Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

American gaming companies or Japanese gaming companies?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 94 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 10:17:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 10:18:53 AM PST
Let me turn the question around on you.

Can you cite any examples that American/Western developers had greater numbers of commercial and critical successes from the 8 bit era thru the N64/Playstation era? Because as I repeatedly mention that this started to change at the turn of the millennium, these are obviously the years I'm refering to.

From the NES thru the N64/Playstation era, Japan dominated the video game industry. At the turn of the millennium, this began to change with the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era. The question of who dominated (aka had more critical and commercial successes) is probably questionable, although I personally feel that Japan was still slightly edging out the west during this era. And now, in the current console generation, it's clear that the West dominates. This is all I'm saying.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 10:22:38 AM PST
"Can you cite any examples that American/Western developers had greater numbers of commercial and critical successes from the 8 bit era thru the N64/Playstation era?"

Bethesda and Rare come readily to mind. Valve hit the scene in the late 90's and has been on top of it ever since. Bioware also comes to mind as well.

Japanese developers had the bigger success stories because they were typically directly attached to a certain console. Not only that but often these companies are more comfortable working with other Japanese developers. Heck despite the massive success Retro has brought Nintendo Miyamoto is still iffy to let them head up a Zelda game entirely and doesn't like the distance between the studios. This played a major role early on but there are plenty of long term success stories in the Western market.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 10:24:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 11:40:49 AM PST
DVvM says:
Except on Nintendo consoles, I've bought very few games by Japanese developers this gen. Fighting games, Bayonetta, Deadly Premonition, Shmups, and that's about it.

A large part of this, I feel, is because the identity of "current gen" games on HD consoles was shaped by formerly PC-only developers who prior to this gen or the last did not have much of a presence in consoles, and Japan does not have much of a PC gaming tradition compared to the west.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 10:27:06 AM PST
John McClane says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 10:29:30 AM PST
But when we count the total number of success stories Rare, Bethesda and Valve had all together in the era in question (up until 2000), they can be counted on two hands? Maybe even one hand? Compare this to the output of Nintendo first party studios, Konami, Square Soft, Capcom, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 10:30:12 AM PST
In Canada and/or Europe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 10:47:26 AM PST
There are far more than a dozen or so Western developers who saw massive success. The PC market was pretty much dominated by American/European development teams. From id Software, Interplay, Bioware, Origin Systems, Looking Glass, Blizzard, Ensemble Studios, Bethesda and more. Console wise Rare, Iguana Entertainment, Acclaim, Ubisoft, Atari, Midway, Criterion Games, Crystal Dynamics, Insomniac Games, Naughty Dog, LucasArts, and well I could go on.

Japan had more success stories yes but that doesn't mean there weren't plenty outside of Japan.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 10:57:18 AM PST
I'm going to bow out of this discussion because I don't think anyone is understanding what I'm trying to say, and I think that's my fault .

All I was saying is that up to around 2000, Japan dominated the gaming industry. Not subjectively, but objectively. I'm not saying there weren't any good American games. I was a huge PC gamer throughout the entire decade of the 1990's and I know this just as well as anyone. I was just saying that overall, from a critical and commercial perspective, Japanese developers had more success stories than Western developers in the 80's and 90's, which was the time frame I specified in my original post that started this debate.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 11:05:35 AM PST
Matt says:
This, entirely this. Keji hit the nail on the head.

The PC market was pretty huge back then too, I would say there were more success stories on that platform alone than there were from Japanese developers on consoles at that point. Games like Unreal, Doom, Quake, Half Life, Medal of Honor, numerous RTS games, Star Wars, and a heck of a lot of other francises were a license to print money, of course before piracy became even more rampant.

That said, stuff like Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell, GTA, most FPS games, and quite a few other games that my memory is failing me at the moment on, did extremely well.

Squaresoft 10 years ago for example were only famous for Final Fantasy. There were other studios producing games that were a lot more well known outside of Japan.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 11:13:35 AM PST
DVvM says:
I think a large part of the story of this latest generation harkens from what Microsoft did with the original Xbox: make a console that PC developers can develop games for without compromising much on quality (*cough* Starcraft 64 *cough*). As a result, you've seen a lot of big formerly PC-only devs find a lot of success on the HD consoles this go around, since they've reached a wider audience that appreciates their games. I mean, Call of Duty was originally a PC-only game.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 11:29:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 11:29:29 AM PST
Modern Wolf says:
People here must be Japanese fanboys, cause any comment that prefers America gets downvoted

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 11:49:11 AM PST
"Not subjectively, but objectively."

The problem with such a claim is that you need to back it up. What were the sales and profits of games from that era, broken down by region? Did Japanese games really make more money back then?

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 11:55:27 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 4, 2012 12:11:34 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 11:58:04 AM PST
Hmm...should we downvote your comment because it's stupid in general or because of the racial slur in particular?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:00:35 PM PST
The racial slur, definitely.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:02:46 PM PST
I'm confused as to what to do because I do love me some Jewish American princesses.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:04:25 PM PST
Many of the developers I listed we're quite active during that period though I get what point you were trying to make. I was simply saying there are quite a few out there, more so than many might think, but I do agree with you that majority of the business was being done with Japanese developers. Plus it is like I said before many of these companies back then vastly preferred working with other Japanese companies because it made business much easier to conduct. Speaking the same language, being in the same country, and often right in the same area had massive benefits for companies like Nintendo who oversaw development of numerous titles.

Take a look at someone like Hiroshi Yamauchi, the man knew what was going to work and what wasn't so his insights within Nintendo and the projects they dealt with benefited greatly from this. I don't think his management style and personality would have meddled well with companies outside of Japan, yet within the Japanese culture he could very easily deliver and work with numerous people.

I think part of the reason the Japanese market has failed to keep its foot hold in the industry is they lost sight of what made their games so great; originality.

Just look at Capcom, if it isn't a fighter then they are trying to make it just like Gears of War. Resident Evil 6 suffered greatly because it tried to be everything it wasn't, Lost Planet has been a subpar series because they wanted to mimic Western development instead of just building a fun game. Need I go on with them? You see it all the time and the titles that truly shine are the ones that don't care what Western developers are doing, they simply build the game they wanted to build.

@ DVvM

Very good point plus Microsoft was the first American based company to get a console on the market and actually have it stick around to gain some market share. I think that had a big part to do with it because Nintendo, at the time, wasn't willing to deal with certain developers and game types while Sony had something of a complicated platform to work with. So that left many developers with the choice of a limited PC market or working with platforms that probably weren't the best fit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:07:44 PM PST
Modern Wolf says:
Because of the racial slur of course lol what a stupid question

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:14:07 PM PST
That's funny. She doesn't look Druish.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:15:30 PM PST
Kind of surprised Amazon got on that quickly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:17:37 PM PST
I'm not an Xbox fan.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 1:09:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 1:11:37 PM PST
"I'm not really in to hentai so I'm going with American."

That's a lie. EVERYONE loves hentai.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 1:11:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 2:43:11 PM PST
Both, really. I find both sides of the coin to be swarming with mediocre junk, however. It's always been like that. However, I have to say I preferred the West this gen. The only game from Japan that I loved was Metal Gear Solid 4, Madworld, and Nintendo's main oeuvre (Super Mario, Metroid, Zelda). That said, I haven't got around to playing Suda51's games, though.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 1:43:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 1:48:45 PM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
without the help of Atari, Nintendo and etc, there wouldn't be an american game company, so i'd say Japanese all the way.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 1:45:16 PM PST
DVvM says:
I don't think that's true at all. Without Atari and Nintendo etc. there certainly wouldn't be console gaming, but the vast majority of American gaming companies have produced PC games historically, and I have trouble believing that PC gaming would never have developed without Nintendo.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  94
Initial post:  Nov 4, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions