Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Blizzard account hacked

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 27, 2013 7:55:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2013 7:55:40 AM PST
Junkiiiii says:
I used to play WoW but not anymore. And recently D3. Well I just got an email stating that I requested a user name change to a domain in China. I tried to log in to my account as quickly as possible and nothing. I tried to recover my account using my security answer and nothing. They must have changed it.

Anyone here had their battle dot net account hacked in this fashion? I was hacked before but not to the point where I couldn't recover my account. I hope I can clear this up. I am currently waiting for their phone support to open to call them.

And I did have an authenticator on the account at one point but I had to do a factory reset on my phone and lost all of my info. I eventually had to take the authenticator off to log in.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 7:56:49 AM PST
Cats Go Nyan says:
"Well I just got an email stating that I requested a user name change to a domain in China. I tried to log in to my account as quickly as possible and nothing."

That might have been the problem. Was that email actually from Blizzard?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 7:56:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2013 7:57:41 AM PST
I have, and so have several friends.

Did they already place an authenticator on your account?

Use their phone support, not their online support. Otherwise it'll take weeks. Literally weeks.

You didn't follow the link IN the email did you?!

If you ever feel you may have been hacked, go directly to Battle.net and try to log in from there. Never follow an email link.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 7:57:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2013 7:58:09 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
If you have a smartphone get the free authenticator app and link it to your account.

Edit: Nevermind, didn't read the whole post.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 7:58:16 AM PST
Too late if he can't even sign in.

They probably put an authenticator on it and changed the email address.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 8:01:12 AM PST
I had a really really weird one. Someone somehow moved one of their characters onto my WoW account. This was AFTER I had cancelled the sub. I had no active sub at all, but I got several emails about failed character transfers. I thought they were just the usual fakes that you get and ignored them.

Once D3 came out I logged into my Bnet account to see that yeah, I showed like 3 failed character transfers and had some weird character on my account on another server. I emailed Blizz about it. Somehow they'd gotten that character on my account and were able to somewhat spoof my account, but since my actual account was closed while they were trying to transfer my real characters off my account, it just denied it.

It was kind of weird to say the least. I changed all my passwords and set up an authenticator after that just to be safe, but have had zero issues since then.

The funniest part is I wish they had succeeded in transferring my characters. Before I quit I knew it was for good so put everything I owned on every character in the guild bank. So they would have had to spend the 30 bucks per transfer to get completely naked, goldless characters.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 8:02:32 AM PST
Junkiiiii says:
The email was from blizzard. And I did try to log in going to battle dot net and not following a link. It didn't work.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 8:02:48 AM PST
FOGE says:
I thought I heard something about the Chinese hacking our infrastructure. I had no idea the damage was so severe. I believe this could be the end of the World...

... of Warcraft

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 8:05:20 AM PST
Then you need to call them ASAP.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 8:11:10 AM PST
Geomancer says:
Almost all account hacks in games like this come from third party websites.

So you go to a site like wowwiki or wowhead or similar and make an account. Almost every person in the world uses the same e-mail, and same password, for just about everything. Those little, dinky, third party sites have zero security, literally none at all. They just run stock open source code and at best they at least keep it updated, but they don't have an IT staff or anything like that to manage their server.

Hackers usually do what is called an SQL injection attack, a way to grab information out of a database you wouldn't normally be able to. From that they get ... a list of e-mails, user names, and passwords. Most websites use something like md5 to hash passwords, but they fail to realize that hashes like that have long since been cracked.

Anyways, said hackers then just run that list of e-mails and passwords through blizzard, and whenever one works, score they steal everything.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 8:11:39 AM PST
pokritz says:
I remember getting hacked in BC...when Blizzard recovered my account they gave me stuff I never even had on top of a surplus of gold I never had either. Thanks Blizz!

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 8:16:21 AM PST
A friend of mine has his WoW account hacked.

He had to contact Blizzard, but they took care of him. Not only did they get his account back in like 15 minutes, the also gave him some in game items for his trouble.

I would recommend calling Blizzard as well.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 8:17:22 AM PST
Kasmatsu says:
You should get any online games their own email addresses. That way if you get emails on your main address you know they are fake. I get emails from "blizzard" all the time on my main email, but my battle net account has its own address. This is actually recommended by Blizzard.

Good luck, back in the day my WoW account got hacked a couple times. Haven't had any issues since authenticators. However I think I read at one point the mobile app ones were cracked for a bit. Could have been a problem if you didn't update the app.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 1:31:59 PM PST
Junkiiiii says:
I felt I should update. I was scared to call them because I started reading horror stories about Blizz's CS dept. As soon as they opened (1pm my time) I called. The wait was roughly 15 minutes and it couldn't have been a simpler process. The CS agent was very helpful. He could see that something fishy had gone down, asked me a few questions, gave me a few pointers and sent me on my merry way. My old WoW account is currently banned but tehy should be fixing it soon and I no longer play it. I was worried about D3 because I recently started playing again.

Glad everything went well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 1:35:45 PM PST
That sucks.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 1:38:35 PM PST
PC gaming is so great

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 1:41:11 PM PST
JJ4prez says:
"You didn't follow the link IN the email did you?!"

If OP did this - they put a keylogger on his PC for that specific .exe.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 1:46:19 PM PST
Junkiiiii says:
No. I accessed the emailed from my phone. Was no where near the PC. I'm still not near it. I'm at work. So the PC is fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 2:01:21 PM PST
I mean, it's not as super as the PS3 which has never had any security flaws, amirite?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 3:17:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2013 3:18:09 PM PST
I dont believe I ever received an email from China or a Nigerian because of PSN hack

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 3:30:00 PM PST
Geomancer says:
The Prince no longer responds to my e-mails. I'm starting to get worried about when I'll got my lottery money. I paid the taxes like they asked :S

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 4:24:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2013 4:27:36 PM PST
This kind of thing happens sometimes, but the key issue here is the lack of an authenticator. I've had buddies who'd get hacked mere days after they removed their authenticator. Make sure that you get one back online ASAP now that you have your account back up and running.

"I dont believe I ever received an email from China or a Nigerian because of PSN hack"

If someone obtained your email address then there is a possibility that you will. Information security is important on any platform. It's not a matter for the "Console Wars".

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 4:14:21 AM PST
To be honest, I think Blizz has an amazing CS department. People who write horror stories rarely tell the entire story.

I've had to contact Blizz multiple times for several different games, as have friends, and we've always had a good experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 4:21:24 AM PST
Cats Go Nyan says:
I have a horror story.

I was searching for one of the lost treasures in Pandaria. I spent hours trying to find it, and I finally came across it. The Ancient Pandaren Mining Pickaxe. With it, I would be able to farm tons of ore and get gems at the same time. When I clicked on it to loot it, it popped up, but didn't show up in my inventory.

I had to submit a ticket, which took them a whole hour and a half to respond to. They sent it to me through the mail system, but I had to go all the way back to town to get it.

They're horrible people.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 4:25:21 AM PST
Oh the horror!

Once my friend got hacked while I was in-game. I watched them unload everything from his characters one by one, then I realized our entire guild bank was empty (he was an officer). I contacted a GM and they locked his account since we both witnessed his character glitch-farming a mining node from under the map. My friend called them and (although it took two days), they reinstated his account to a prior save and provided both him and the guild with a few thousand gold. It more than covered the cost of the lost items and they compensated his 2-day wait with an extra week or two of sub time.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Feb 27, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions