Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

The Walking Dead game you shouldn't buy!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 21, 2013 3:08:00 PM PDT
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/walking-dead-game-shouldn-t-buy-184355588.html

Last year's, Telltale Games gifted gamers with The Walking Dead, a deeply emotional episodic adventure game that offered a breath of fresh air for the video game industry, capturing "Game of the Year" honors from a host of publications - including us.

Unfortunately, a much different Walking Dead game shambled into stores this week, and the only air surrounding it is the rot of decay.

Critics are eviscerating Activision's The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, an action shooter based on the AMC television series, calling it a collection of the worst traits of licensed games and a title that could represent the first utter failing in the seemingly invincible Walking Dead franchise.

Kotaku's Kirk Hamilton is succinct in his headline, calling it "the worst game I've played this year."

"I can think of no compelling reason why anyone should play this game," he writes. "Ugly, flat, boring, aggravating and often broken, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct is the purest form of video game garbage. It's utterly unworthy of your time and money." Read further if you dare.

Polygon is no more forgiving.

"Playing Survival Instinct is like listening to a roomful of barely competent musicians, each of whom is playing a completely different song," says writer Justin McElroy. "And every once in a while one kicks you in the groin. Also, you have a sunburn." He charitably gives it a 3/10.

The game, which focuses on the Merle and Daryl characters from the show, is a mess. Poor graphics. Bland music and level design. No drama. A lack of weapons (most critics say they used their knife for 90 percent of the game). Repetitive missions that often force players to play the same map again and again.

Like life in Robert Kirkman's post-apocalyptic world, it just keeps getting worse.

Survival Instinct, admittedly, never stood much of a chance with gamers. Telltale's 2012 take on the franchise was so iconic that simply reducing it to a shooter didn't sit well with players when it was announced. Terminal Reality, developer of the game, is best known as the company that made Han Solo dance in Star Wars: Kinect. And a leaked (and later revealed to be fake) trailer was abysmal.

Rather than rising to the challenge, the game failed to live up to low expectations.

"It's boring, tedious, and just doesn't make any sense," writes Sophie Prell from The Penny Arcade Report. "Stay away."

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 7:24:13 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 7:25:24 PM PDT
Proof that the game is worthless!

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 7:53:05 PM PDT
Now I want to check this out based on all the negative reviews. It can't be that bad.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 7:57:58 PM PDT
i doubt this game will be any worse than Resident Evil: Survivor - but we'll see.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 8:53:17 PM PDT
Callahan says:
Definitely going to pick up this game after a price drop. Must be a great game with so many bad reviews.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 8:56:36 PM PDT
Voice of god says:
It's available at Redbox. Maybe the perfect way to spend two dollars and a weekend making yourself dumber.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 9:12:31 PM PDT
Horowitz says:
It seriously isn't that bad of a game. Mediocre and average in many respects? Yes.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 9:28:24 PM PDT
Yung says:
Im glad that I passed on it...it looked horrible...in other news I can't wait to pick up Bioshock Infinite on Tuesday

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 9:42:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2013 9:43:02 PM PDT
EYEL1NER says:
It definitely has some interesting ideas, like the different routes you can take by car that involve running out of gas and stopping to scavenge for supplies. And it is based on The Walking Dead.
I'm sure not going to pay full price for it, but I look forward to picking it up for $9.99-$14.99 sometime down the road.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 9:46:55 PM PDT
Dukeshire says:
That is a good price to pay. Don't pay full price....I am not too far into the game but the reviewers say it gets repetitive. Funny though, I have read comments on negative articles about it and a lot gamers seem to like it. It won't become a classic by any means, but I could see a slight cult following surrounding this game.

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 4:31:55 AM PDT
JO MOMMA says:
from the amazon reviews so far, it has better reviews than Gears of War Judgment.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2013 7:39:34 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
That's hilarious. Oh, user reviews, you never cease to amuse.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2013 8:21:12 AM PDT
Voice of god says:
"Funny though, I have read comments on negative articles about it and a lot gamers seem to like it."

That happened after Aliens: Colonial Marines, too. Sometimes early adopters need to convince themselves they didn't waste their money on a terrible purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2013 8:29:19 AM PDT
DVvM says:
People are quite good at convincing themselves that they like something sometimes. Sooner or later people tend to come to their senses.

That being said, I have heartily enjoyed several "bad" games in my time, so maybe some people do really like it.

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 8:34:39 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
I just watched the ending for the game (I certainly won't be playing it), and it's hilarious how random and abrupt it is. Seems like just a cutscene leading into the next and...roll credits.

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 8:38:05 AM PDT
MoultonHawk says:
When is a game based off a movie/tv ever good besides Batman ? Low budget cash grabs aimed at the fanboys.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2013 8:38:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 22, 2013 8:40:27 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
Um, Telltale's The Walking Dead for one.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2013 8:39:42 AM PDT
KrisCo says:
Spiderman 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2013 8:40:40 AM PDT
DVvM says:
Goldeneye 007 on the N64?

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 8:41:18 AM PDT
Unchartediana Jones?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2013 8:43:11 AM PDT
new Tron says:
Transformers: War for Cybertron. Based of the 80's cartoon.

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 8:43:26 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
Lord of the Rings games are usually pretty decent.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2013 8:44:11 AM PDT
pokritz says:
I enjoyed Captain America

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 8:44:41 AM PDT
new Tron says:
MoultonHawk just got owned.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Mar 21, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions