Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

I Do Not Like Physical Media

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 150 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 8:24:07 AM PST
Breeze says:
I did some research before ordering it, and it seems they had a booth at some expo (possibly E3, can't rememer) to gauge US interest in the title, but decided not to have a release here. It was available cheaper elsewhere at release and I think it is 6600 yen on the Japanese PSN, so I wouldn't spend much more than $80, and even then that's pretty pricey for a portable game. Most fun I had with my Vita and worth it to me, but can't recommend it to everyone at that price.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 9:59:56 AM PST
Solid Sponge says:
Is it hard to navigate the menus? I'm assuming it will take a bit of rial and error considering it's in Japanese, but for the most part, the game is good fun without too much hassle? I'm thinking of ordering it simply because owning a game that has no intentions of being released in the US sounds kind of cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 6:23:55 PM PST
Breeze says:
The main menu is easy enough to navigate due to the pictures, but the menus within the characters' rooms can be difficult to navigate and the edit feature is very difficult to use.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 7:21:00 PM PST
B. Hoover says:
Guess how many times I've destroyed a physical game.

Zero.

Physical > Digital

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 7:28:11 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
What do you have for carpet, Astroturf?

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 7:48:55 PM PST
1#Fetish says:
I have a feeling you're gonna come back in a month with "I just broke my sd card."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 7:54:13 PM PST
AndrewA says:
That's why I prefer physical media. I never get a real feeling of ownership with digital downloads.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 8:13:14 PM PST
A customer says:
Even if the disc got scratched by the carpet, it didn't affect the performance, right? Scratches have to go pretty deep to pierce the protective layer on modern discs. As for putting a Vita game through the wash... c'mon man.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:46:13 PM PST
Nicos says:
I hate people because our lord and saviour jesus christ was crucified by people.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:59:01 PM PST
I think you have bigger problems than damaged video games. Call up Empire and get your carpet replaced.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 11:15:14 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
Thanks for bringing all this into perspective Nicos.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 11:18:41 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 26, 2012 11:24:23 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 2:24:23 AM PST
Ah, but how many times have you dropped your DLC on the carpet?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 4:53:13 AM PST
Breeze says:
Other than what I've already mentioned, I haven't destroyed any games, but I have had a game destroyed (crushed during transport) by a friend who was borrowing it, misplaced a few portable titles, and had several games and a few movies stolen from me. With digital, there's no risk of any of that happening. What benefits of physical releases can compare to that for someone who isn't perfect and might not live in a perfect world?

As for the game that ended up going in with the wash, it seems to still be working fine. And for whoever was interested in it, the game is straightforward enough and contains enough English that I had no difficulty playing it despite not being able to understand any Japanese at all. There are cheaper PSP games in the series available in both physical and digital form, though only the digital will work with a Vita, and that requires using a Japanese PSN account. New to the Vita game is star notes that require you to rub the screen/rear touchpad (toggle to pick one or both from a menu) but have very loose timing that will only give good/excellent/miss ratings. Also, all the vocals in the game are digitally produced, and some of the songwriters either prefer chipmunk-like voices or can't figure out how to make the voices not sound like that, so there are a few songs that are quite annoying (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ggenHEJ8t8 is the worst offender, while http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiFi9hTQDVY uses the same vocaloid program while managing to avoid the chipmunk effect). One last thing to note: O is used for select and X for back, though all menus can be operated via touchscreen.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 5:36:41 AM PST
Yea, my biggest fear is that a gaming company or rather any company that deals with digital entertaiment hits a rough patch then has to let go of some of their assets by way of selling them off. Then the new company for whatever reason takes them off of servers and then it is gone from wherever I had it.

I dont really care about music so much, but if this happened to any of the gaming providers it would suck royaly. One thing that I do like about netflix is that they tell you when rights to certain shows expire. I get the feeling it will not be the same way if it ever happens with gaming.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 5:37:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 5:39:16 AM PST
It's a valid fear we all have. Though some of us just don't care as much. We accept the risk and just try to have fun. If there is anything the world ha shown me, it's that old games will come back. I mean look how many places you can buy the original Doom still. Xbox, PS3, PC in many different ways. The Wii has brought back a good deal of old 64 games, now adding GameCube games to it's roster on the Wii U. on top of that, PS1 games are on the PS3!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 5:41:21 AM PST
Solid Sponge says:
I like having physical media because I'm a bit of a collector. If I enjoy a game series I like to display all of my games/ collectibles from that game on a shelf somewhere. While your friends may not be able to borrow your digital content, I always feel like I don't actually own the item. I like having a few episodes of anime or a movie or two available digitally for conveniences sake, but I ultimately prefer owning the game's case, cartridge, and being able to have a physical memoir of my purchase as opposed to a icon on my home screen to represent my hard earned money.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 5:45:08 AM PST
I've gotten to the point where I ahte physical media, and if given a choice I will buy the game digitally, same with music. Movies are stillt he only thing I buy the DvD/blu-ray for. On the grounds that it's cheaper physically, and there isn't a service yet that lets me buy it on one thing and view it on all. Like I can't buy it on the PS3 and view it on my PC, and Xbox, etc...

Once that comes in, I'll change my mind. I have so mucnh physical movies and things that my bookshelf is overflowing and I don't want to have space for more movies!...

That said I just bought all 5 seasons of Big Bang Theory on Amazon cause of the 66% off sale for the physical items.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 6:31:38 AM PST
Breeze says:
Fair enough, and thank you for taking the time to type that out.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 6:41:51 AM PST
Breeze says:
Netflix is available on most things for a relatively low subscription price (I was able to watch shows in their entirety for less than it would cost to buy a season back when I subscribed to them), and then Amazon Instant Video is on more and more devices these days (including PC and PS3).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 6:59:13 AM PST
Netflix doesn't let me choose the DvDs I want to buy, I think netflix needs to combine it's DvD and Streaming service and get it over with. I Have Netflix, and I love it. But When it comes to new movies, I would like to buy... it doesn't have them on it's streaming service.

I have been looking at amazon instant video, and I do think I will be using that soon. Once it's cheaper. I wanted to buy Big Bang Theory on DvD since I don't have cable I haven't actually seen more than 1 or 2 episodes and it's isn't streaming ANYWHERE. So I went to amazon and looked at it on AIV... it was 30+ $ a season. I ended up getting the DvDs which were on sale for 15$ a season.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:01:40 AM PST
Chocolette says:
I tried a demo of this game in a Yodobashi. It made no sense whatsoever. Press, click, nothing. Meh.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:30:56 AM PST
B. Hoover says:
I'm not completely against digital purchases, but I prefer physical media because it provides me with a sense of ownership. If I want to sell my game, I can, which I usually do after I platinum a game.

Additionally, I like to buy used games since they are cheap. Sometimes, places like Gamestop have a B2G1 sale on used games. There is no digital equivalent to a used game market, nor will there likely ever be.

It would suck if my games were stolen, but that's why I tend to keep my collection in a relatively safe place. Overall, I'm just not comfortable with the idea that I don't really own the product. It's just something I downloaded and is stored on my device.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:36:12 AM PST
I know what you mean, i just don't know why "owning" something is so important. you only own a license of the game anyway. For me, as long as I can play it... I really don't care :3.

I find that 95% of the time, Digital is more convenient. Don't have to switch discs, don't have to drive places to pick up items, or wait for them to be delivered. And Companies are getting better at Day 1 downloads. And in some cases, it's cheaper. Don't have to pay tax, or it's just downright cheaper either way. Games on the Vita are cheaper than there Physical counterparts usually.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 7:49:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 7:52:47 AM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
Any media - whether it's music, movie, or video game, that is purchased, and exists as an actual physical thing held in your hand - will be valued that much more by you, the purchaser.

If you casually download something and it is merely another fraction of space on your hard drive, the value of owning that media is not nearly as much as having the cd/game/dvd in your possession.

If you seek something out, spend your money on it, then have it to own, indulge in and enjoy - that is you getting your monies worth and full enjoyment out of it.

Downloading music for free? When you can get a new album from a group just by a couple clicks - it is much easier to cast it aside as shitty or not very much to your liking because it was easy as hell to get it.

The days of committing to the purchase of an album and that album perhaps growing on you over time are dying a slow death. People download the song, if it doesn't float their boat right then - they categorize it in the "sucks" file and there it stays - maaaybe lucky to be "clicked on" again on some whim...I doubt it.

Single songs? Don't get me started - just downloading a song or two "because those are the ones I like" really magnifies that effect. An album is conceived, written, and recorded very much with a purpose. There is a flow, a progression - that the artist is conveying. That flow is thrown out the window with single songs being selected and downloaded. Now a lot of popular artists release in this format, singles and what not - and that is the sad truth of the death of the album lingering in the midst. Which is a crime.

So I always buy albums, movies, and games (I anxiously await GTAV). I have a huge collection, and value it very much. If it were some hard drive, or playlist - it would not mean nearly as much to me. Except the red I would see if those files were corrupted, or lost.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  150
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions