Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Wii U CPU is a 'bottleneck,' Digital Foundry concludes

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 109 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:00:38 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:33:14 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:00:53 PM PST
AndrewA says:
That's too practical. Most people don't do that. They want the next system and they expect the next gen experience off the bat. Which is crazy because even now the 360 and ps3 are just starting to really get tested by developers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:53:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 11:18:26 PM PST
so, umm, yeah, its bad enough that a current gen (7th) has difficultly running a current gen (7th) game, but its much worst that a new 8th gen consoles is having more of a difficult time running these same 7th gen games. that's acceptable?

I will also like to note that I dont believe neither the X360 or PS3 have issues with running any previous gen (console) games.

Just saying ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 11:00:18 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 11:01:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 11:03:21 PM PST
no one is pulling these expectations out of thin air.

===========
Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime says third-party games have dramatically better graphics on the Wii U compared to PS3 and Xbox 360. Fils-Aime was bullish in response to an interviewer's assertion of the Wii U being on par with the competition, declaring his company's new console to be "much more graphically intensive."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=137X2LcF-wM

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 11:02:25 PM PST
really? because I can play PS2 games on my PS3 slim...just saying.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 11:07:10 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 11:09:12 PM PST
I sure can...in my 60 Fat PS3. but notice I said nothing about putting a PS2 disc in my PS3 slim. Interesting you would say that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 11:11:33 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
"BlOps2 doesn't work as well on the Wii-U as the 360"

A sad state of affairs for the first next gen console.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 11:13:19 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
I think its more younger gamers and people who don't play video games that often which are a little overwhelmed by the gamepad. That is a decent sized percentage of Nintendo's market.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:00:46 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:09:35 AM PST
So how is the Silent Hill Collection holding up on the 360?

@ RJMacReady

Well I've seen a few places, even mentioned it in the Digital Foundry article, which have brought it up and this made me scratch my head every time. If it is hard looking from the Gamepad in your lap to the screen then raise the stupid thing up instead of continuing to do exactly what you're complaining about.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:17:32 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:33:15 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:30:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 12:44:11 AM PST
First, Sony removed the capability to play pS2 disc based games and youre confusing it with it can't therefore its having issues/trouble. Lol. PS3 models have shown to be able to play PS2 disc based games in both hardware and emulation methods. so try again

Now the PS2 games on PSN are not complete rebuilds of PS2 games and repackaged as PS3 games..lol. They're the same built, they look and play the exact same way as the disc based games did/do..lmao. Sony developed a software emulation for PSP titles to be easily brought over to the Vita and can also be used for the PS3. In addition it also works for PS2 games.

Saying that the PS2 Classics are not PS2 but PS3 games is like saying PS1 classics are not PS1 games but PS3. I have never heard that argument. Lmao

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:38:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 12:39:26 AM PST
You must be referring to the HD rebuild of the classic that Konami totally messed up. What about it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 4:45:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 6:18:26 AM PST
Proves the point that developer talent is more important than console power. Right now I don't think there have been any games that really take advantage of the Wii-U in terms of hardware. If games still are 360/ps3 ish next year, then we have something to 'care' about. Until then, my honest suggestion is to relax. It isn't like Resistance and Kameo were mind blowing launch titles. Point being ACIII on the Wii-U is already looking much better than what the 360/ps3 launched with. Games tend to get much better looking as developers get used to the hardware, I suspect the Wii-U will easily be putting out better looking games than the 360/ps3 by mid 2013. Uncharted 3 blows Resistance 1 out of the water graphically speaking. Halo 4 destroys Kameo graphically speaking. The same will be true with the Wii-U. What we see right now isn't indicative of what the system can do. :)

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 4:47:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 4:48:00 AM PST
I always get a kick out of Mayo's anti-Wii U CPU articles since he was the one who stressed to me that a system's architecture was more important than the strength of the CPU.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 4:50:15 AM PST
HD Zelda, HD Mario, HD Metroid, HD Fire Emblem = me not caring about system specs. I don't know about ya'll but I play video games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 6:15:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 6:19:18 AM PST
Yeah, I agree. Software always has and always will trump hardware. If I wanted the best looking games I wouldn't have a Wii, 360 or ps3. I'd have a custom built PC. Personally the idea of Zelda is HD has me oozing at the mouth. I might actually take off work the day it is released. I liked your post, well stated. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 6:32:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 6:51:04 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Architecture plays its role when developers optimize around its strengths and weaknesses.

In the case of 360/PS3 Wii U ports, apparently the concessions required on the Wii U will require some dedicated white glove treatment, that is all. Perhaps not quite the ' super easy to port /cross develop' machine that Nintendo promised since the lack of cpu grunt does not match the current state of fully tapped out 360/PS3 this late in the cycle, so at this point most cpu intensive games will likely not be DEFINITIVE on the new console as expected of newer hardware. This bring into question what the Wii U's role will be in a development environment where even smartphones have Quad Cores and and PC's games are standardizing cpu usage on Quads/Hexs.

Its no PS3 PITA architecture, but i've never heard a complaint of the CPU power of teh C3LL either.

Its not just Digital Foundry pointing this out btw, we have heard it now from the DF, Metro devs (word 'horrible,slow' used) Dynasty Warriors devs, etc...so it is no 'anti-Wii U' propaganda, but something that is rather real, an impediment devs will have to work around.

Its difficult to say where the GPU could pick up the slack for the CPU in the processing department, being even that it is DX10.1 compatible, a non-DX11 gpu simply will be faster at DX9 that it will be at DX10 anyhow. Only DX11 cards exhibit lower performance at DX9, since its built around efficiency of DX11 pipelines.

From what i understand, developing in DX10 will not help the Wii U get better framerates or handle more AI over DX9, the improvements in the spec reside in things like deffered rendering, lighting, shadows, etc...so the promise for good visuals are still there, but depending on the game...visuals and performance remains a balancing act.

Without question as time goes devs will develop their tricks, but the launch lineup tells me perhaps Ninty was not keeping their dev kits up to final spec with enough headway for devs to get their builds on point.

None of this will have any bearance on exclusives, of course. The grounds for comparison and examination disappear.

Forget the Nitty gritty though, Treyarch is as much to blame in this for failing expectations they created....it was they that claimed that Black Ops 2 was running in Full HD on the Wii U, no?

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 6:51:29 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
Your Direct3d/DirectX talk on a non Miscrosoft platform needs to quit, it's completely irrelevant. All we have here is a 360 port that suffers from not being built around the architecture it ended up on.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 7:02:00 AM PST
P. Oyer says:
The only time I've seen any performance issues with the Wii U version of Black Ops 2 is when the network connection goes all wonky. That is the nature of the internet, not the system's inability to run the game.

FIFA is an obvious upgrade over current gen which EA attributes to the extra RAM. Next year when they've had a full cycle to make it feature complete it will be no contest.

Mass Effect 3 is jaw droppingly upgraded graphically. The port itself gets a bit wonky occasionally which I attribute to Straight Right not being exactly the best devs in the world. The reviews saying it matches the 360 version graphically are probably from people that haven't played the 360 version since march.

I'd also discredit the Metro devs opinions on the Wii U because I remember what Gabe Newell said about PS3 back when Valve wouldn't make their own Orange Box port for EA. Then a few years later there he is at E3 on stage at Sony's show praising the PS3 version of Portal 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:03:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 7:10:50 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Just going by things i see, here for example.

http://www.techspot.com/review/537-max-payne-3-performance/page6.html

How much dedication to the hardware do you see in a multiplatform environment? It took the PS3, what? 2-3 yrs to get parity as the install base grew.

It just wouldn't shock me to see more 'ports' , in the derogatory way we see the term....when development is being handed to outside teams, etc..

Hopefully good devs like Gearbox who have expressed excitement in working with it are able to deliver a more bespoke product.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:07:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 7:09:05 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
You are not going to see performance issues in Blops2 in MP, based on DF assesment. Which is great. If you think about it, there no AI and the magnitude of physics required than would be in a scripted campaign, the load on the cpu should be significantly less.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:10:13 AM PST
Does the U have 4vZv4?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  109
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions