Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: The Hobbit comes out this weekend...anyone planning on seeing it?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 168 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 10:02:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 10:02:58 PM PST
We saw it on Friday while our dwarf was in school. It's not a perfect film, but it's definitely my most enjoyable theater experience of the year. Great story, of course, and I appreciated the way Jackson was weaving in the larger vision of Tokien mythology. I had been worried about the action sequences getting too drawn out (since one children's novel is getting stretched into three lengthy feature films)...and those scenes are a bit lengthy, but I understand why Jackson went that route and I actually thought it all worked pretty well overall. Hopefully, it's the kind of approach that can draw in younger action fans while still accommodating literary Tolkien nerds like my husband and me. Win-win. :)

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 3:01:10 PM PST
AndrewA says:
Finally saw it. I can't believe the professional reviewers didn't care for it too much. It did a perfect job of honoring the first trilogy while telling it's own story. And good god did it look beautiful.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:32:04 PM PST
M. Stifler says:
Har har. Yes I know that. I'm going to a different IMAX theater to see if there's any difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:25:00 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
You have to put the glasses on.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:10:59 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
I mostly know him from the British version of The Office, and he was Arthur Dent in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:07:19 PM PST
Soulshine says:
YES - I watched the first two episodes. Very good. I forgot that's where I saw that guy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 11:55:27 AM PST
C.W. says:
Such an excellent show from top to bottom.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 11:31:14 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
If you like Bilbo, watch BBC's Sherlock. Great show and a season is only 3 episodes (with only 2 seasons out right now). It's on Netflix Instant. You can thank me later.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 11:21:59 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I was never all that into the LoTR movies so I was surprised at how much I liked this one. I am completely over the fact that they need to stretch this into 3 separate movies - if the other two are just as good I'll have nothing to complain about.

Liked it way more than LoTR. I just this like this bunch of characters better. Actor that plays Bilbo is perfect.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 11:09:27 AM PST
Phranctoast says:
I bought tickets for one theatre and they told us the wrong one. It was blurry until the correction.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:36:20 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
It must have been the theater I went to, but the 3D looked like crap. I could see Gandalf, and beside him another Gandalf. It was like I was cross-eyed. Everyone else in the theater was complaining about it. I'm going to a Real3D theater next weekend to see it, so hopefully it'll be better.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:06:08 AM PST
I hated the 3D in the begining. It looked blurry when everything was moving pretty fast when they were in Erebor. After that it was fine. I didn't mean to see it in 3D, I bought tickets for the wrong showing.

I liked the way it jumped right into a lot of action, but boyfriend wished there was a little more back story / development.

Gollum was amazing in this one, he looked so good.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:33:00 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 18, 2012 9:00:10 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:23:56 AM PST
T. E. Maddox says:
The Fellowship of the Ring has so much angst in it that it gets a little old. This movie was just pure adventure.

There were a few parts I didn't love. The dwarves doing dishes scene with the song seemed out of place. The chariot Radagast rode was cheesy.

The 3D was never in your face and mostly was used to add depth to scenes. I thought it was well done, especially when we got somne of those gorgeous landscape shots.

I will probably go see it again in a few weeks wehn the crowds die down a little.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:24:38 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
"The 3D looked pretty cool at first, but within a few minutes I almost forgot I was watching 3D."

Yeah, it's like that for me sometimes, too. Really noticeable at first, and I slowly just get used to it and forget about it.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 5:57:35 PM PST
Saw it and liked it, about what I expected.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 5:42:11 PM PST
Saw it and loved it. Definitely not on the same level as Lord of the Rings but it was never meant to be. It was awesome to go back to Middle Earth, Jackson and Company knocked this one out of the park in my opinion.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 5:27:25 PM PST
Verbose says:
I watched it this past weekend. I saw the HFR version, but this was actually the first 3D movie I'd ever seen so I can't say how it compared to other 3D formats or to other 3D movies. From some of the things I'd heard, I was half expecting to get a headache or feel nauseous or something. But it had no physical affect on me at all. I'm not normally susceptible to motion sickness though, and I rarely get headaches.

The 3D looked pretty cool at first, but within a few minutes I almost forgot I was watching 3D. Actually, I think I'd stopped noticing it by the time the 3D movie previews were over with. I could see the effects when I thought about it, and it did look nice, but the effects weren't as in-your-face as I expected. The only exception was when the occasional flying object came toward the camera, which made me flinch and remember I was watching 3D.

I really liked the movie itself. I wasn't bored and I didn't look at my watch at all. For me, the three hours went surprisingly fast. As much as I love the LOTR movies (and I do still like them more than this first Hobbit movie), I usually have to watch the extended version of each movie over the course of two days, because that's just too much time for me to spend watching the TV in a single day.

I thought there was a good mix of action and dialogue/plot development. I like action, but I get bored with it fast if it's just a long, drawn-out battle scene or something that doesn't really move the story forward. Especially when everything's moving so fast that it's hard to tell exactly what's happening. There was a little bit of that in the movie, but not so much that it got boring. And the more meaty sequences made up for it.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 4:11:35 PM PST
M. Stifler says:
The IMAX I went to see it in had the WORST 3D I've ever seen. I could see the two images throughout the movie. Luckily it didn't ruin how good the movie was for me, but I'm definitely going to see it in another IMAX next weekend.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 6:09:50 PM PST
mega Tron says:
Loved The Hobbit! Faithful to the book, and some nice extras as well. I saw it in 48 fps 3D. While I can vouch for the 3D, which was pretty awesome at times, the 48 fps was a mixed bag. Was pretty great during the CGI scenes, but pretty lame otherwise.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:35:13 PM PST
AmbientGreen says:
The Star Trek preview was cool as hell (even though I'm not a trekkie). The one that really blew me away was Man of Steel (new Superman), I'm now eagerly looking forward to seeing that movie next year. It wasn't on my radar before I saw the preview of it, but now I'm all aboard and can't wait to see it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:30:21 PM PST
Frenat says:
I would have preferred to see it in 2D but wanted to see the Star Trek scene. Any future viewings will definitely not be 3D.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:18:30 PM PST
AmbientGreen says:
Yes, some spots were actually brilliant with the 3D. There just wasn't enough of that dimensionality consistently sprinkled throughout the entirety for me. Don't get me wrong, really glad that I saw it in 3D. My favorite part was towards the end as well, when goblins were literally flying off the screen in our face! (epic, epic, epic)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:13:38 PM PST
AmbientGreen says:
Great writeup, Rock. I especially agree with you about the the pacing and action sequences, as I found both aspects to be sterling myself. I don't understand some of the complaints from detractors out there myself.

I read some of the reviews from rotten tomatoes and metacritic (I shouldn't have), and I had a very hard time understanding their perspective. I mean everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but some of them just left me scratching my head. Like you intimated, I believe that some people out there are green to the Tolkien universe in general, and went into it EXPECTING Lord of the Rings rehashed under a different title. Which to me, doesn't make very much sense from a storytelling perspective. It's like they read something trendy in tabloid or internet source and cling to that like it's some sort of gospel. I don't get it.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 8:12:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 8:14:30 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Heh, nope I wasn't. It's just ya know, I assumed the film would be about the Hobbit, yet imo this particular entry seemed to be more about the dwarves. The reasoning for him going along with them I found rather random and he sort of felt like a third wheel throughout the majority, if not all of the movie. Perhaps this is how the book goes, but the book isn't broken into 3 sections and perhaps gains more focus on Bilbo in the 2nd and 3rd acts, but this movie by itself just feels incomplete and not about the main character. Maybe after seeing the next two films that complete the story I'll appreciate this more, but I just felt this movie to be more about the Dwarves and their problems than anything having to do with the Hobbit himself.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  52
Total posts:  168
Initial post:  Dec 11, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions