Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Obama's speech last night in CT...thoughts? Opinions?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 512 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:31:41 AM PST
You're joking right?

Am I on Candid Camera?

That "300 year old piece of paper" is the bedrock of our laws and our society.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:31:56 AM PST
Settle down there, Sparky. Obama's not been raging about gun control up to this point, and even last night he was intentionally vague about what ideas he was tossing around. We don't know if that's the direction he's going, and even if it is given his previous history as Presiden he's probably not going overboard on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:32:22 AM PST
The bigger question is why did she need the Bushmaster in the first place?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:33:02 AM PST
This is a real problem with out country having been around so long now (look it up, longest running constitutional government currently), we've turned the constitution into a bible instead of the living document the forefathers intended it to be. We quote it when it serves our purposes as though it's written in stone (guns), and amend it to stop things we don't like (gay marriage).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:33:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 6:34:16 AM PST
I love how people bring up statistics, statistics don't matter when you get shot you're still shot in whatever country your in. Gun control is never going to fix anything for the law abiding people except make it more hard to protect themselves from the real criminals or threats. If you don't believe in having a gun that's your prerogative just as it's mine to have the right to bear arms.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:33:06 AM PST
I'm perfectly serious. I know it's terrible when people have opinions. Relax and take a deep breath.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:33:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 6:35:48 AM PST
I stopped reading here: "I love how people bring up statistics"

Have a good one dude.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:35:19 AM PST
Oh I agree completely. I don't need to look anything up. I'm, unfortunately, well aware. People act as if Moses gave us the Constitution. It's a joke. And it's why we're a joke to most other industrialized nations in the world. We're backwards and puritanical. Any American who thinks America is "progressive" in any way needs to get on a plane and see the rest of the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:35:39 AM PST
Next time don't bring up an idiotic response then like "Statistics".

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 6:36:02 AM PST
Gun control is only good for those that control the guns.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:37:04 AM PST
Exactly. I don't see what gun control would have done in this situation. Those were all registered to his Mom and were purchased legally. Everyone keeps looking for something to blame this on, how about a sick and crazy human being decided to do something awful?

I'm not a pro-gun person, far from it, but I just don't agree that gun control would have prevented this (short of banning guns entirely, which is simply not on the table).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:37:04 AM PST
So, we should reconsider free speech and the right to peaceable assemble? How about the right to a fair trial? Or no searches without a warrant? Are those outdated too? After all, they are on that "300 year old piece of paper."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:37:37 AM PST
Keep reciting NRA pamphlet material. It makes you sound cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:37:57 AM PST
And yet you live in this country and are allowed the right to speak your mind thanks to the constitution, or "the 300 old piece of paper" as you like to say.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:37:57 AM PST
A lot of people saying, it's a rumor. It won't happen, it will never happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:38:14 AM PST
So are you saying that in general statistics have no value?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:38:39 AM PST
Nice trick. Too bad it doesn't work on anyone with an IQ over 85.

Laws are meant to be changed when they become outdated.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:40:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 6:40:43 AM PST
How about abortion? That seems outdated to me. The idea of murdering viable fetuses...it's just so draconian.

No, I suspect the only rights that are "outdated" are the ones you disagree with.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:40:13 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
What's wrong with the slippery slope argument that the gun users side always brings up like we, as a country, if we try to enact restrictive gun control laws will all of the sudden be giving all power to Big Brother and end up living in a Fascist regime overnight.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:40:54 AM PST
You mean like every other industrialized nation where people don't kill each other with guns? Or do you live in the 1950's where you think countries still round up their citizens and shoot them for "speaking out"?

Like I said ... what is your benchmark? You're saying I shouldn't want my country to be better because I'm free to speak out? I'm not sure what you're saying. I shouldn't speak out BECAUSE I can speak out? That makes perfect sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:41:02 AM PST
Where in this thread did someone say that we need to abolish the document completely? Some things in there are indeed good for us but to go off of it exactly is clearly archaic when society is not what it was at that point in time. What it needs is an update.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:41:24 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Yeah, having women use hangers and plungers is a much better way for them to get rid of children they don't want or can't take care of than a sterile medical procedure by a trained professional.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:41:41 AM PST
"No, I suspect the only rights that are "outdated" are the ones you disagree with."

The irony.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:42:12 AM PST
And the sad part is that it's just MARKETING and the American public eats it up like .. well ... like apple pie.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:42:18 AM PST
There's a reason it's the slippery slope fallacy instead of the slippery slope argument, because it's a fake thing.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  512
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions