Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

I played my first MMORPG over the weekend - Guild Wars 2

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 115 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:12:28 AM PST
SMH says:
Ok...are you having fun playing a guardian? How is the server that VGF is on? Large population?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:15:04 AM PST
It's one of the most populated servers.

I have never once had a problem logging in once you're in there though.

Keep in mind that once you create a character on a server you're bound to that server. I'm not sure if they charge for transfers yet or not.

Guardian is a blast to play. You certainly have a lot of options in your builds and can either play as mage or melee.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:35:37 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
you were talking about getting a wintersday themed quaggan. how do you do it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:38:06 AM PST
You need to have 3 of the mini pets gained from mystery wintersday boxes (the gem ones) and combine those with 50 wads of stuffing.

Apparently it will not work with the 3 minis gained from the dungeons. Only the ones from the mystery boxes. I think there's some kind of flyer, a snowman, and something else.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:40:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 8:57:51 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
man that's a bummer. i don't have any of those yet that i know of. any idea which box (giant, small, medium, etc) gives you the best chance of getting one?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:46:41 AM PST
The Wintersday ship should be stopping at Hoelbrak today, right? I believe it was at Black Citadel yesterday so logically it would be at Hoelbrak. Haven't been able to do any Wintersday stuff yet.

btw, which server do you guys play in? I'm in the Darkhaven server.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:55:56 AM PST
SMH says:
Yeah I am ok with that. I don't have any RL friends playing this game so I just want to find a populated server, and you guys will be around as well so that's cool.

Thanks for the recommendation for guardian.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:57:25 AM PST
They cost 100 gems a piece or 800 gems for 10 boxes. The real money boxes are the only ones that drop the minis required to craft Foostivoo that we're aware of.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:58:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 8:59:22 AM PST
Stormbluff Isle

Yes, I think today is Hoelbrak. I'll be on this evening to run the dungeon once with my thief and then do the daily quests again as my mesmer. I'm trying to amass a wealth of karma pots before I use a booster and drink them all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:58:36 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
ohhhh. that sucks. oh well

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:00:41 AM PST
Yup. I dropped $10 on the store and didn't get anything good from the boxes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:20:29 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
$10 for 10 boxes approximately? and dude that's garbage. what did you get from the boxes instead?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:23:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 9:23:37 AM PST
Correct. I got some of the regular holiday items, some potions to change me into various winter critters, and 4 common dyes.

Not worth it at all in my opinion. I was hoping for *at least* one mini or something. I didn't get crap. Never doing that again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:28:02 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
i saw a pic of the quaggan and they look sweet. i could see spending $10 for it, but more than that is stupid. you would think at least 1 mini would be definite. well, there's another good reason why i never put real money into a MMO after the initial price

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:31:38 AM PST
J. Lee says:
Wow, I take a break and this thread exploded!

Capt- to answer your question on my Mesmer build:

I'm all +power +precision +crit% - I'm running a Greatsword/pistol+sword combo. The Greatsword does TONS of damage at a distance, I do anywhere from 600 - 1.6k per 3-shot burst. This, of course depending on what type and whom you're fighting.. could do more could do less. Needless to say I can burn down a Guardian decently quick, and kill elementalists (if I get a chance before they haul ass outta there) in 2-3 hits. Great thing about the GS is not only can you do damage, but you can repel them (5th skill slot) if they get too close. Coincidentaly (sp?), it produces clones at a quick pace if you so wanted a shatter build. From what I've seen, Mesmers generally stick to the greatsword.

The pistol + sword combo is great when you get close up fights - and to boot has stun ability (daze - 5th skill). This is EXTREMELY useful for me in wvw or spvp when someone is trying to run away from me and bam they're stunned, and dead.. the flurry skill also does tons of damage if you can land it (a la dazed).

Mesmer's are great nifty characters, we have survivability (blink, null field, clones, confusion) - we can dish out tons of damage, we have GREAT utilities, and even better condition damage if that's your build type... I love them!

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:33:56 AM PST
J. Lee says:
In response to another question out there to make their weapons glow - best bet is to use that Transmutation stone. Grab a weapon off the trading post that you like the look of. Keep in mind the weapon needs to be sub level 80 to use a regular transmutation, and 80 for a "Fine" transmutation. Then simply transfer over the "skin" of the weapon unto the weapon you currently have.

I've done this on my toon - grabbed a cool looking skin for my greatsword pistol and sword lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:00:02 AM PST
Yeah, I have three transmutation stones. I'm saving them for my armor. I'm only a level 20, but I'm starting to get some nice armor from karma merchants. I also got the Jotun Greatsword with that blue frosting effect. Now, to find a glowing hammer...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:01:52 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
usually you get those stones from fully clearing zones as well.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 10:14:40 AM PST
J. Lee says:
Correct you usually grab those stones from clearing zones. Yup, Karma Merchants give out some sweet weapons/armors/trinkets. I held unto some nice ones for a long time.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:55:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 5:56:39 AM PST
Played for around 3-4 hours last night with ZERO crashes! I even bumped up my CPU clock a little bit and it still runs beautifully.

I'm not sure if it was a combination of both, but what I did was remove the GPU overclock and also added a small case fan which blows directly towards the MOSFET. The one drawback my motherboard has is the lack of a heatsink on the MOSFET, this can sometimes lead to stability issues during intensive programs. Adding this fan as well as dusting everything off and cleaning the radiator has lowered my CPU temp by around 8-10c under load. After 3 straight hours playing GW2 the highest my CPU peaked at was 47c vs previous 55c at a lower clock.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:56:30 AM PST
Nice!

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:04:14 AM PST
Really liking this game so far though, which is sort of surprising for me.....I've only ever played one MMO before which I really didn't enjoy too much (Age of Conan). I expected a mindless grindfest combined with nice loot but this seems like much more.

The world looks amazing, the quests have been varied enough so far, and the story is very engaging.

Favorite quest so far is helping a lady fend off foes from her deceased lovers grave....It's a tower defense segment where you set out plants with different abilities and fend off waves of undead.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:07:14 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
i think i remember that one. Sylvari questline? i just made a sylvari so that one is pretty fresh in my mind

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:15:17 AM PST
The quests are exceptionally well done. You usually have 3-4 ways of gaining quest experience towards your goal, so it doesn't feel like a "kill 5 rats" grind.

Keep in mind you get gear and stuff for 100% completion of each area as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:15:32 AM PST
Yep.

Any info on where I can go to get a better bow?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  115
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions