Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

X COM is Awesome

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-42 of 42 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 7:18:32 AM PST
I'm hoping we get a new Advance Wars title soon because it has been far too long since Days of Ruin released.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:20:32 AM PST
Me too, though XCOM isn't really an RPG (I know you didn't necessarily say that...just that it's in the XCOM thread, so just don't want anyone to think that's what they're getting). But many of the games that combine TBS and RPG...like FFT/WotL...are some of my favorite games ever.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:38:47 AM PST
Dukeshire says:
I am still trying to get the mechanics down. Not quite sure, what weapon/soldier does what. Or if I should get more scientists or engineers or go with the cash. I try a variety of things, and help the countries who have the better rewards or if I like them best right now. For example, my oddity allows me to let Russia suffer a bit longer, because they are being d-bags in the real world.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:06:58 AM PST
Weapon wise you want to start working towards laser and plasma ASAP. I generally stick to two Heavy Weapons Experts, a sniper, medic, and two normal soldiers. Shotguns I don't care for because they are short range and I like to keep things at a distance. Armor is another big one you want to research right away because this will help you take blasts and not have your soldiers melt the moment they get touched.

I'd suggest doing the missions for the countries that have the highest terror status because when countries start dropping out of the X-Com project you're in for a world of hurt.

Also don't forget to research better aircraft because that is what ultimately screwed me. I couldn't bring anything down and just got steamrolled.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 12:30:55 PM PST
new Tron says:
I hated shotguns too and never used them, until I unlocked that Alloy Cannon closer towards the end of the game. Holy crap, what a monster of a gun.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 12:40:56 PM PST
I need to get to work on a new game since my other game is boned. Can't believe I forgot to research better aircraft and screwed the pooch hard on that one. Plus I stupidly sent three of my best soldiers to for Psy Testing and for some reason I don't have access to their gear anymore meaning half my squad is fully decked out and the other half has starting crap.

They are in the same base so why can't I get their equipment?! You can't tell me X-Com version of me, my cat, and by best friend are big enough jerks that we wouldn't sha... Never mind...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 12:52:25 PM PST
new Tron says:
They need Archangel Armor in the psi labs to stay warm. It's freezing in there without it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:02:11 PM PST
I didn't have the Archangel Armor yet (was in the process of researching it). I had all my guys decked out in the armor that looked like it came from Crysis lol.

Just sucked because the moment they went in for testing I got slammed by UFOs and not only could I not shoot them down but I didn't stand a chance when it came to ground combat.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:04:21 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
This is why I am such a pansy and I play on Easy....Well, usually I do play on Normal but seeing at it was from GF, I wanted to just have fun with it before returning it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:15:06 PM PST
I poorly managed my resources and stupidly didn't keep a save before I sent my guys off to training. If I had them back things would be different but sadly I can't tackle anything thrown at me which is what sank my game ultimately. I'm looking forward to starting a new game though and checking out stuff I didn't try the first time and seeing how I can improve upon my original setup.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 1:30:25 PM PST
A. taylor says:
I just hope they make more games like XCOM for consoles. I was really surprised by how much I liked it and wound up playing it from start to finish with no other games in between. I played it on normal and thought it was pretty easy.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 1:49:00 PM PST
R. J. Gutt says:
XCOM:EU = great game

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 1:51:51 PM PST
C.W. says:
Waiting for the BF sale on this one. Can't wait!! So excite!

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 5:52:44 PM PST
Mojie55 says:
Great game indeed. I am actually considering picking up a Vita to play this remote play. It is perfect for remote play.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 7:21:26 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Oh man. You can play this on the Vita? Shit, I sold my PS3. Time to reinvest.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 7:26:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 7:27:59 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
I agree with this. You really need better weapons ASAP, and armor is pretty important too. What I did was level up 2 heavy, 2 medics, 2 snipers, and 2 assaults to Colonel, so I can mix and match any arrangement I would need on a team. For tough missions I would take 2 medics to keep my guys alive with 6 available heals. If I knew I was going to be facing mechs I would take 2 heavies also for the extra rocket firepower, otherwise I would take 2 snipers because they are so deadly. I always had 1 assault equipped with a shotgun because sometimes using run and gun, and then shooting them in the face was just what is needed to finish off a tough alien. Later on I even equipped my shotgun assault with as stealth suit for extra sneaky face shooting.

Also your advice on the aircraft is good. Once you get the better interceptor with the best weapons they can take out anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 12:08:30 AM PST
Timski says:
The work-around for accessing soldier inventories that are in the psy-lab is through the view soldiers main menu. I got in the habit of unequiping all soldiers of their gear so that I could access all of my best items during the mission setup phase, since I was rotating various soldiers each mission. If i was in a rush I screwed the pooch by sending my soldiers out to a mission with only default items.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions