Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Vita gets a price cut!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2012 3:55:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 3:55:40 PM PST
199€ in Spain. http://www.vandal.net/noticia/1350631245/psvita-baja-de-precio-en-espana-durante-un-mes/

Other European countries too. One month only.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 4:01:12 PM PST
saskamazon says:
hmm ... wonder if that will become global - get holiday sales flying off the shelves .... that GS Liberation / Vita bundle on BF looks amazing ... wonder if we'll copy the sale here ...

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 4:02:43 PM PST
1#Pen Name says:
I don't have any euros.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 4:54:27 PM PST
jnjmcc says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:05:52 PM PST
Facelord says:
Yeah, it's funny to think that gamers would be smart enough to buy up the greatest handheld gaming hardware on the market at an even better price than it's normally offered at. Really hilarious.

Why do gamers support mediocrity so proudly and ignore such wonderful products? It's stunning.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:07:49 PM PST
Because hardware doesn't matter?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:14:45 PM PST
" Yeah, it's funny to think that gamers would be smart enough to buy up the greatest handheld gaming hardware on the market at an even better price than it's normally offered at."

They are bringing back the Gizmondo?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:14:56 PM PST
I. Flores says:
Of corse it matters. Your comment "hardware doesn't matter" makes as much sense as "hardware is the only thing that matters"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:21:15 PM PST
Soulshine says:
Yes that gamestop bundle is temping and I think it said double credit on console trade ins that day. If they can give me something decent on a broken Xbox I'd consider getting that for $200.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:59:20 PM PST
saskamazon says:
if you look at the $200 buy in price - $40 for the game, $20 for the 4 gb card - that means the price of the Vita itself is now $140 - in contrast to the $250 with nothing else ... add to that the PS + Perks launching next week, offering new Vita owners 6 games out of the box, & this could be a great Christmas gift ... that's a fair bit less than even the 3DS XL ... so suddenly it's a much better bargain ...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:02:21 PM PST
Horowitz says:
I just got a Gizmondo and Game.com. Not sure why exactly, but I guess I needed them to sit alongside the Ngage.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:12:16 PM PST
But do you have a Pandora?

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 10:12:32 PM PST
dwharty says:
yeahhhh the 200 dollar price point is throwing me a curve ball. If that happens in the US I may be deciding between a 3DS, Vita or WiiU (whenever I am lucky enough to find one)

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 10:18:52 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
I don't understand why Sony won't just do a permanent global price cut on the Vita. They are waiting, thinking that sales are going to start really taking off at some point soon, and it just isn't happening. If they lower that sucker by $50 or more and sales will really take off, and stay good instead of just a holiday bump. They don't need to look far to see how well it worked for Nintendo. Oh well maybe next year they'll figure it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:22:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 10:26:53 PM PST
I. Flores says:
It was an easier decision for Nintendo because they had a huge markup from cost with the 3DS.
Sony is selling the Vita at a loss, or breaking even at best.

Quite different scenarios.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:27:37 PM PST
The 3G Vita is said to cost $159.10 in parts. That's about a $140 markup, not much different than the launch 3DS cost.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:28:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 10:29:55 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
It's not really. Sales are more important. You need the unit in as many hands as possible so you can sell more software, and thus get more money from licensing, get more developers on board to make more games, and thus sell even more units because there are more games to lure customers in. The real money in gaming is in the software, not the hardware. If you need to take a loss on the hardware to get more from software, it's worth it.

It's a pretty bad situation for Sony. The Vita has been out for 11 months and it's only sold around 3 million units. The 3DS has been out for 21 months and it's sold 22 million units. That's a rate per month that's nearly quadruple the Vita, plus they make way more from all the game sales. If Sony persists in being stubborn about this it's only going to hurt them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:30:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 10:31:24 PM PST
I. Flores says:
if only the cost of making electronics was only comprised of "parts"
Screw the R&D people, advertising, logistics, and so on so forth.
All that stuff is free, anyway. /sarcasm

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:34:27 PM PST
Nintendo had to do the same with the 3DS. I'm not seeing the huge difference here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:36:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 10:36:40 PM PST
I. Flores says:
Before Nintendo did the price cut, they were making a killing with every 3DS sold. Even now, they're selling it at a slim profit.
Sony is losing money with every Vita sold even BEFORE a hypotetical price cut.

Big difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:39:59 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
So essentially Sony is not very intelligent to be selling something at a loss. That is there problem....So then they tack on obscenely overpriced memory cards that gouge customers in order to make up the difference. Amazon pretty much sells the Kindle Fire at a loss but they hook you into purchasing their products such as books and movies and music and games etc.....Sony needs to do a better job, get more games for Vita and more downloadable content. Get people to want to purchase a Vita and that is how you can make up for that loss. As of right now Sony is not very intelligent nor very competent.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:42:50 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
Good point. Nintendo had a lot of R&D, advertising, and distribution costs too. They also suffered from bad sales at first because the 3DS was overpriced for what the market is willing to pay for a handheld gaming device. They adapted and did so quickly. It served them well to do so. I'm not sure why Sony refuses do the same.

It's looking like inability or unwillingness to adapt is a company wide problem at Sony as their finances have been showing in recent years. It seem like an attitude of "we do things our way because that's the way things are done at Sony, and the hell with the consequences."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:44:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 10:45:57 PM PST
I. Flores says:
Here's the article you possibly pulled those numbers from:

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/how-much-does-the-playstation-vita-cost-to-make/

And they support my comments:

>>That cost doesn't include the R&D, software development, shipping or marketing and advertising - so it's unlikely Sony's making huge profits off the thing, if any at all. In all likelihood, they're still making a loss<<
-----------------
>>not much different than the launch 3DS cost.<<

According to Eurogamer, the difference is quite big:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-20-is-the-playstation-vita-worth-230

Materials for Vita: $159
Materials for 3DS: $101

MSRP at launch for both was $250.00

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:48:07 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
You are ignoring the point I made about how software is where the real money is. It's very simple. If Sony persists on this attitude about pricing on the Vita, it's never going to be a success. Developers aren't going to want to waste money developing for a system that is not in the hands of very many gamers because their potential sales will be too low to justify development costs. If there continue to be a lack of games available for the Vita, sales will never pick up. It's a vicious circle that can only be broken by taking some initiative and doing a decent price cut in order to make the Vita attractive to more customers, even if it means taking a temporary loss per unit. The increased licensing and software sales will make up for that loss.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 10:50:56 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
I am not good at math: The Vita costs 150 to produce, R and D is a sunk cost etc, so it really has no bearing after the device is released. Also, parts get cheaper over time....Also, you have to purchase a memory card that is jacked up in price by untold amounts, so how again is Sony selling the Vita at a loss like Flores claimed?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What is gamergate, and what is going on with gaming journalism? 20 6 minutes ago
Consoles are dying confirmed 271 16 minutes ago
Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition thread 805 19 minutes ago
OT: What is it with this new Facebook epidemic... 29 20 minutes ago
sunset overdrive is silly, stylish, and incredibly smart 63 27 minutes ago
dis one time i farted rly loud and scared my cat... den my cat bite me and i bleed onto my favorite pillow 439 30 minutes ago
PS4 vs. Xbox One -- An unbiased look at which games are currently available on each console 453 30 minutes ago
Destiny PS4 VGF Clan 407 32 minutes ago
D4 11 33 minutes ago
Favorite and Least Favorite Characters/Enemy Designs 19 35 minutes ago
Forza Horizon 2 demo 43 42 minutes ago
Zoe Quinn: 5 Things I Learned as the Internet's Most Hated Person (Also, it's a Cracked Article!) 281 52 minutes ago

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions