Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Forbes: Black Ops 2 is one of the best told stories in video games

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-43 of 43 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:09:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 1:10:07 PM PST
G. says:
Not trolling. You said it yourself, they are pushing MP and they want people to buy map packs. $500 million in a day isn't a reason for them to put more time into the single player, they are making their money either way. Most of the complaining about COD, and it annoys me, is that the single player isn't good enough. Complaining about games is just annoying. With so many games out there, just play the ones you like and don't cry about the ones you don't like. That's not a game anybody should be buying if they want to play SP. By this point in the series, it shouldn't be a surprise that the game isn't built SP heavy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:11:24 PM PST
Soulshine says:
Um. Most are saying that the SP in the new CoD is pretty good.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 1:28:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 1:34:26 PM PST
MoultonHawk says:
DVVM...Rent it for the SP it will be worth it. It plays out like a movie. It's graphic and dark, but I really enjoyed it for once. It's got a few bumpy parts but it's worth a day or two red box rental, that would be $5 for two days.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:35:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 1:36:31 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
"That's 2 months I don't have to find another video game to play!"

At the same time, though, it means you're playing the same game for two months before seeing a conclusion or getting any variety in your leisure activity. A lot of people (me included) would not enjoy that, which is why I don't care for any Bethesda developed games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:41:01 PM PST
OP says:
Well, 70 hrs in 2 months is a low-to-moderate amount of playing to begin with.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:49:23 PM PST
I found that line to be rather idiotic as well.

Isn't the Call of Duty series something that is predominately bought just for the multiplayer anyway? People probably play the MP for longer than they would the single player story so why even bring something like time into the equation.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:54:03 PM PST
Some people buy Call of Duty for the single player, and enjoy that thoroughly. But that's not why the game is so popular.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:54:22 PM PST
I see what he means by Call of Duty giving a well structured campaign, just look at Medal of Honor and Battlefield 3 to get an idea of how to do it wrong. However the notion that nearly every game out there fails at what it sets out to do is flat out wrong as is the idea of linear games being bad in general is wrong. Also I'm throwing the BS flag on the idea that Black Ops 2 is one of the best told stories in gaming. Clearly someone hasn't spent that much time playing story driven games.

Go pick up The Walking Dead and then come back to talk to me about how Black Ops 2 tells a great story with player choice.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 1:59:28 PM PST
Soulshine says:
My dad likes Call of Duty games more than any other games but never plays MP. He plays the campaigns just to beat them 4 or 5 times on various difficulties. Oh and spec ops mode - he does those missions too. Anything except that competitive MP that I hear is mighty popular.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 2:01:34 PM PST
Exactly! The campaign might be well structured and to the point but I can't imagine how Black Ops 2 would be THE BEST game for story.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 2:02:08 PM PST
Call of Duty 4 has one of the top 5 campaigns of any game this gen. Not just FPS, it's a masterpiece.

And with that, I'm out!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 2:02:21 PM PST
My mom only likes Zombies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 2:05:56 PM PST
K Archer says:
I agree; I'm very skeptical that BO2 has one of the greatest stories in video games. It may be one of the better in CoD...but when you have Bioware's games, Final Fantasy, Half-Life, and many, many others...yeah, I don't think its really much better then "good".

And no, I don't have it...a 6-hour campaign is not worth $60...heck, its not worth $20...maybe when it hits ten I'll get it unless I borrow it from someone.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 2:25:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 2:26:25 PM PST
I just don't like the whole "being in first person and there are people shooting at you and you don't know where they are and you can't pause it and look around to see them and then you're dead" experience.

I'm not good at them and I don't have fun playing them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 2:44:18 PM PST
Well he isn't saying that it is the best story but rather Black Ops 2 tells its story the best over other games. So basically this whole article is about presentation and how Black Ops 2 does it better than everyone else.

Still though I throw the BS flag on that statement because there are so many other games out there that have been telling amazing stories in great ways for a long time.

Also I'm pretty sure this is why most people have taken issues with Call of Duty in the past:

http://i.imgur.com/Tfwlr.jpg

@ K. Archer

Half-Life is a shining example of how to tell a great story in an FPS and not rely on cut scenes or giving you bits of story during loading screens.

That's why I thought Modern Warfare's campaign sucked. They told the story out of order and most of it was done during loading screens.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 3:00:47 PM PST
Shanghaied says:
Agreed.

"Hey guys, you should stop hating on Twilight while you're thumbing through Moby Dick and try to appreciate what vein of the collective unconscious it's struck."

No thanks. That mental exercise won't change the fact that Ahab still kicks little Edward's ass.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 3:16:37 PM PST
Stop stealing my posts.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:56:30 PM PST
FOGE says:
Well, it's a game that focuses on MP. SP is more of a tutorial to get used to the game. Though, this years campaign is quite great. The multiple endings give a great reason to replay the game.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions