Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Over time, have you changed the way you game, or why?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2013 2:09:27 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
I still like to play games every now and then, but not as much as in college or high school, but for very different reasons.

I remember growing up I loved Rpgs and even if they weren't that explorative, I would look cover every inch of the map or levels to make sure I didn't miss anything, or forget to kill anyone.

But now, all I want to do is just finish the game. I think I'm just more interested in the story. I play a lot of co op games and don't even really touch single player games anymore, the only one being Alan Wake.

I play games with my brother, and he was getting pissed that I was rushing through Resident Evil 6 and leaving a crap load of people behind to shoot at our backs, it was even like this in halo, Ghost recon future soldier, and Gears of War 3.

I mean I still have fun, it's just I'm mor einterested in the story and seeing it through than covering everything. I could just say this is a matter of me not having as much time, but I unfortunately hurt my back at work and haven't been able to get back for months.

So have any of you noticed that you play games differently?

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 2:16:21 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Yeah, now because of time constraints I don't really challenge myself. I play most games on easy mode. Only rarely will I play on normal or hard. I'm more about the experience now and less about the challenge. Of course, I did beat Dark Souls...

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 2:17:18 PM PST
Surprisingly enough, I only play on harder difficulties now, even with less time. I just find it more enjoyable and a better way to use my time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 2:23:24 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
That's interesting, since I mostly play co op games I play on medium difficulties, but not to challenge myself, but to lengthen the games. my bro ends up buying both game copies for us to play, an dusually on release day so I feel bad that we'll probably play the game once then put it down. We haven't played Gears, Resident Evil, Ghost, Borderlands 1 for a second after we beat it. And he pre orderd Deadp Space 3 for the both of us, which will probably end up th esame way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 2:30:56 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
The way I play games, as well as what I play, has changed, and will likely continue to change as life goes on.

I used to bounce around from game to game not so concerned with whether I finished them or not. Now I play one game at a time, generally not moving on until I've finished the game. I played lots of multiplayer, local and online, from my childhood to college mostly with RTS and FPS. Now with most of my friends and I being in different parts of the country with most of us married with children, we don't often get the opportunity to play online together. So I largely stick to single player stuff nowadays. And now I do most of my gaming after 9:00 or so once my daughter has gone to bed.

I suspect gaming habits will continue to change as my child grows up, my family grows, and time marches on. 'Tis the way of the things.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 2:31:30 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
I have always been more interested in the story of a game than the actual game play and that is still mostly true. The main thing that I have changed on with video games is being more open to trying different types of games. I mostly just played RPGs as a kid since they had the best story. I always focused on RPGs as well since I didn't have the money to go out and buy a ton of games so I stuck with what games I knew I liked. Now that I have a job and have access to my own disposable income I have the ability to try games in any genre which is great since I never touched most of them as a child.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 2:32:18 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
As far as difficulty goes, that's not something that's changed much. I used to always play on Normal and still mostly do. Trophies/Achievements sometimes convince me to try the harder difficulties, but Normal is my standard.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 2:32:31 PM PST
Jon says:
Since I have much more money, and many more games backlogged, I tend to spend less time with each game and play through them at a lower difficulty. I remember a time when a single game would carry me through an entire year. Now I'm lucky to get a weeks playtime out of a single game. Playthrough on easy/normal then move on to the next. No more achievement hunting, multiplayer mastering (unless friends play it), and almost zero multiplayer time. I spend most of my time gaming with friends as I find gaming solo somewhat boring.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 2:39:07 PM PST
Smash bros. And street fighter used to be my bread and butter, now those games just seem exhausting.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 2:42:41 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 8, 2013 5:43:17 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 2:47:30 PM PST
Nightmare says:
My gaming hasn't changed much. My taste is basically the same as it always was. The only real difference is that I feel less compelled to 100% a game. I didn't 100% many games back in the day, but now it's almost never. Beating the game gives me the satisfaction I need to move on to another game. I replay my favorites as always, and I try to play local multiplayer with my brother when possible.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 2:55:08 PM PST
JWK says:
For difficulty settings, I always set to normal. Even if I had tons of time on my hands (which I don't), I have no interest in dying over and over again, unless that's the point of the game (Demons/Dark Souls). The only games I play on a harder difficulty is Halo because it mocks me, saying (of Heroic difficulty), "This is the way Halo is meant to be played." As a result, I feel like a puss playing on normal. For every other game, it's normal.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 2:55:54 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
I've become a lot more bipolar. I no longer want a lot of difficulty in my SP games, and play those mostly for the story and spectacle. However, when it comes to MP, I want my games to be deep, balanced, and difficult.

As an example, when Fight Night 2004 came out, I played the career mode non-stop. Now, I only really play that series online or against friends, because beating up on AI just isn't satisfying anymore.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 3:11:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 3:16:12 PM PST
Benpachi says:
My gaming habits have changed a lot over the years, especially over the last two. For the longest time I always had to go for 100% completion on games, lately I rarely bother, even for games I really enjoy. I played the original Disgaea on PS2 over 600 hours, I had a full team of 9999 characters with max stats. Disgaea 4 for PS3, about 70 hours, a few level 300 characters, barely scratched the post-game content. I have really lost interest in multiplayer in recent years as well. I don't even get deep into fighting games like I used to, I just don't care anymore. If I play MP nowadays, it's with friends (mostly you peoples) who want to play for fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 3:17:15 PM PST
I primarily play games for story and an active player experience. It used to be the complete opposite. Guess which approach bored me to tears faster?

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 4:37:34 PM PST
I don't play nearly as much as I use to, but I haven't really changed the way I play.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 5:26:29 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
I care way less about story than I used to, partially because I believe the majority of video game stories are bad and because I games that focus on story are lacking in the gameplay department

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 5:44:45 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
I find myself playing things like FIFA, Mortal Kombat, Battlefield 3, CS:GO and Need for Speed more frequently. I'm no longer interested in 10+ hour campagins nor in game stories .. my gaming time is ultra limited and I enjoy it the most with multiplayer madness and ''casual'' sport gaming.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:00:45 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:33 PM PDT]

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 7:51:22 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
I think mp games are a whole different ball game. I usually play one a lot after release, and then move on to something else, and then come back and the game has passed me by and I usually just end up messing around. Like Halo 4, I was mad good, then stopped and now I just have more fun driving the warthog around in multiplayer. Halo needs bots like Black ops 2, it's fun to jus tplay around with bots. My bro and me put like 10 bots on th eopposing team in black ops 2 an dplay headquarters. It's pretty fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:38:12 PM PST
I must admit I'm less interested in side quests with new games. I remember i got 118 stars in mario 64 when i was a kid, but now i jsut got enough to beat Bowser and haven't touched it. I'm fighting that urge as I play Mario Galaxy. It might just be that I have more access to games since i can buy them

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 7:03:17 AM PST
OP says:
I don't play as many RPGs as I used to, and I don't focus on one game at a time like I used to.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 7:08:42 AM PST
Sars says:
I used to go for trophies but ever since my kid was born and i dont have 24-7 to play i dont worry about them. I also will play some games on easy just for the story. like im playing through mass effect 3 and i picked the story difficulty and its been real easy. but im enjoying the story and myself and thats all that matters.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 7:14:02 AM PST
saskamazon says:
I play a wider variety of genres now, & never used to play online MP, & have found with the LBPs, Karting & All Stars, that online MP has its place in some games ... & can be a lot of fun - assuming you have sane players who don't sit on their mics swearing up a storm ... but that problem has not been too overwhelming thus far, the odd time.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 7:28:27 AM PST
I don't play as much as I use to and I don't play as many multiplayer games as I did when HAlo 3 and COD 4 came out. I tend to focus on games with interesting worlds to explore, good story, and solid game play. I also tend to spend more time with Nintendo since that's what my kids like to play.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions