Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Help a PC novice out for Christmas?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 93 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 4:39:35 AM PST
Oh, right. We'll have to get you in then.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 4:37:28 PM PST
Steven says:
Apparently it's by invite only. D:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:40:48 AM PST
Steven says:
I'll be sure to do that!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:33:15 AM PST
Make sure you join the VGF group!

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 10:32:30 AM PST
Steven says:
/bump

Not exactly posting from my PC right now (work, meh), but it was successfully built and runs like a dream. Now the painful process of installing all the games begins... So far I only have CS:S, Mass Effect, and Far Cry 3 installed. ~40 games to go, the majority being from the Valve pack.

If anybody wants a potential game-mate on their friends list, please feel free to add me on Steam: Keizaron

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:47:05 AM PST
Pretty much. Some of those packs are great. I think the giant THQ pack is $25 or something and comes with (IMO) some of the best action and RTS games on Steam.

It's a great way to get a ton of games for a relatively low cost.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:44:27 AM PST
Steven says:
I just saw the Valve complete pack. Want. Torchlight and Skyrim are things on my to get list, too.

This sale isn't fair and my wallet needs to grow money.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:37:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013 8:40:56 AM PST
I just picked up a nice 27" Acer monitor and I love it.

It replaced my 8+ year old 19" HP which had a horrible contrast ratio and resolution....

Needless to say, I feel like this now when I game on my PC - http://imgs.mi9.com/uploads/other/2671/happy-cat-wallpaper_422_36342.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:36:29 AM PST
There's a Steam app that you can download that links to the store and all sales.

You can even purchase through the app and then install when you get Steam running on your home PC. Just remember that it largely requires an internet connection to play your games, but there are a lot of added features if you do use it.

Skyrim is on sale for $29.99 for the next 12 hours. Torchlight 2 is on sale for $10, Max Payne 3 is 75% off, as are a bunch of others. The sale swaps to a new set of deals in about 1.5 hours.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:36:23 AM PST
Finger says:
I had the same problem. Got everything together ready to build, then realized I was stuck with a 10 year old monitor. The good news is that monitors can be really inexpensive and easy to find. Depending on how sophisticated a monitor you're looking for, of course. If you want a $2000 display you can go that route too.

I picked up a 24 inch Asus last month for $120. Looks great and has everything I need.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:34:53 AM PST
Steven says:
That's what I was thinking. Using my basic monitor for a secondary (maps for games, forums, yada yada) and get a decent monitor for ze gaems.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:33:43 AM PST
Steven says:
I do have an android phone. Silly me for not thinking of using that.

Just about the only genre I don't play is racing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:31:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013 8:31:31 AM PST
Do you have an android phone?

What game genres are you into?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:30:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013 8:39:20 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Lots of choices to go there. I've had good experience with Asus and Viewsonic. My brothers use Acer and Samsung too, look hella nice as well.

Then there is the Playstation display, but i don't recommend it for text. Reading Amazon forums on it for instance will make your eyes bleed. Legibility is so-so and its bright, but man it looks great on games.

I'm using a dual monitor setup in Extended display mode with the Playstation Display and an Asus 24". The PS monitor as the main with Steam on it full time and my browser windows over on the Asus.

So don't junk your current display , you can put it to use similarly if you have the desk space.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:26:23 AM PST
Steven says:
Got any suggestions? The joy of being at work and having access only to our customers' websites.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:24:50 AM PST
You should buy a few games on Steam during their holiday sale NOW so you have stuff to play. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:23:28 AM PST
Finger says:
Looks like good choices, well done. I'm sure you'll love it. Have a good time putting together your new toy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:22:09 AM PST
Steven says:
Thanks for all the help. I'll be sure to make a celebratory post in the next few days when I finish.

I'm daydreaming now since it's not even built yet, but I wonder what I should do for monitor/et cetera once I get irritated with my standard crap. XD

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 8:17:44 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
That will be one stout machine Steve. Take your time, prime yourself with the NeweggTV vids on Youtube. Great advice above from Capt K.

Good luck

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:13:56 AM PST
Steven says:
The build that mayo posted above, except the graphics card which was a later mayo-suggestion.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/video%20games/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1T1DM93QU4XL1&cdMsgID=Mx12GLXG3C1AU82&cdMsgNo=57&cdPage=3&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx3GI3CM826KYCI#Mx12GLXG3C1AU82 for the build except with...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103208 this instead of the Sapphire Radeon card in the first link.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:02:44 AM PST
Finger says:
What did you finally decide to go with?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 7:59:21 AM PST
Don't build on a carpet.

Don't wear socks.

Static is your ENEMY.

Keep pets and your phone away from you and the parts.

Watch you-tube videos on how to install the CPU, it's the toughest part.

The GPU might take more force to install than you think necessary.

Make sure you place your memory sticks according to the motherboard's instructions.

Take your time.

Have fun!

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 7:56:04 AM PST
Steven says:
Since the holidays pooped on my parade, I received the parts today instead. On top of that, I don't even get to work on it for the next 12 hours. :(

But... here's to hopefully not screwing up what sounds like an easy process! Any last minute tips besides "Don't break anything"?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 6:30:16 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Very nice. Good luck with the build and let us know how it went. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 5:09:19 PM PST
Steven says:
So I got everything in this post today, minus the Sapphire Radeon card. Instead, I ordered this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103208

I will have everything on Friday and I get to start the building process.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
XB1 dominating Black Friday and it's not even Black Friday yet. And XB1 sitting at #1 on Amazon all day. 47 9 seconds ago
Black Friday hauls ... What did you get??? 84 26 seconds ago
MIA*² 4868 2 minutes ago
OT: The Star Wars: Episode VII Teaser is here! 27 2 minutes ago
Any Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney fans here? 5 6 minutes ago
Hey white devils dont forget your ancestors made you rich by KILLING Native Americans & STEALING 30 8 minutes ago
Official Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire Thread 22 8 minutes ago
OT: Week 13 of the NFL Season: It's football/thanksgiving week people. Time to eat turkey and watch some football. WHO YA GOT 17 14 minutes ago
Man I really love Aliens : Colonial Marines 12 18 minutes ago
OT: Who's working today? 24 44 minutes ago
♫♥ *Hâppy Bïrthday Disabled Smurf* ♥♫ 11 51 minutes ago
Destiny PS4 VGF Clan 4818 54 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  93
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions