Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

18 years ago today, the Sega 32X...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 12:48:41 PM PST
This is the product that really turned gamers against Sega. In all fairness, I think Sega of America did the best they could considering they were under orders from Sega of Japan. If Sega had released a new system that just doubled the colors of the Genesis and then released the Saturn a year later things would have turned out worse. Sega of America didn't have a choice but in hindsight the 32X should never have been released.

I would love to play Darxide though.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 12:49:47 PM PST
KOLIBRI WAS AWESOME THOUGH.

Seriously, a hummingbird that shoots out of its beak? Fantastic.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 12:50:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 12:50:41 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
That piece of crap never worked for me. I wanted to play Doom so bad on the damn thing, but it hardly ever worked, and would only work after about an hour of tinkering with it between me and my two brothers. I still have it for the collection because I like seeing my Sega CD sitting beneath my Genesis 2 with a 32X in the slot and Sonic & Knuckles in the 32X and then Sonic 3 in the Sonic & Knuckles port. It's a beast.

One of these days, I'll have to get a 32X that actually works.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:56:47 PM PST
So what you are saying, is... it's legal.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 12:59:52 PM PST
Totido says:
What a waste of money it was. Along with Atari Jaguar. I think I still have both in the garage.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:00:35 PM PST
I'll take that Jaguar off your hands.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:05:31 PM PST
I just bought a CDX in the box from a garage sale for $5 last month. It looks like it's never been used.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:07:31 PM PST
Holy crap are you serious?! $5?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:08:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 1:08:43 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
If it's in the box, I'll pay you for it. I have a few Jaguar games, but no system.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:09:39 PM PST
*chokes*

I... I'mma murder you.

And then take it and sell it. I just bought one for $200.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:10:49 PM PST
Amazing piece of kit for the time, wasn't it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:10:50 PM PST
Totido says:
I'm kind of like you as far as keeping systems in my collection. I'll let you know if I change my mind. I know you don't live that far away.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:11:03 PM PST
Yup, I went to a garage sale about 40 minutes from me, which I normally don't do, and I honestly wasn't going to go since it was so far out of the way, but I decided that I didn't have anything better to do and went out. Supposedly it was their son's, who moved out and told them to sell his stuff because he didn't want to haul it with him, so I was able to score it for $5. I didn't even try to talk the mom down, as I already felt bad only paying $5 for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:12:12 PM PST
Wonderful piece of hardware, and mine's in pretty much perfect condition.

But it was pretty spensive.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:13:12 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
An older woman had Panzer Dragoon Saga out for a garage sale for a buck ($0.25 cents per disc), I ended up giving her $20 for it because I felt bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:15:13 PM PST
A BUCK? Seriously?!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:15:31 PM PST
While it's not nearly as sought after, I also recently picked up a boxed NES Challenge Set with SMB3 for $10, mint with everything and instructions.

In more disappointing news, I also saw a R.O.B. Deluxe Set for $6 at a garage sale, opened it and it didn't have R.O.B. in it. I still bought it for $6 so that I can complete it if I ever come across R.O.B. for a good price.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:17:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 1:17:25 PM PST
I still have my originals that I bought at Hills (1 still sealed) when they were going out of business. It came out the same year that they ended up going belly up, so they had to sell off everything that came in, and no one was buying Panzer Dragoon Saga. To think I left 2 copies behind. :(

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:17:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 1:18:17 PM PST
I got a 32X for Christmas. Doom was awesome.

Like a year later K-Mart was pratically giving the games away. I (well my mom) must have picked up 10 games for like $30 that day.

There were a few good games out for it but yeah. It flopped pretty hard.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:19:50 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Yeah, it was really weird timing too because a few months earlier I had spent over $200 on a copy from Ebay. The 3rd disc had a chip in it and wouldn't work, so it was pretty cool to get this copy and swap out the 3rd disc.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:20:57 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Yeah, I remember going to Toys'R'Us with my brothers and they were practically begging us to take the 32X games because they saw us looking at them. They cut us a deal that we could get: MK2, VF, VR, and a couple other games for only $30 bucks. We jumped at that offer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:26:23 PM PST
The SNES version on Doom is still superior to the 32X version, sadly enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:26:44 PM PST
You know, I'd hate to think that you were ripped off with a clone system. Why not send that thing to me and I'll verify that it is a legitimate Sega CDX for you. If it's a ripoff I'll dispose of it for you. I'll even send you $20 plus your shipping costs while I am looking it over and if it turns out to be a fake you can keep the money. That way you're not really out anything....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:33:31 PM PST
Not half bad. I keep telling myself that someday I'll have a toploader NES.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:41:45 PM PST
Ah, the good old days. I remember I had (maybe still have in my basement somewhere) Sega Genesis, Sega CD, and Sega 32X. Man, that's some Transformers right there.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions