Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Obama's speech last night in CT...thoughts? Opinions?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 512 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:14:15 AM PST
And yes still ... every single statistic on crime in the known industrial world disagrees with that statement. Crazy how those facts work! They are so .. sticky ..

Maybe if the gun laws weren't a joke the "armed intruder" wouldn't have had a gun?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:15:53 AM PST
Statistics don't really matter when you're staring down the barrel of a gun.

It doesn't matter what the laws are, a criminal that wants a gun will get a gun.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:16:56 AM PST
"Maybe if the gun laws weren't a joke the "armed intruder" wouldn't have had a gun?"

"Armed intruder"? Don't you mean career felony criminal?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:16:56 AM PST
FOGE says:
Perhaps he obtained the gun illegally? Odds are he had a criminal record ; if so he could not buy a gun legally.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:17:21 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
You are a fool if you think owning a gun is going to protect you all the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:18:37 AM PST
FOGE says:
I don't think anyone thinks it makes them invincible. It's just going to give you better odds at protectiv your family than a baseball bat.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:18:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 8:20:22 AM PST
No, but it'll protect me 100% of the time that I have it versus not having it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:19:55 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Not really. Unless you are the quickest person on Earth it's easily possible to wrestle a gun out of someone's hand.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:20:00 AM PST
Why do people think that giving guns to citizens is the answer? Although I'm not against people owning guns, it's not the solution.

Just knowing how to operating a gun isn't enough. Will civilians be able to deal with the tremendous amount of stress that comes during a shooting? Will civilians be able to compensate with the feeling of panic during a firefight? Can civilians hit a moving target while trying to lower their heartbeat rate?

SWAT teams train for years to overcome these problems during a shootout. Can civilians afford to devote the same amount of time?

The real underlying problem isn't guns, it's mental healthcare. It needs to be more readily available for those who have serious mental problems. Also, for added measure, anyone who wants to own a gun should be required to undergo a psych exam before they can purchase one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:20:04 AM PST
LOL.

"Statistics don't really matter when you're staring down the barrel of a gun."

You're like some cold war relic. Have you ever stared down the barrel of a gun? I have.

"It doesn't matter what the laws are, a criminal that wants a gun will get a gun."

And the stats disagree with you on that too! Crazy! You're 2 for 2 ... want to shoot for 3 for 3?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:20:28 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
You think it's insulting to require people to prove mental competency? Are you mentally incompetent and feel threatened by this suggestion?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:20:33 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
The forefathers of this great nation 'earned it'. We are 150+ yrs removed from our Civil War, the modern infrastructure in this country would never allow anything but some cowboy with a gun to take a few lives on his way to his grave.

We need PEACE and ORDER. If you are not committed to our nation's military or law enforcement, you should be trusted like any other person with a gun, by legal or illegal means. You obviously don't trust the nation's collective effort to protect you, why should the nation trust you? Certainly less when it is 'you' that becomes the problem....like in the recent transpiring.

By 'you', i mean anyone with easy access to a deadly weapon and train your selves to kill. All these mass killings have not been over drug deals, or some gang beef, some grocery store robbery...they are nearly all from entitled people gone coo-coo that no one saw coming. Well maybe that kid would've hung himself off the balcony of his mother's mansion as opposed to load up his car with weapon's mommy bought him and bring terror to the lives of others.

It becomes another cold reminder where the entitlement in this country working is against it. Enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:21:49 AM PST
LogJam says:
Exactly my man.
Finding out why the unstable are unstable and how best to protect themselves and those around them is, admittedly, a rather herculean task, but an undeniably necessary one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:21:51 AM PST
Is it? When they're pointing it at your face with their finger on the trigger?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:22:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 8:23:13 AM PST
You don't really believe that ... do you? Watch a documentary called "Gun Fight". It's on HBO right now.

(not right now as in right now .. I mean it's been showing this month)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:24:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 8:26:06 AM PST
Sure. There's no black market for illegal weapons. Let's all stick our heads in the sand now.

And HBO? Man, that's hard-hitting objective journalism right there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:24:38 AM PST
"You're like some cold war relic. Have you ever stared down the barrel of a gun? I have."

I have as well and I know that feeling is not something I want to go through again without having some gun protection.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:25:52 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
If a person is already holding a gun in your face how is your gun going to help? Odds are that you can't pull your gun out fast enough to help.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:26:22 AM PST
I guess there are no criminals in the UK? No criminals in Canada? No criminals in Italy? No criminals in France?

The documentary was actually pretty informative. Information and facts and statistics seem to scare folks like you so I guess you wouldn't be interested. And HBO had nothing to do with making the documentary dude. It's just ON HBO.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:26:50 AM PST
FOGE says:
I don't know the details of that story. I just know a lot of criminals get guns illegally. Banning guns won't make them disappear. They will still be around.

I'll check out the show. I assume it's a documentary? If so thanks. I'm a big fan of documentaries.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:27:58 AM PST
That's why, in my case, I sleep with my gun right in the drawer of my nightstand. All doors in the house are locked as well. If someone tries to break into my home I'll hear them and get the drop on them.

My gun has a nice laser sight on the barrel and I also carry a blindingly bright Mag Lite flashlight.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:29:01 AM PST
I never said a word about banning guns.

See that's the sad part about this whole thing. Isn't it funny? Mention one word about changing the laws and it's "Don't take mah guns!!!" I'm not saying YOU said that but just saying that's the general perception. And it's a shame. And it serves a purpose. The purpose is to prevent ANY gun control whatsoever. The NRA rallied against child locks on handguns for Gods sake.

Child locks. On handguns.

Way to go!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:29:48 AM PST
FOGE says:
What kind of gun do you keep in your drawer? I have a Springfield XDM 9mm in mine. No flashlight though. I'm nervous it'll give away my position.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:30:11 AM PST
"I never said a word about banning guns. "

You've been implying that through this entire thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:30:21 AM PST
BF2009 says:
No he didn't - the assault rifle was used on everyone - the cornor stated that during a news conference.
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  512
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions