Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 55 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 7, 2013 5:55:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 6:00:55 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
From IGN,
Eiji Aonuma: Zelda Series Sticking with Motion Controls

-----------------
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword brought several new tricks to the Zelda table, improving and expanding upon the franchise's tried and true formula in many subtle and not-so-subtle ways. One of the more prominent additions was the masterful integration of motion controls, finally allowing players to seamlessly control Link's blade with true 1 to 1 precision.

In fact, after spending some quality time with Link's latest, many gamers - IGN's Nintendo team included - couldn't imagine going back to traditional controls, a sentiment we would have considered borderline blasphemous prior to playing Skyward. It seemed hard to fathom ever losing the freedom of wielding our sword however we pleased, and the strategy of having to land blows in just the right spot.

Apparently Zelda's producer, Eiji Aonuma, couldn't agree more. According to Official Nintendo Magazine, even though Aonuma considered doing away with motion controls during Skyward's development, he now concedes that it would be hard to go back to standard button controls. When asked what this means for future Zelda titles, he responded, "I honestly think we cannot go back to button controls now, so I think that these controls will be used in future Zelda titles, too."
---------------------

This, and considering the fact that he didn't even finish the initial Zelda games (okay for us, unprofessional for a guy with his responsibility), makes me feel sad about Zelda losing control options.

So yeah, don't get your hopes up for the new HD Zelda, it will probably still ONLY use the MotionPlus...

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 5:59:02 AM PST
klopas says:
I'd still rather press buttons than flail my arms around. Ah well.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 6:00:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 6:01:17 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Frankly I thought Skyward Sword controlled terribly and I wish they WOULD go back to buttons. The game was unplayable for me, and this is coming from a guy who has made an effort to play through all of the console iterations of the series, even in cases where he didn't particularly care for them.

Also, defs not 1:1 motion control.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 6:05:38 AM PST
I think it was you that made an excellent point re: Skyward Sword motion controls. You said now that the motion control was 1:1, you found yourself flailing around more than ever in a Wii game. I found the same to be true.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 6:07:47 AM PST
Ice King says:
What was fun about waving your arm around to attack? I was hoping the next Zelda game would use the tablet controller in some cool ways, but I don't want to have to put it down every time I want to fight so I can wiggle my arms a little.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 6:13:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 6:13:58 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
I partially blame this on Aonuma, he strikes me as the most unprofessional ''professional'' ever, working behind Miyamoto's shadow without taking the lead once.

Quoting a gigantic blogger post from 2011:
''I wasn't involved with Ocarina of Time from the initial stages of development, but rather from the point at which the planning framework had already been finalized and work was beginning on building onto that framework. Aonuma had nothing to do with the planning of the game or the framework.

I became responsible for dungeon design and the design of enemy creatures in the dungeons. Of course, I felt it was strange that I, who was so terrible at fighting creatures in the original Zelda and decided that Zelda wasn't the game for me, ended up working on enemy design. But, the type of gameplay used in enemy battles becomes an extremely important mechanic in Ocarina of Time, so there was really no way for me to escape it.

This is strange. So why did it occur? Why is Aonuma anywhere near Zelda in the first place? It would be like someone who hates Metroid to be put in charge of a Metroid game's development.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 6:13:34 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
I'm a little worried the next Zelda title is going to take its cue from the DS titles. I didn't care for the gameplay in that one either.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 6:15:07 AM PST
Cinema Fan says:
LOL. Let the Wii U regrets begin.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 6:16:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 6:19:14 AM PST
Lucanus says:
*shrugs*

I thought Skyward controlled perfectly and was the best Zelda ever created. I am glad they are keeping motion controls. On a side note, flailing your arms about doesn't work in the game. It requires smooth and accurate motion. Either way, some love it and some hate it. To each their own, I do sympathize with those who didn't get into Skyward. I would hate to lose interest in the Zelda series, though I never had a problem with motion controls from day 1 unlike many core gamers. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 6:27:10 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Shouldn't it not be a problem like, at all? We have used traditional controllers for decades, and with damn good reason.
Ocarina of Time 3D has sold almost 3m copies to date, getting closer to SS every month. Nintendo needs to wake up and stop forcing MotionPlus into people's throats.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 6:33:38 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Sales of Skyward could be low for a variety of reasons, including the Wii being pretty much dead when it released, not too mention it required extra hardware. Or maybe people really just hate motion controls that much. Truthfully I don't care. I am odd, call me crazy but I love motion controls and standard controls. I for one am glad to have variety in my gaming. When I want standard controls I go with MS/Sony, when I want motion I go with Nintendo. I like having a choice. I think it would be far worse for Nintendo to be standard and have no variety in choice. Though I am an easy going gamer and pretty much find value in many different arenas. Overall I get it is cool to hate Nintendo now that they are kiddy/casual. To each their own. At the end of the day SS sold millions and is highly rated, given the major success I am not surprised Nintendo wants to follow it up properly. More importantly I can't personally wait to play it. I reviewed SS on Amazon fairly, I stand by it. Other than that I am not here to convince people to give SS a fair shake. Everybody is different and to each their own. Have a great day GateKeeper. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 6:37:00 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Alright man, but I'm definitely not hating on Nintendo because of their gaming approach. I'm just concerned about a perfectly fine series, which I utterly love, taking a very risky direction. Have a nice day too :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 6:42:40 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
I gave the game a fair shake. Gave it two separate play attempts, once through the end of the first dungeon, and once going clear through the "Earth" temple which was really a fire dungeon. I really -really- wanted to like the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 6:52:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 6:53:08 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Makes sense, like I stated in my review when the game was first released, it is Zelda with motion controls. Those who don't like motion controls aren't going to like the game. Those who do like motion controls are going to love it. Truthfully I do see it as that black and white. Not everybody has to enjoy motion controls just because I do. I can easily see why people didn't like SS. For me, I can't wait for another motion control Zelda, though as mentioned earlier I like motion controls. I also like standard controls too. I am not very picky with gaming and simply look for variety. Some dislike Nintendo for being different others love them more because of it. I am certainly in the latter group. The Wii, IMHO is better than the GC and N64. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 6:54:11 AM PST
So I guess Twilight Princess really is my last Zelda game.

Sad face.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 6:56:05 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
I actually really enjoyed the motion controls in Twilight Princess. In the rant Nate cited above I actually stated that I liked the TP controls better than SS. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 7:09:58 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
We are all sad and concerned ...

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 7:11:28 AM PST
Gameresq says:
Nintendo, how about giving players a choice between button and motion controls?

I loved Skyward Sword, but Twilight Princess, Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time 3D were all better games (in my opinion).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 7:22:42 AM PST
Ice King says:
I think I read somewhere that allowing both types of controls is much harder than just putting a control option in the menu.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 7:28:07 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
I would believe that. It would alter the underlying architecture of the game. They added many functions with the motion controls that just could not be otherwise emulated with a standard controller.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 7:37:13 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Yeah, that is my thought as well. On a side note I really want Nintendo remake Wind Waker in HD using the tablet controller. It would function really well with sea charts, treasure charts, etc. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 7:51:53 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
That was my favorite Zelda. I think I would die of an overdose on joy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 7:55:48 AM PST
Lucanus says:
spoiler*

It is also one of my favorites. Maybe they will just make a straight sequel? I am so annoyed because at the end of Wind Waker Link & Tetra are suppose to set out to find their own land and leave Hyrule behind under the sea. It is begging for a sequel. I just finished WW again a few weeks ago, I love that game. A true sequel would have me thrilled. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 8:02:41 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are direct sequels, aren't they?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 8:07:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 8:07:38 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
It did get a sequel, though. Phantom Hourglass was a direct sequel taking place between that specific Link and Tetra while they were exploring the sea. Spirit Tracks is the Hyrule that they founded several generations later.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  55
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions