Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Xbox 720 exclusivity agreement has just been made with Electronic Arts

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 28, 2013 6:39:08 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox-720-exclusivity-agreement-has-just-been-made-with-electronic-arts

Although Microsoft has yet to officially reveal the Xbox 720, it seems that EA has reportedly signed an agreement than confirms an exclusive deal with Microsoft's next generation console. According to an article that was published by CVG yesterday, Electronic Arts has apparently signed "a key exclusivity agreement" for the Xbox 720.

According to various sources, it is stated that an official announcement of this exclusive content will be brought to light at the speculated Xbox 720 unveiling in April. It is insisted that this exclusivity agreement is based around exclusive DLC or a timed exclusive title.

With this information released, speculation has arisen that this exclusive deal may be related to "Battlefield 4" or Respawn Entertainment's upcoming title. EA has already stated that they will be showcasing "Battlefield 4" in the near future, while Respawn Entertainment has stated that they will be making an appearance at this year's E3 and that they will not be empty handed.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 6:41:08 PM PST
AJF says:
No used games on the 720 thats why, EA will be sure to push that console hard.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 6:42:35 PM PST
If they do ban used games and rentals, they can take every EA game and every next Xbox console and bury 'em next to the E.T. cartridges.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 8:05:01 PM PST
Hasn't it already been announced in some capacity that Battlefield 4 looks fantastic on the PS4 or am I thinking of something else?

Timed and/or exclusive forms of DLC were not unheard of last generation so I'm not surprised EA would go for it this coming one. If the same is done for games I can't imagine a company as big as EA would agree to anything on a permanent basis or even more than 1-3 months at a maximum.

I will be extremely surprised if the deal is anything so extreme but if it is? Well it's not like I absolutely love anything that EA comes out with.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 8:19:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 8:20:17 PM PST
K Archer says:
If it is they've lost me as a customer. EA already has some business practices I don't agree with, and this sort of thing can put it over the edge. Used games only if I really want to play one (which is pretty much just DA3...)

EDIT: I don't mean just one month of exclusivity, maybe even two, or if it just applies to Battlefield (why 4 and not Bad Company 3? Seriously, bad move EA...)...long-term or "real" exclusivity would be a deal breaker

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 8:21:04 PM PST
Well, potentially this is just a timed exclusivity or a timed-exclusivity on DLC thing. It would cost MS a huge amount of money to get EA to agree not to put their games on other platforms.

At the very least, you will still be able to buy a PC version of Dragon Age 3, and probably most other EA games.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 8:24:39 PM PST
Yung says:
Timed exclusive DLC & micro-transactions are bs...f u e a...if this is true...if not, can't wait to buy BF4 lol

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 8:26:35 PM PST
K Archer says:
Yeah, but I don't have the money to spend on a new PC right now, and don't see any really in the foreseeable future. And DA3 will require a lot more than my poor laptop can handle, that's for sure. Also, I won't be able to get a PC version used...I know I can for PS4, so there's that...

But...PC may be (OK, I think probably will be) forced into the same constraints as the PS4...delay of a few months, late DLC, lesser performance (maybe the exclusivity is to make EA's lead platform the X-Box rather than PC...)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 8:29:50 PM PST
Thank you MS for solidifying the fact that I won't buy the 720.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 8:33:21 PM PST
If EA signed into a deal to have their games preform worse on other systems when it can run just as well on them that would be completely ridiculous. I would swear off the company for good if that happened.

If EA signs up for a permanent exclusivity deal with Microsoft then I either wouldn't buy the games or wouldn't for a long while. I will probably go into next generation only buying one system until the other drops in price considerably. At the moment the PS4 is getting my money.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 8:37:40 PM PST
Building a PC that will run Dragon Age 3 won't cost substantially more than the cost of a PS4 (assuming you've got a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and copy of Windows lying around).

But really, I can't see this being a "real exclusivity" thing anyway. Since even if [specific game] would only sell 1m copies on the PS4, with standard publisher margin that would be about $27m in EA's coffers. A game like Battlefield 3 sold like 6m copies on the PS3, do you think MS is really going to give EA over a hundred million dollars just to ensure Battlefield 4 isn't available on the PS4? That's not a good deal for either MS or EA.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 12:42:49 AM PST
Zak Iarih says:
A match made in heaven... Or maybe hell

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 3:55:27 AM PST
Gameresq says:
Even if true, this would not justify a 720 purchase, in light of the "no used games" policy. I can do without EA games.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 5:33:12 AM PST
"(why 4 and not Bad Company 3? Seriously, bad move EA...)"

People seriously just need to stop saying this. Everyone needs to get it through their head that BF is their new baby. Why on all the money they have spent on advertisement, getting so many people to convert to BF from CoD series, then come out with a BC game? That just sounds moronic for EA to push that. BF4 is where the money is, not BC3.

Jesus (plus BF3 MP was 10x better than BC2 was, no one cares about story lines in FPS MP games. Even though the story in BC1/2 were outstanding and fun. The money is in the MP nowadays[premium])

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 5:33:29 AM PST
Plus, I see this for Dragon Age 3 - not BF4.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 5:40:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 5:41:05 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
It's just for one or two games? Games that I won't play anyway? Care meter -23182382

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 5:43:47 AM PST
Docgreedo says:
Relax everyone - it's just to be able to buy FIFA DLC using other peoples consoles and money.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 5:55:47 AM PST
I am totally okay with waiting a couple of months to be able to play BioWare games on the best platform to play BioWare games on.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 5:56:40 AM PST
I don't think anyone here believed you were going to buy one.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 5:57:55 AM PST
The 720 has a no-used games policy?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 6:01:17 AM PST
"If EA signed into a deal to have their games preform worse on other systems when it can run just as well on them that would be completely ridiculous."

Huh? Companies don't intentionally make games run poorly on certain platforms.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 6:07:33 AM PST
JWK says:
I don't get why this makes EA such a terrible corporation. It's a simple business decision for them; if MS threw enough money at them to make it worthwhile, why not? Same with Microsoft; if they can sell more consoles by having timed exclusives, that doesn't make them evil.

But this also means next to nothing for me. I'm incredibly patient when it comes to games. I usually wait until most games are in the $20 range before I bite, so having a timed exclusive doesn't really make the incentive to buy a 720 greater. If they had fully exclusive games... that's different. I've also never bought DLC that wasn't part of a retail GOTY or Complete edition of a game.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 6:09:34 AM PST
Peoples reaction to the rumors are hilarious. This whole thread is hilarious. "EA signed an exclusivity deal? NO WAY I'M BUYING THEIR GAMES!" Why? I thought exclusives were always the best games? Which way do you want it? Just sounds like fanboy sour grapes.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 6:11:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 6:12:54 AM PST
Are you talking about the original xbox?
Cause Kotor and jade empire are still exclusive to that console.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 6:14:06 AM PST
Lucanus says:
So rumors have been going around the 720 blocks all used games. EA signs exclusive deals with them....... yeah, that makes sense. I believe the rumor is confirmed, at least all most.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Feb 28, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions