Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Ehh, I don't think I believe in God anymore

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 746 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:05:54 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
You do realize that there are liberal religious folks out there with morals but still believe in gay marriage and a woman's right to choose. Some denominations have openly gay pastors etc. It is all how you interpret the bible. I am not religious but have decided to start going to church, so my kids can get more structure and grounding in life. I figure they can make their own decisions later in life to continue to go or not, and we will be attending a liberal church. I just don't want to stand in the way because I don't believe and foist my beliefs (too blatantly as it is impossible to not shape your kids and to get even deeper, I am shaping them by taking them to church)....Anyway, we will be attending, after football is over of course!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:14:02 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
You don't want to foist your belief on your kids, so you send them to church where they'll foist their beliefs on them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:19:39 PM PST
AndrewA says:
Lol I just remember our big existence discussion/argument didn't really ever come to a good resolution, and I'm still not sure I exist.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 11:22:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 1:36:05 AM PST
JinTX says:
Sounds to me like you're in the early stages of discovering your own personal approach to and relationship with "God". I've always believed whole-heartedly that the universe is far too mysterious and intricate to have come about by mere chance. However, I've also always had a deep-seated, inherent, through-to-my-core feeling that the world's religions get so much wrong even though they get so much right.

It makes no rational sense to believe that only one particular religion is correct, while all the others are wrong and doomed to burn for eternity (or whatever other version of the aferlife a religion might have). The Creator, let's call him/her/it, manifests differently for different cultures at different points in history, in a manner in which they can relate to him/her/it at that time. That's why we have different world religions.

The problem with religion in general is that man himself is a fallible creature. We are wrong 99.99% of the time, but the 0.01% of the time that we're proven right leads us to assume we are right far more often than we are. To think that man's miniscule intellect can comprehend and fully explain something as awesome as a higher power capable of creating the entire universe is foolhearty at best, and downright criminal at worst. The world's religions would have you believe this, that their religion's founder(s) somehow could comprehend this higher power. They will explain it away as "divine inspiration", but even if that were true, that "divine inspiration" has been re-told and re-interpreted countless times down through the centuries.

So even IF some higher power did reach down into the mind of a prophet and speak through that person to put down into understandable chapter and verse the outlines of a religion, the subsequent retelling and reinterpretation of those original words has distorted and mutated something pure into a vile and dispicable reproduction of the original.

If I'm wrong and the judeo-christian view of the world is the right one and the only path to salvation is theirs, then I accept the possibility that I will burn eternally. But in my heart of hearts I don't believe I am. God, for lack of a better word to ascribe a persona to the presence that created everything around us, gave us a world/galaxy/universe to explore that is infinitely complex and simple at the same time. We will strive for the rest of human existence to fully understand it, and him/her/it, but we never will. The essence is in the striving, and in doing so to come closer to our creator in our own individual way, without the distortions of man-made religion impeding our view.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:34:36 PM PST
I read through every post here, but can't recall if I saw where you clarified if you were a believer who isn't religious, agnostic, or atheist. Either way, you can still raise grounded, moralistic kids without church.

Check out Parenting Beyond Belief: On Raising Ethical, Caring Kids Without Religion and Raising Freethinkers: A Practical Guide for Parenting Beyond Belief. These are great as stand alone works and even better as companions. I have both and recommend them when I can. Depending on the age of your kids, there's also The Magic of Reality.

I'm not trying to stand in the way of how you raise your kids. I'm also not trying to insult your intelligence and I'm sure you're aware that you do not need church to build a family with structure. You just may not have known it's easier than you think and these books can help.

No offense intended and good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:57:31 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
No worries mate. I just want them to get the widest experience possible. My wife is religious and she would like them to go, but has never insisted. I just figure this will be one more experience for my children. Oh, I am an Atheist who leans Agnostic when it suits.

@RJ

Like I said above. However, Sunday School and other things will not harm a child. No matter what we do, we are foisting our beliefs on our own offspring. If they choose to become religious or not that will ultimately be up to them. But there are millions of children who avoid church and end up fine and vice-versa. I have no worries that they will end up being some sort of brainwashed zombies, other than being Steeler fans of course.

I don't tell them that Santa does not exist, and want and hope they believe as long as possible. Same with the Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy etc. Church is not going to harm them, if God is real then they are good to go and if not then they will be wiser hopefully when it comes to biblical history, which I find fascinating and it will reinforce manners and morals.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 4:26:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 4:27:55 AM PST
That's ok if you doubt nor believe in a higher power right now...at this moment in time...But the Goddess still believes in You...to do the right things in your life that make You a better person and that makes this world a better place...hugs*

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 5:33:57 AM PST
Church is dumb. Sunday is the day of rest. The day for sleeping in.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 6:05:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 7:55:45 AM PST
There are many pieces of literature I'd rather introduce my son to vs a piece of masochistic, hedonistic, chauvinistic, nonsense such as the Bible/Torah/Koran. I'm baffled as to why people still search for new insight from such dated drivel.

One example of an alternative would be the teachings of Buddha. The focus on releasing yourself from the hold of self-grasping, the heavy emphasis on living life in the best way possible to achieve Dharma, and the central tenet of loving even your worst enemy as if they were your own mother provides a wonderful alternate perspective.

As an atheist I refute the supernatural aspects of Karma/Reincarnation....But I find the philosophy behind these concepts to be infinitely more satisfying in comparison to [the majority of] that posited by the major three.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 6:35:06 AM PST
I don't know man... And maybe this is as a guy who still hasn't told his religious family that he's agnostic (though my my mother, I think, strongly suspects I've left the faith)... It's less that I fear that they'll shun me and more that it will cause undue duress to them and myself. This will bridge arguments that frankly don't need to happen, but will because of the very nature of the Christian mindset. They'd be very understandably worried about my spiritual well-being and would want to make sure things were put right again, but inevitably this would only lead to conflict between myself and them.

The funny thing is, my decision to leave the religion was not contingent upon any inherent hatred of the idea of the Christian God. My anger toward the concept of His existence only began after I started contemplating this and why I feel like I can never ever tell my family.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 6:41:40 AM PST
One of the surprisingly funny things about my son is that not only has he never believed in Santa, but he finds guys dressed as Santa particularly creepy. When he was just a bit younger, he was so scared of people in Santa costume that he would actually hide behind me when we'd pass the Santa's Workshop Photo Area in the mall during the holiday season. He's never believed in the Easter Bunny either, though he's never seemed afraid of guys in bunny costume, lol.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 6:43:32 AM PST
Clearly he watched "Silent Night, Deadly Night" at one time or another.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 6:44:50 AM PST
"It's less that I fear that they'll shun me and more that it will cause undue duress to them and myself. This will bridge arguments that frankly don't need to happen, but will because of the very nature of the Christian mindset. They'd be very understandably worried about my spiritual well-being and would want to make sure things were put right again, but inevitably this would only lead to conflict between myself and them."

Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about from my own experience too. It basically comes down to questions like this: Is there any good reason I should make my 92-year-old grandmother worry herself about my eternal soul? What would be the benefit? To whom?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 8:09:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 2:38:45 PM PST
Awe Really???

re: One of the surprisingly funny things about my son is that not only has he never believed in Santa, but he finds guys dressed as Santa particularly creepy.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry!!!

The Dwarf really thinks of SC as a "creepy" man in a costume??? Seems we have a Kindergarten Realist on the VGF!!!...LOL...

I guess lots 0 kids are even {{{scared}}} of the jolly OL man at that!!!

HO NO HO

EDIT: I hope that he believes in the majick 0 All Hallows Eve!!! winks*

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 8:29:32 AM PST
Very well said Tron.

Be who you are...and the people who trully love you and care for you will always be there by your side helping you succeed...not bringing you down. When it comes to faith, or the lack thereof, do what feels right and comfortable to you...don't concern yourself with what others say about how you should feel.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 8:31:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 11:07:33 AM PST
A-MEN MJM!!!...Bravo!!!

I think that is a beautiful way to think about faith or lack there of... as well as everyday life...

If you have loyal friends and people that believe in you...that you can count on to always be there for you....You're then never alone!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 12:06:42 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I slept til noon today! I haven't done that since college. That was great.

Even with the OT tag we really need to get this forum away from religion topics. I'm sick of seeing them here. I understand that many feel kinship with others on this forum and may value their opinions on non video gaming related topics, but there are ways to contact people directly to talk about stuff like this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 12:11:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 1:39:34 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 3:47:26 PM PST
"I don't know man... And maybe this is as a guy who still hasn't told his religious family that he's agnostic (though my my mother, I think, strongly suspects I've left the faith)... It's less that I fear that they'll shun me and more that it will cause undue duress to them and myself. This will bridge arguments that frankly don't need to happen, but will because of the very nature of the Christian mindset. They'd be very understandably worried about my spiritual well-being and would want to make sure things were put right again, but inevitably this would only lead to conflict between myself and them.

The funny thing is, my decision to leave the religion was not contingent upon any inherent hatred of the idea of the Christian God. My anger toward the concept of His existence only began after I started contemplating this and why I feel like I can never ever tell my family."

And if YOU ever need anyone to talk to, don't hesitate to message me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 3:48:01 PM PST
"Clearly he watched "Silent Night, Deadly Night" at one time or another."

GARBAGE DAY

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 3:49:15 PM PST
"I slept til noon today! I haven't done that since college. That was great.

Even with the OT tag we really need to get this forum away from religion topics. I'm sick of seeing them here. I understand that many feel kinship with others on this forum and may value their opinions on non video gaming related topics, but there are ways to contact people directly to talk about stuff like this."

<3 you too Fox XD

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 4:57:33 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Huh? Don't click on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:08:39 AM PST
Nicos says:
First, do your religious friends and family know that you are a brony? If not, tell them you don't believe in god, and then in the very next sentence tell them you are a brony. The one-two punch should take care of any problems you might have.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:12:43 AM PST
"He's never believed in the Easter Bunny either, though he's never seemed afraid of guys in bunny costume, lol."

Have him watch Donnie Darko. Creepy bunny costume in that movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 9:31:36 AM PST
There is nothing wrong with doubting. It's what you do with it. If you do nothing about it, that is bad. But if you seek out the answers or "ask to see the nail holes", that is good. Don't take other Christians/pastor's word for it. Read what Jesus actually says.

For example, I think the "church" has really hurt the homosexual community and for that I am trully sorry.
As a Christian, I have no part in that(and neither does Jesus). Check out some Christian scholars on some of the tuff issues(because there are) and come up with your own conclussion. And pray about it.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  746
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions