Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

What is the best early Final Fantasy game offered on PSN?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 65 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 7, 2012 9:05:12 AM PST
I recommend Final Fantasy IV Complete. I think it's the most representative of the series as a whole. It still plays and looks a little bit like I-III, but it has the cinematic nature and characters that people loved in V-X. It's also very easy to pick up and play. It doesn't have any complicated job systems, materia, GFs, etc. The music is excellent as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:54:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 8:54:45 AM PST
I haven't played Front Mission 3 yet (it's on my to-do list) but from what I'ce heard from people I trust, that's a darn good list. If you might be interested in non-turn-based RPGs as well, I highly recommend Vagrant Story. It's by the same same team that did FFT, and I'd say it's the best game yet made.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 8:47:43 AM PST
G-Money says:
Start in order - Final fantasy IV (second favorite), V, then VI (it is my favorite), then work your way through VII, etc.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 8:41:36 AM PST
R. J. Gutt says:
Well, I bought VII by accident. Also bought VIII and Front Mission 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:08:07 AM PST
OP says:
Well, you're not alone. I pretty much swore off the Final Fantasy series after playing VIII.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:05:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 8:07:38 AM PST
As I've explained before, Squall is essentially the antithesis of emo. His problem is very explicitly throughout the game that he doesn't emote enough.

I know where this misconception comes from: he spends a lot of time internal monologuing and being aggravated in his internal monologue; and he came right after Cloud, who was also a mercenary and was one of the most emo characters at that time in gaming. It's still a stupid misconception.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:04:03 AM PST
No, the underwater one was Ultima Weapon. Omega is an optional boss in Lunatic Pandora; a recolored version of the same (or very nearly the same) model, but much more powerful. I think it's supposed to be the hardest boss in the game, if memory serves right.

ninja'd under the sea!

@J. Pardee
Same here. I had a Genesis, a Gameboy, all sorts of games on my dad's Mac, and even a CD-i before I got my PlayStation (and had a few games for that before I got my hands on FFVIII), and I had fun with it all, but nothing got me passionate about any of it until I rented FFVIII a dozen years ago.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:35:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 7:36:31 AM PST
klopas says:
When you were growing up, was your dream to become a dark knight of the infamous Red Barons?

I wanted to be a dragoon!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:34:46 AM PST
Chunk says:
I do agree with you on that, I actually remember wanting the demo more for Tony Hawk at the time then IX. I still bought IX when it came out and just couldnt get into it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:34:00 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
IX is my second favorite FF game. I really love the medieval fantasy feel mixed with airships. The game has some of best characters as well. I still think Vivi and Freya's stories were some of the most interesting yet heart breaking stories in a FF game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:33:34 AM PST
Chunk says:
I totally get that. For me, VIII didnt click with me right away, but then I ended up loving the story and most of the characters. I guess the only way to change my mind is to play IX again. I haven't touched it since it came out.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:32:27 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
A demo of a heavily story driven RPG? Demos usually don't do those any favors.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:31:24 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
I really liked IX. It was funny, and very charming. However, it didn't quite click with me the way VII and VIII did. I feel as though I should've liked it more than I did. And while it's certainly better than VIII, the story wasn't as strong.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:29:55 AM PST
Chunk says:
I think I am the only one who just couldnt get into IX. VII was great, as was VIII. I remember a demo of IX coming out if you bought a pizza from Pizza Hut back in the day and was so stoked to play it, but I was disappointed in the demo. I may have to give it another play to see if I like it any more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:29:25 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
I did but Squall's Super Emo Powers activated and sucked it from me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:28:00 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Eden was Ultima Weapon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:27:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 7:28:45 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
No, that was just Ultima. Omega was in the last dungeon in the game. He looked similar to Ultima but was about 10 times harder.

Eden was such an awesome GF for how much damage he could do but the video for it was too long.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:27:21 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
You have no soul!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:26:42 AM PST
JWK says:
FF IX, no doubt

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:25:50 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
Ugh, Guess I'm one of the few on here that hated every character in FF VIII. I wished not only the main character but every supporting character to just die. The story is just a 50 hr love story to top it off.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:25:03 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Was that the underwater one? That b*tch took me hours upon hours! But I got the Eden GF from it, and it was worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:21:30 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
I played games long before VIII but VIII was the game that really started my love for gaming. Beating Omega in VIII was one of my first proudest moments in gaming.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:17:41 AM PST
Gameresq says:
The best "early" Final Fantasy games are FF VII, FF IV, and FF Tactics (in my opinion). I have the FF IV Complete Collection for PSP and it is difficult, but not overly so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:15:21 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
That is awesome. VIII is definitely one of the best.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:14:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 7:15:16 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I could never beat Diablo GF or Cerberus GF in that game, and I'm pretty sure that the only way I actually beat that game was using a Gameshark or Action Replay.

It's a hard game. Of course I was hot off the heels of VII where I could just powerlevel or use Knights of the Round and decimate anything in the game.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  65
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions