never thought to try it. Thanks for the tip.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:22:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 2:23:23 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
No problem, just be sure to quickly combo the two buttons: circle (counter) + triangle (shoot in face) on PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:29:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 2:35:16 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
I don't agree with most of prsmooth's list, but points 6 & 7 I found to be the case in prior AC games, and are still fairly prevalent here, too (though I have far less trouble running up/jumping off random walls and stuff).

I was personally more critical of the first couple Assassin's Creed games, especially as far as controls and gameplay (specifically combat) are concerned. The controls could sometimes get in the way, and the combat just wasn't fun for me. With AC3, I'm really enjoying the combat now - controls much better, and it's just smoother all-around. There are still some issues with controls, but traversal controls, to me, have been greatly improved with this game.

I mostly only enjoyed AC1 and AC2 for the worlds, aesthetic, and premise. With AC3, I'm enjoying all that AND the gameplay as well this time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:37:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 2:42:14 PM PST
prsmooth says:
I have played all of them to this point. The one I most liked is AC2 with AC Brotherhood a close second.

I do agree some of the issues described above are encountered in the previous games. However, for some reason, to me it just felt they were pronounced or more prevalent in AC3 to the point of it sucking out the enjoyment of the game.

Especially the combat, I was looking forward to the suppose improved combat and honestly it felt more clunky than previous games. Combat was never a strong-point in these games. With that said, I found it to be worse than previous games. It has potential , but there needs to be more tweaks to the combat system so it is more enjoyable.

Maybe I'll give it another chance down the road. I like the hunting (reminded me a little of RDR) and the naval mission to some extent , but the things I mentioned in my previous post really got me pissed and raging at the game sometimes. At that point, I realized I wasn't having fun with the game , so I just finished the main storyline and that's it. In contrast to AC2 which I 100% the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:38:30 PM PST
prsmooth says:
I forgot about this one. I wanted to throw the controller when playing thru this mission.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 2:41:15 PM PST
I agree that traversal is better. Combat does have some kinks, though. Enemies will sometimes exit combat and it will prevent you from even attacking them at all, sometimes you will not see indicators over the heads of combatants for no reason. Smoke bombs don't allow you easy assassinations unless you are not engaged in combat when dropping the bomb (annoying). Lastly, firing squads are annoying to face when your sound is off, because the game doesn't put an indicator on your screen showing you that a firing squad is preparing to shoot you off-screen (must be a pain for hearing-impaired gamers, as well). Overall, though, it's still a blast to take down whole squads with colonial ninjitsu.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:58:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 3:00:29 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Firing squads off-screen have always given me a line of (or a pair of, depending on the number of shooters) yellow triangle indicators. Every now and then it won't (seems to be when they are very far away or possibly at a different elevation), but it shows up almost every time. Not sure if I've had the bug where I can't attack an enemy that's left combat.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 3:35:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 3:36:07 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I think sometimes firing lines give you TOO much indication, to the point that it screws with the camera hardcore(especially when they try to shoot me just as I am getting ready to run away).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:38:03 PM PST
Ahhh maybe that's what it is. It usually happens in forts when I'm at a lower elevation.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:51:34 PM PST
C.W. says:
I had a big problem with that first but I finally figured out the solution. You have to counter, then instead of hitting x, hit a, THEN x. So you counter, then do whatever a does (can't remember what it's called specifically) then strike. Works every time for me.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 4:13:41 PM PST
P. Ramos says:
Anyone who bought this game for the MP is an idiot. this game is fun and i have had little problems with it. the charles lee chase was literaly the only thing, gamplay wise, that was annoying. There were some asthetic bugs that seemed kinda lazy on ubisofts part like some textures going crazy in some cutscenes shadows somtimes looked like a bunch of dots on surfaces. The demond parachute part was by far the lazyest thing ives seen in a video game to day. They literaly just put the jumping animation of conner/desmond in mid air and added a parachute on his back it does not even look like he is holding the straps. But that is such a small part of the game and its only a small asthetical thing that it did not realy matter. overall i give the game a 8.5/10 great game worth the money but if you can wait for a price drop for you to go buy it i wouldnt blame you.

anyone who bought

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 4:55:18 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:32:53 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 4:59:20 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I'm starting to hate the map in this game, I wonder who had the bright idea to not have enough Viewpoints to uncover the entire map?

I'm sitting here wandering the freaking map trying to find another general store for an achievement, and running into quest chains that don't show up.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 5:14:36 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:32:53 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 5:48:17 PM PST
OP says:
A minor quibble I have with the combat is that they used the same animations for tomahawks and daggers, and some of the executions as a result look wrong on one of the two because they appear to have been designed with the other in mind.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 5:49:12 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Holy crap, Achilles is actually twins, one is currently making dinner and the other is snoozing in his chair. How did we MISS this?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 5:49:19 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
I guess the idea is to encourage exploration more, as obviously once the syncs are complete, most people probably just stop all exploring. I know I do. I haven't really noticed it, to be honest, but I'm also not hunting for Trophies.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  112
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions