Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Wow, they locked a TON of stuff for free players in TOR

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 69 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 6:50:08 PM PST
Yeah. I get making it be a long cooldown (24 hours), that would be fine. Instead, as far as I can tell, you can't even unlock it permanently on a free account. It is a single-use item you can buy from the store.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 6:42:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 6:45:37 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Ah, great. I really thought it'd be dumb to hamstring the gameplay so greatly as to have only one skill bar. THAT'S the kind of F2P lock-out that would turn away some potential paying customers, I'd imagine.

Too bad you weren't wrong about the fleet travel thing. Grrr.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 6:10:12 PM PST
I mean, the real reason for playing the game is the stories. Those, at least, are still free. Thank the Force for that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 5:58:16 PM PST
Oh, I remember. I remember having to get to level 14 before I could use Sprint!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 5:42:48 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
I'm not. This is pretty typical for games that go Free 2 Play.

I was thinking of giving Everquest a little bit of a try again just for old times sake when they went F2P, but it was a joke.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:49:48 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Yea the long travel times bugged me when I was leveling, though they aren't a huge deal. They used to be a lot worse when you had to run through each planet's space station just to get back to your ship. I agree about the race options on both counts, it sucks you only get human and maybe one other, but like you said, they basically do nothing except change what you look like, which won't matter once you start wearing armor anyways.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:43:17 PM PST
I just HATE slow travel times in MMOs. Kind of a pet peeve. But, in general, it's a good deal in terms of total hours you get. I hate that race options are locked...at least they do not affect gameplay.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:42:30 PM PST
Berengar Colony.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:42:16 PM PST
Warzones are PvP. So no.

Flashpoints are daily repeatable quests you can farm for XP, light/dark points, gear, and credits. They require a four-person team (of the level of said FP). If, like me, you can't always find a group, it is possible to solo most of them if you are sufficiently higher in level.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:32:29 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Oh yea I can understand that. Though playing for free isn't a bad tradeoff for losing a few conveniences.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:30:04 PM PST
It is probably reasonable to argue that my opinion of the changes is extra-negative due to having had those conveniences in the past.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 4:28:46 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Which server are you on btw Nate?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:10:38 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Lol right. Although I admit some of the flashpoints are pretty cool and the stories for some of them are pretty interesting, particularly if you've played the other Kotor games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:08:59 PM PST
DVvM says:
Oh, okay. So a fleet pass is like a scroll of town portal, and flashpoints and warzones are something I would never have any interest in.

Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:07:15 PM PST
It takes you to the fleet (each side has one). Basically, it's a hub. Has all of your crafting trainers, skill trainers, special currency (each planet has its own commendations) vendors, trading post stations, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:05:30 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Sorry, fleet pass is insta travel from anywhere to the fleet, where most flashpoints and operations take place. Warzones are pvp matches. Flashpoints are 4 player story dungeons with harder enemies and bosses

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:03:32 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Yea but like I said, that was sort of a new thing. When I first played there was no fleet pass. Plus they shortened travel time letting you use speeders in space ports or letting you shuttle directly from a planet to your ship

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 4:01:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 4:01:40 PM PST
DVvM says:
Can someone explain to those of us who have never played any MMOs at all, least of all SW:TOR what the following terms mean:

"Fleet Pass"
"Warzone"
"Flashpoint"

I tried googling, but there's a lot of jargon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:58:50 PM PST
It isn't. Not like I was buying stuff with credits. That's an annoyance, more than anything else.

And yeah, even the 18 hour fleet pass is gone, which is absurd.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 3:48:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 3:51:19 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Honestly, I don't see how this is a bad deal. It's basically the whole game for free. You can't wear certain armor and you dont get certain arguably unnecessary conveniences, but you get the entire story, dozens and dozens of hours and game play for nothing. Just playing the class quest of one class is a longer story than me3,
and you get it for nothing

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 3:43:17 PM PST
cab0218 says:
This all sounds really dumb.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:28:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 3:29:50 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Well they do let you do a certain number of warzones and flashpoints per week for free, you just don't get all the loot for them. You really only NEED that gear for operations and high level world bosses anyways

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:25:55 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, for one thing it's not smart to make the free-to-play appeal only to the sorts of people who aren't into the whole MMO thing to begin with. You want to make the free tier be a gateway to get people to try the MMO stuff and get hooked on the non-story aspects so they start giving you money. You don't want to make all that stuff annoying and hard to do without paying money, since that will lead to people just not doing it at all.

What's a fleet pass, by the way?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:25:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 3:26:30 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Well the fleet pass used to only come from the security key vendor, then they gave everybody one with like a 18 hour cool down. The quick travel restriction sucks, I agree, though when I was playing a lot, I rarely had over 100k credits anyways. I dont think thats too huge of a deal really, especially for characters under 50.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:21:34 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Maybe it has mods in it from purple gear?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  69
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions