Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

What are your thoughts on the whole "no used games" stance publishers are taking?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 205 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 11, 2013 6:10:07 PM PST
I think it's stupid. I always by games used, because either the game can't be found, and it's cheaper than new copies.

In fact, here is my reaction to EA blocking used sales to DS3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5mLjKI968g

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 6:11:45 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
I think it's stupid too. The new xbox is very unappealing so far, and I hate gamestop too. I miss the days when I could go to hollywood video to rent games. I wonder what will happen to gamefly if this happens.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 6:13:50 PM PST
Horowitz says:
It's terrible. I like to have the entirety of a game on a disc.

By the way, publishers must not know about Gamefly. Used games with with all original DLC in the case. :) Take that, publishers!

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 6:13:58 PM PST
R. Typo says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 6:14:32 PM PST
It seems like I won't be buying 720 or PS4, I think the Wii-U is going to beat Sony and MS.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 6:16:58 PM PST
waxc3 says:
If it's only "no used games" I don't mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 6:17:42 PM PST
Horowitz says:
Nintendo would be very happy if these rumors turned out to be true.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 6:21:30 PM PST
AndrewA says:
Price your games reasonably and don't keep them at high prices for so long and you won't have to worry about used games.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 6:22:06 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
It's actually turrible. :)

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 6:23:31 PM PST
My gaming habits would not change all that much, honestly.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 6:24:44 PM PST
$10 max for games

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 6:28:42 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
I buy a lot of used games, but not a lot of newer used games. Mostly, I buy used games I missed in years past. So, probably wont change much for me either. Still, I think it'll end up poorly for the developers. I cant see how this will drive console game sales. Seems like the opposite will occur.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 6:37:11 PM PST
Zero says:
I feel it takes away our rights to do what we want with our games as we please, such as letting a friend borrow it, or buying a used copy. The only way I think it would be fair is if it was digital so the games would not become rare to find in a few years after being released, with price cuts after a while. Even then, I prefer hard copies over digital, because when I have a physical copy, it feels like I actually own the game, and I can bring it to a friend's house to play. If every company starts doing this, then I am done. I'm not going to pay for a game that I can't do with as I please.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 6:40:58 PM PST
C.W. says:
Have you purchased a game recently? If so, then you are doing exactly that--paying for a game that, technically, you can't do with as you please. I'm definitely not on the side of Microsoft and Sony if they adapt this policy, however, you technically don't own the software you buy from them, so...they can legally set up any restrictions they want. It's easy to forget that most software purchased comes with a legally binding agreement that excludes you from doing whatever you want with it.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 6:45:32 PM PST
while every publisher is fighting against used game sales, online passes... Activision/Blizzard is alone counting his money and counting and more of it

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 6:53:45 PM PST
Zero says:
Perphaps I should rephrase that. I know that you can't do absolutely everything with a copy of a game that you get, but taking away the ability to play the game on other consoles is going too far. Other forms of media don't do this, I just feel that video games should not be any different in that aspect. I know I don't technically have the right to buy a used game or play a game on a different console if they don't want me to, its just that taking away the ability to do that is just...not right.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 7:02:26 PM PST
The thing is, I doubt this would affect sales in any meaningful way.

Do you know who's gonna stop buying games to stick it to the publishers? A tiny subset of upset and vocal "core" gamers. You know who's gonna just buy games like they already do? People who don't spend their time on video game forums, who aren't so heavily invested in the hobby that they read gaming sites and pass time by talking about games.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 7:07:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2013 7:08:04 PM PST
C.W. says:
Yeah, I agree. It's the same as a movie. I can take that over and watch it at a friend's house, right? Why not a game? They are really going to shoot themselves in the foot if they make this happen on next-gen consoles. It won't affect me much, personally, but I know a lot of people who it will (and who will choose to move to PC or just stay with the 360/PS3 and wait as long as possible to move to next-gen).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 7:07:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2013 7:08:30 PM PST
C.W. says:
Very good point. I do think it will have an impact, but I'm sure not nearly as big of one as folks are making it out to be.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 7:11:41 PM PST
The backlash and outcry will be huge, and then they'll most likely realize this model isn't accepted by most gamers. Will they force us to adopt this model? Most likely. Do we have to buy into it? No, not at all. And I have many, many games that will keep me going for quite sometime, so the new generation isn't that big of a deal as I would most likely wait until 2015-2016 to even think about jumping on board.

That said, I do already buy most of my games new, so I'm not sure how much it would actually affect me..

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 7:11:47 PM PST
Gameresq says:
It would definitely change my game purchase behavior. If I cannot buy a game, play it, and then sell it if I do not enjoy it, I will not buy nearly as many games.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 7:12:49 PM PST
R. Typo says:
This is the perfect opportunity for game companies to grab control of the wild west games market and keep the value of their games high. At first, there will be backlash, and a great storm of tears, some of the nerdiest gamers will not make it through, but their loss will be completely in vain. But, eventually things will calm and it will be just ''how it is.''

People can say they won't buy, but if you're into games enough that your chatting about them on internet forums, then as soon as your game drug of choice comes out, the next-gen COD, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, etc, you're going to buckle at the knees and bow to your terrible, evil, capitalistic vidya game overlords.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 7:15:27 PM PST
R. J. Gutt says:
I want used games. They don't make enough copies of the less popular titles as it is. Price gouging is going to suck big time. No used games will mean less sales overall since prices will be too high for most people.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 7:18:21 PM PST
Pricing is why I almost never buy games used (sans Christmas).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 7:20:10 PM PST
Gameresq says:
Yes, the big name games will still sell fine. The question is: will gamers take a $60 risk on a game they know little about when they cannot resell it if it is subpar?

I, for one, would still buy Mario, Zelda and Fire Emblem games. But I probably would not take a $60 chance on Dishonored or Zombi U or any other brand new IP.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  68
Total posts:  205
Initial post:  Feb 11, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions