Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Puerto Ricans opt for statehood in referendum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 118 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:06:23 PM PST
DVvM says:
It's hard to say that this is really imperialism when these people just voted "Hey, let us into your country" in open elections.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:11:27 PM PST
True dat. More of a reflection on the HI experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:13:07 PM PST
That said, I think people are way too sensitive about going into a place and changing that place. Part of what makes us human is the trade of ideas--it's one of the great parts of being human; it's what overcomes the "us or them" mentality that moves us to conflict, be it ideological or physical. We shouldn't forget where we come from, but at the same time we can't stop moving forward in the name of _preventing_ togetherness.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:21:03 PM PST
DVvM says:
People are probably too sensitive about it now, but it's because people were nowhere near sensitive enough about it 50-60 years ago.

It's the whole pendulum thing, hopefully we eventually damp down to a mutually tolerable equilibrium.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:24:00 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Wait, just so I'm clear, in this pendulum scenario, we want the clock to stop, right? ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:31:03 PM PST
I agree with that personally, but I wouldn't want to make that decision for others for whom maintaining their own traditions might be more important that they are for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:37:44 PM PST
Harmicky says:
But the majority of Puerto Ricans want this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:40:46 PM PST
Yeah, and as I mentioned before, if that's what PR American citizens want, that's fine by me. That said, I think it's important to note that it was a fairly slim majority. 46% of Puerto Ricans wanted to maintain their current status as a U.S. commonwealth.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:45:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 7:46:00 PM PST
Harmicky says:
You're right, that is a pretty slim majority. For that reason many analysts don't think Congress will approve it.

I, however, think that the colonial relationship with PR needs to change, regardless of popular PR opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:49:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 7:49:57 PM PST
48% of voting Americans wanted Romney to be president, you don't see them getting a say in that matter.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:51:06 PM PST
DVvM says:
This does, however, put the ball in the U.S. Congress's court and they could certainly set aside a path towards statehood that would require, among other things, approval by a larger portion of the population.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:51:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 7:52:21 PM PST
Not sure that's an apt comparison.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:55:20 PM PST
DVvM says:
It is, however, the very nature of democracy that sometimes the majority gets to impose their will on the minority. This is explicitly why the U.S. is not a democracy, as much of the edifice of American government exists to protect minorities from majorities. But in terms of referenda, it's pretty much "If 50% plus one voter wants it, then that's what we get."

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:58:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 8:11:59 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Someone is apparently unhappy with this thread and is painstakingly downvoting every single post.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:16:33 PM PST
DVvM says:
Possibly someone from Puerto Rico that opposes statehood?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:17:57 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Perhaps. But I'm not sure why they'd oppose the very discussion of it. Meh?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:19:25 PM PST
DVvM says:
Possibly they also hate free speech and the marketplace of ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:21:30 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Lol, yes, perhaps. Or perhaps they are very, very bored and have found a strange new form of amusement.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:26:24 PM PST
Really? Wow.

Are they opposed to the idea that America should've ever separated from Great Britain, too?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:31:09 PM PST
"My concern is that by becoming a state, we lose our identity over time. That is culture, traditions, way of living. Things that identify an ethnic group."

I very much doubt this will be the case. There are still many places that have European-descended populations that are largely insular. We also see this with Asian and Middle Eastern communities within American cities. There are very strong Puerto Rican populations where I live in the Northeast.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:31:19 PM PST
Very sad. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:32:45 PM PST
I am amazed that four people downvoted your perfectly reasonable comment.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:33:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 8:34:32 PM PST
DVvM says:
I was born in International Falls, Minnesota. One summer during college I visited someone I was surreptitiously dating in this person's home in Talladega, Alabama. I felt like I didn't even speak the damn language. I could never tell what anybody was saying.

So we've already got that "regional subcultures" thing under control.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:35:08 PM PST
The dv thing around here is always crazy stupid and often stalkerish.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:35:27 PM PST
Harmicky says:
It apparently does not add to the discussion...
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  118
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions