Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

So a question about Persona 4...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 131 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:52:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 5:52:20 AM PST
Yes, that's the song.

But I liked the version from SO3! hearing it at 1/2 speed is wiiiiiiiierd.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:52:58 AM PST
Prior to the edit this post had an entirely different meaning ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:54:14 AM PST
Yeah... I caught that as quick as I could. that's what I get for not paying attention to my keyboard while typing!

Now let us never speak of it again

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:55:08 AM PST
I have no idea what you are talking about.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:56:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 5:58:32 AM PST
OP says:
A few differences between the 2 games that I can name off the top of my head:

P3 the gains for doing activities (Social Links, studying, tutoring, etc.) are constants, while P4 has some variance to gains
P3 separates physical attacks into Slash / Pierce / Blunt categories, while in P4 they're all lumped into just Physical
P3 enemies use up a turn recovering from being downed, while in P4 they don't (so, hitting a weak to ice enemy with Bufu in P3 will essentially result in them skipping a turn, while in P4 it doesn't)
P3 there is no option for manual control over teammates, while in P4 there is

I think in P3, a max social link run is doable even without fully optimizing time spent (I think it gave about 2 weeks free if you went for a perfect run), while P4 is a little harder because of the aforementioned variance of gains.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention that the card drawing after battle in P3 gives more options (other than persona gain) than the card drawing after battle in P4.
I think they may shuffled the persona lists slightly between the two games, so some are under different arcana in 4.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 5:59:25 AM PST
I have manual control over my team mates in P3P, dunno about the P3 on the PS2.

I'm glad to hear hitting them with their weakness doesn't skip their turn in P4, that's what's getting a little dull in p3. It's like well I ahve their weakness, they never get a turn.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:01:07 AM PST
OP says:
Ah, okay, I was referring to the PS2 version, so it's possible they made that change for the portable one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:06:06 AM PST
I always prefer having manual control if I'm allowed :3

Also, maybe I'm naive... but why couldn't they name the skills after the elements. It's a lot easier for me to remember what element a skill called "Ice" or "Frost" or "Blizzard" is... then Bufu, Dia, ... can't even remember the others.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 6:06:58 AM PST
OP says:
Forgot to mention: this fits in with the difference in categorizing physical attacks in the two games, but your main character can use all of the various classes of weapons in P3, whereas he's purely a (two-handed, I think) sword user in P4.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:09:15 AM PST
I can use more than swords? Didn't seem like I could in P3

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:14:26 AM PST
OP says:
Well, you might not have enough weapons to do so yet. But it's useful if you want to cover for an attack type, and it's nice to see the various critical animations (other than bow, which is always lame).

One other thing: there's no condition factor in P4 if I recall, so you can go enter the alternate world whenever you feel like, whereas in P3, you really want to avoid going into the alternate world if the majority of the team is in bad condition (I guess this was meant to be similar to the notion of form in soccer).

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 6:16:22 AM PST
"Well, you might not have enough weapons to do so yet. But it's useful if you want to cover for an attack type, and it's nice to see the various critical animations (other than bow, which is always lame)."

Soon as I get another character, that bow user is out.

Right now I have been playing so much of Paper Mario Sticker Star, that i REALLY need to stop hitting the X button to try and get a timed hit when attacking in persona. It doesn't do anything! Why does it not do anything!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:06:07 AM PST
OP says:
Well, the personas of the other characters can upgrade to a more advanced version, but that's about it. The main character being able to use persona of any arcana fits with their description of the Fool as having infinite potential (or so I recall).

For what it's worth, I pretty much stopped the game the first time I heard the combat music, as I found I couldn't take it seriously. But I think it grows on you after a while.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:08:45 AM PST
It would be fine... without lyrics. Music will never make me stop playing a game as I can always mute the game at the very least and listen to my own music.

It's not SO bad that I am muting it yet, but... we shall see.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:09:31 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
You don't listen to music with lyrics?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:14:35 AM PST
I do, in fact I know the lyrics to well over 2000 songs. However, I don't like it as background music in video games. I don't know why. There are a few very rare instances where I don't mind it as much, but I think that has only happened in 3 games. Disgaea 4, FFXIII, and FFXIII-2. And none of them were the battle music :p

Plus... a lot of Persona's music has a rap-like feel to it. And that's my least fav genre of music.

Again! All subjective, I'm not saying it's bad. just that I don't enjoy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:16:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 7:17:41 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
What are you a robot? Do we have to kill you to save the planet from robot domination?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:16:36 AM PST
How does anything in that post make me a robot :p

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:17:28 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
"in fact I know the lyrics to well over 2000 songs."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:18:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 7:19:02 AM PST
is that unussual?

I have a knack for remembering song lyrics. Maybe not on the spot, but the second the song comes up on my PC i just... remember the lyrics to it. and a good 100 or so aren't even in english

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:28:25 AM PST
OP says:
Slightly off-topic: I haven't tried the 3rd Ar Tonelico, but I thought the music (vocal and instrumental) in the first two was really solid.

For me, Persona's music seems to fit with the general feel of the series; I don't know how to classify it, but it doesn't really feel like rap to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:30:24 AM PST
it's not quite rap... it just get's close to it. It's more hip-hop i suppose, also not one of the genres I enjoy. I agree it fits the game though, I'm not denying that

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:31:01 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Pop/J-Pop works pretty well I think.

And I agree, I love the music in the persona games, though I did occasionally mute it for my own during some long Tartarus grind sessions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:33:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 7:48:47 AM PST
Well i do that for most games if I'm ever grinding.

EDIT: Funny though... sometimes i put on other video game soundtracks... The Y's 7 Soundtrack has some of the best music... ever.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:48:23 AM PST
Midboss says:
The music definitely seemed strange to me at first too. By the end of the game though, I ended up loving it.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  131
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions