Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Rear wheel drive in the snow

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2012 6:29:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 6:32:43 AM PST
Ice King says:
I'm getting a new car tonight (2011 Dodge Charger) and it has rear wheel drive. I love everything about the car, the person who bought it new got pretty much every single option available, and I'm a sucker for all those gadgets they put in cars, but I hear that rear wheel drive can be a nightmare in the snow and since I live in Rhode Island that's a concern for me.
I've been looking into it and most people seem to say that the Charger is one of the better ones for snow if you just get snow tires but I was curious if anyone here has any experience with it. I know most of you better than anyone else on the internet so your opinions will mean more.

And to keep this somewhat video game related, my gaming budget is going to take a huge hit with this new expense.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:32:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 6:35:06 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I have RWD in NJ and have been fine last two winters on my all season tires, but they've also been a little mild....i'm sure you've been witness to the same.

The question would be, in the days where it comes down heavy, do you have a carpooling option? Second car?

I worried too about it, then said screw it and got the car i wanted. Usually roads are salted and clear by the next day, unless we get a noreaster of course.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:33:08 AM PST
Cats Go Nyan says:
You're the Ice King and you're worried about snow?

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:34:06 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:33:01 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:34:25 AM PST
Stud Lee© says:
Fill your trunk with brick or concrete blocks if it snows and you'll be fine. I used to do that with my '86 Camaro and never had any issues. If it gets icy, all bets are off and you're screwed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:34:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 6:36:32 AM PST
My first 4 cars were rear wheel drive and it snows a lot here in the Northeast.

Just make sure that you have good tires, DO NOT accelerate quickly, and be very careful that you never accelerate while turning if it's slick, you'll quickly spin out.

Front wheel drive cars can usually accelerate a bit while turning a corner in the snow because you're pulling the weight through. If you hit the gas while turning in the snow, you'll fishtail very quick. Just try to coast along corners and be wary of hills. It's easy to slide back down if you aren't careful.

EDIT: And putting weight in the trunk is a must during the winter. You need to have weight to get traction!

Automatic or manual?

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:34:57 AM PST
C. Wilscam says:
I actually put off buying a new Challenger this year because it was getting close to winter time, and didn't want to risk getting a rear wheel drive and not having time to get used to it.

They can be a pain in the snow, but if you get good all weathers and drive carefully, you should be good....As long as it doesn't snow too much of course :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:35:19 AM PST
I don't have experience with the Charger but I grew up in Wyoming where it snowed quite a bit during the winter and I driven a number of rear wheel drive cars. It sucks, especially when dealing with hills and ice. The only time I've ever gotten stuck in the snow was in a rear wheel drive car and that was my Lincoln Continental. Slid backwards into a snow drift and my back end got hung up, couldn't get traction to push myself out though if it had been a front wheel drive car I would have been just fine.

I always prefer that feeling of being pulled through the snow over being pushed through the snow. Way too easy to fish tail and lose control. Don't even get me started on black ice either.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:35:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 6:36:02 AM PST
I recommend bags of sand or rock salt in the trunk. If you get stuck you can break a bag open and use that to help you get out.

I always put a few bags in my camaros as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:35:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 6:37:20 AM PST
Ice King says:
I live in Rhode Island, pretty much on the Massachusetts border (it's about five minutes away from my house). Last year was mostly just an extended spring but a couple of years ago we had tons of snow.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:36:59 AM PST
Stud Lee© says:
Carry a shovel and make sure you have plenty of water. That way, you can drink the water and pee on the snow until you hit road surface :)

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:38:01 AM PST
Admiral55 says:
Snow tires, and cautious driving.

IMO, the bigger danger about driving in snow/ice is an inability to stop....and then it doesn't matter FWD/RWD/AWD/4WD, unless you get studded snows.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:39:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 6:40:02 AM PST
Stud Lee© says:
The OP's name is Ice King, so he should already be an expert at driving in it. Otherwise, he's no Ice King and merely an Ice Wannabe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:40:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 6:47:22 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Yeah, wife's family is from south Mass, off 495. We travel there every winter,heck leaving for there on wed, it has been mild as of late though. But i do remember the snow storms earlier in the decade. I wouldn't want any part of I95 in the Providence area under inclement weather, with all those extreme bends.

Do you commute far? Is your job one of those where you can't take off ?You just never want to be under the gun driving thru the bad part of a snow fall. Always, go slow and take your sweet time. No low profile tires.

My car has a curb weight of ~ 3500 lbs and i've been ok taking my time. Charger is in the 4000-4400lb, depending on model. Your throtle response will play a large role though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:52:43 AM PST
Ice King says:
Luckily I don't have to go anywhere near 95, or any highways for that matter. My drive is mostly route 1A, which has a pretty big hill at one point that I can avoid by taking a different route.

From what I've been reading, and what everyone here has been saying, it sounds like I'll be fine as along as I'm careful, which I always am anyway. Having lived here all my life I'm no stranger to snow.

And as several people have pointed out, I AM the Ice King.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:55:09 AM PST
I live in Ohio where we can encounter some big snow falls once in a great while, but I still made sure that the car I purchased would at the very least have 4 wheel drive. I really really wanted a nice sports car with rear wheel drive, but in the end I settled on and Audi. I think it was a good comprimise. maybe once I pay it off, I can trade up to a sportier version (like and S4 or maybe even an S5 if I can afford it).

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:59:38 AM PST
Voice of god says:
Just put ribbed condoms on your tires.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:12:16 AM PST
If you get a chance go to a big empty parking lot and just drive around in the snow and slush to get a feel of how the car will handle in the snow. You WILL spin out at some point and it's important to learn how to recover from that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:17:14 AM PST
Meth Panther says:
I have rear wheel drive in a small truck. It's horrible in the snow and I try to avoid going out if the roads are even slightly slippery.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:18:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 7:19:05 AM PST
This.

And you want to turn into the spin, not away from it.

Learn to drift, it's a lot of fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:19:22 AM PST
Donkey Punch says:
My car is AWD because I live where it snows. Safety first my friend.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:19:44 AM PST
Meth Panther says:
Plus it's fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:22:14 AM PST
Pretty much, I've lived in Mass all my life and have never had a 4WD or an AWD car but it's never been a problem. All you have to know is what your car can and cannot do and you'll be fine, even if you have to go the long way home to avoid the steep hill.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:23:01 AM PST
I had a RWD manual when I lived in Germany. We had a LOT of snow and I found that starting off in 2nd gear cut down on spinning tires from a stop. And I could do doughnuts at will. Lots of fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:27:17 AM PST
Manual in the snow was always a blast.

I can still have a lot of fun though in my Subarus. Just take off the traction control and spin in place, hehehe.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions