Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Favorite Sega Genesis game?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 121 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 2, 2013 9:40:30 AM PST
Joshua C says:
Lately I've been expanding my Genesis library, and was wondering what games everyone else enjoys.

My personal favorites are:
Phantasy Star 4
Shining Force 2
Spider-man and Venom: Maximum Carnage

I just picked up complete copies of Shining Force, Cyborg Justice, Warsong, NBA Jam, and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 at a local flea market this week. Slowly but surely getting more games

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 9:45:58 AM PST
Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 9:47:07 AM PST
Nicos says:
Favorite: Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Others:
Earthworm Jim (better than the SNES version)
Vectorman
Shinobi III
Castlevania Bloodlines
Jungle Strike
Kid Chameleon
SplatterHouse 2
Kiwi Kraze

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 9:47:35 AM PST
Shining Force.

Btw, apparently Mickey castle of illusion is hitting consoles.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/03/02/castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-coming-to-wii-u/

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 9:47:45 AM PST
Eric says:
Sonic the hedgehog 2, one of my favorite games of all time, especially the soundtrack. Spider-man and venom:maximum carnage is also awesome. Robocop vs terminator was an old favorite too.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 9:51:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2013 9:51:53 AM PST
Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Followed by Sonic the Hedgehog 3. Followed by Sonic & Knuckles. Followed by Gunstar Heroes. Followed by Sonic the Hedgehog.

EDIT:
Oh, I should totally grab a copy of Gunstar Heroes now that I have a Nomad.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 9:52:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2013 10:09:52 AM PST
badguy says:
Maximum Carnage and Seperation Anxiety both Spider-Man and Venom games.
Streets of Rage 1 and 2
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic and Knuckles
Mortal Kombat 2
Aladdin
Vectorman
Toy Story
Homealone

I can picture some others but I cant put a name to them though.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 9:54:03 AM PST
You have a Nomad? Lucky.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 9:54:08 AM PST
Star Control
Lightening Force
Sonic
Vectorman
Mega Turrican
Flashback
Rocket Knight Adventures
Streets of Rage
Golden Axe

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 10:00:49 AM PST
new Tron says:
Probably Shining Force.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 10:03:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2013 10:04:40 AM PST
I was lucky enough to find one in good condition at a local retro game store last year, which went out of business a few months later. Didn't come with the battery pack, though, so I have to play while plugged.

Still, beats plugging my old model 2 Genesis into the TV upstairs every time I want to play my Genesis games.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 10:06:29 AM PST
Dukeshire says:
No order:

Liberty or Death
Dune 2000
Landstalker
Phantasy Star III
Sonic games
WWF RAW
NHL 92/3
Mortal Kombat

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 10:13:08 AM PST
Joshua C says:
Not often you see PS3 above PS2 or PS4... What do you like more about it than the other games?

(I actually loved PS3 as well, but most places I look its considered the worst of the originals)

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 10:23:43 AM PST
I loved Maximum Carnage, but it was so damn hard. Other favorites are Streets of Rage 2, Golden Axe, Mortal Kombat 2, Sonic 2, 3 & Knuckles, Ri-Star, and Pulse Man (courtesy of Sega Channel). Toe Jam & Earl 2 was another favorite.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 10:33:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2013 10:36:18 AM PST
badguy says:
It wasn't so hard that you weren't able to beat it was it?
Maximum Carnage was one of those games for me that you felt like you ruled the video game world for a few seconds when you beat it no matter how many times you've completed it before. Also if you stuck with Spidey the entire game you got more extra lives and power ups for the special attacks from the other super heroes/villians that teamed up with you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 10:53:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2013 10:57:01 AM PST
Unfortunately for me it was. I used Venom quite often because I felt he was stronger. I think the farthest I ever got was the Statue of Liberty part.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 10:56:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2013 11:08:30 AM PST
In no particular order, I'm going to list some that haven't made the thread yet but highly deserve to be here.

Pitfall
Earthworm Jim
Strider
Valis

Edit: And just realized that Earthworm Jim WAS mentioned already in the thread. Sorry, Nicos, for inadvertently stealing some of your thunder.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 11:05:42 AM PST
Joshua C says:
Strider was so good! Also Earthworm Jim. I picked it up when PSN had the HD version on sale and its still great

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 11:08:09 AM PST
toejam and earl

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 11:09:19 AM PST
Dukeshire says:
For a moment I thought you were talking about the Playstation! You know I am racking my brain and I do remember enjoying PS but not what one. I actually played the original on the SMS and loved it. I must be thinking of PSII.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 11:11:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2013 11:13:41 AM PST
badguy says:
First time I got to the end by using Venom whenever possible I beat Carnage only to find out theres 1 or 2 more boss fights with him after the the first set of credits man was that a soul crusher. Thats when I usually stuck with Spider-Man and somewhat stocked up on extra lives and stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 11:11:40 AM PST
Dukeshire says:
Strider was great. I never got into EWJ. I think it was more style than substance. But I do recall, the fact that the SNES could do Lens Flare! That was a big deal back then.....I guess minor stuff like that is as well today. Too bad the Sega version did not have Blast Processing (Though I think it did have an extra level).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 11:13:56 AM PST
I still remember playing the first one(on the SMS so I don't know if it's applicable to this thread) and the hatred I had of the final dungeon. It was a trollish move to make the final doorway only visible if you were directly facing it and to have it in the middle of a corridor. Finding the entrance was MUCH more difficult than the final fight. Of course, by that point, everyone should have ground up enough to OP anything thrown at you.

I never got around to playing 4, I feel like I've missed something.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 11:23:39 AM PST
Joshua C says:
4 does a really good job of wrapping up the story and has plenty of references back to 1 and 2 in it. 3 is actually more of a sidestory, takes place concurrently with 4.

1 had the first-person dungeons (which I hate)
2 was the first to show your characters in battle (back of their heads, and an animation for attacks) and it allowed you to change out party members.
3 got rid of character animations in battle, moved to a more "western" art style, got rid of learning spells as you level up (you just start with all of them and can "adjust" which ones are stronger at a shop) and had generations and semi-multiple endings
4 went back to anime style, brought back character animation in battle, added what passed for cutscenes, brought back learning spells as you level, and brought back the ability to change out your characters

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 11:24:15 AM PST
Joshua C says:
I can't believe I forgot to mention Comix Zone! Ahhh love that game
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  121
Initial post:  Mar 2, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions